Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

How do you choose the landing runway ?

Posted (edited)

...especially at low wind conditions. I'm mostly flying PMDGs 737 and usually, I start programming my approach and runway when I've passed TOD. How can I find out which runways MSFS would assign to ai traffic (FSLTL) at that stage of the flight? There is nothing worse than ai using the opposite direction.

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

10 minutes ago, Nemo said:

How can I find out which runways MSFS would assign to ai traffic (FSLTL) at that stage of the flight? There is nothing worse than ai using the opposite direction.

what does the tower or local ATIS say?

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

11 minutes ago, turbomax said:

what does the tower or local ATIS say?

I cannot reach the tower from that distance (usually 80-100nm).

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

17 minutes ago, Nemo said:

I cannot reach the tower from that distance (usually 80-100nm).

You can use an app like LittleNavMap to find destination weather, which should give a pretty good idea of which runway to use.  This is what I do 90% of the time.

Also, some aircraft have destination wx in their EFB. 

Also, I believe MSFS now has a metar capability in its wx dialog, just type in the ICAO, although I never use this

There are also resources on the net for this, for example in the USA there is:
Aviation Weather Center

I usually plan my approach runway in PREFLIGHT, I don't like doing it before TOD.  For long-range flights or if you think winds have changed, you can get the TAF at websites life Metar/TAF:
METAR, TAF and NOTAM decoder for all 67,960 airports (metar-taf.com)

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I always check the Flightradar24, what runway real traffic is using. Usually Simbrief says the same, if not, i go with the Flightradar24.

• Like 6

Tapani Österberg

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

...especially at low wind conditions. I'm mostly flying PMDGs 737 and usually, I start programming my approach and runway when I've passed TOD. How can I find out which runways MSFS would assign to ai traffic (FSLTL) at that stage of the flight? There is nothing worse than ai using the opposite direction.

Since I always use realtime weather I look at Flightradar24 to see which Runway is active, or if it is a U.S. Airport at the published ATIS.

I don't fly with AI (or rather I fly with PSXT AI which uses realtime injected Traffic, so they will fly exactly what you can see on FR24), or I fly on Vatsim.

The problem on Vatsim are the unmanned stations. I find that often pilots who fly into a currently uncontrolled airport choose the approach Runway on a whim instead of checking what is going on in the Real World. At Vienna for example I keep on seeing people flying towards the wrong runway, which of course makes it harder for people who fly to the real world active Runways.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Virtpilot said:

I always check the Flightradar24, what runway real traffic is using. Usually Simbrief says the same, if not, i go with the Flightradar24.

I did that today on approach to KORD. FR24 showed all a/c landing at 27/28 runways. When I arrived, FR24 was still showing these runways in use, BUT, MSFS decided to use the opposite runways. The problem only exists when winds are very low, or when we have crosswind conditions.

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

I just get assigned a runway from p2atc, won't bother with AI traffic until there is an ATC system that can sensibly control them & myself....

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

PF3 assigns me the active runway in MSFS 2020. I can chose another runway if I want to. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

• Like 4

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I roll the bones. Dice !  Just kidding....

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

1 hour ago, Mace said:

You can use an app like LittleNavMap to find destination weather, which should give a pretty good idea of which runway to use.  This is what I do 90% of the time.

Yeah, LNM will even tell you best runways to use based on the weather.

I don't fly airliners, but I thought these days the FMS could show you weather and active runway?

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

The problem only exists when winds are very low, or when we have crosswind conditions.

Aircraft seen on FR24 can be using downwind ops for a range of reasons ..... noise abatment etc.

Your sim can't simulate that unless (as in P3D addons), you have controlled AI.

for now, cheers

john martin