Sign in to follow this  
psouthan

Terrible shuddering when panning with Frame Generation

Hello, I have Framerate Generation installed and dssl active. I have an RTX2060 card. I get great Frame Rates for my card, but I get a horrible shimmering/tearing around the aircraft when panning, it is especially bad when taking off, especially around the wheels and nose of the aircraft. Once in the air the double vision/shimmering effect gets less, but still noticable when panning, any ideas?

Thank you

Paul

I assume this does not happen when you are not using frame generation?

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Posted (edited)

The bottleneck with framegeneration is the VRAM (the RAM of your graphics card). Since there will be additional frames generated, the VRAM of your card (afaik 8GB) gets filled pretty quick. And that is the moment when the stuttering starts. So in higher graphic settings (MSFS)  framegeneration is only a good option for cards with more VRAM (30 or 40 series).

Edited by Watsi
  • Like 2

FlyByWire Simulations

54 minutes ago, Fielder said:

I assume this does not happen when you are not using frame generation?

Yes! It doesn't happen when frame generation is disabled.

Paul

3 hours ago, psouthan said:

Hello, I have Framerate Generation installed and dssl active. I have an RTX2060 card. I get great Frame Rates for my card, but I get a horrible shimmering/tearing around the aircraft when panning, it is especially bad when taking off, especially around the wheels and nose of the aircraft. Once in the air the double vision/shimmering effect gets less, but still noticable when panning, any ideas?

Thank you

Paul

I had a similar problem a while back and fixed it by using frame limiter with a max frame rate that’s a few frames lower than my max frame limit. 

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/screen-tearing-in-dx12-with-fg/629730

I also run the mod, and sometimes it helps to switch between DLSS and TAA. Happens in both modes, but switching between them fixes it. Untill it hapens again. Switch, problem solved.

http://dc2-fs.com

sigimavsim.JPG

Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.

No DC3 without the DC2

Posted (edited)

Check your VRAM usage, I assume your 8GB is full loaded, 8GB is not enough to use with FG.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

I assume your 8GB is full loaded, 8GB is not enough to use with FG.

It usually is though. In some situations, like badly optimized scenery, it will not be enough. 

The solution is to switch from DLAA to TAA and back. This frees up parts of the VRAM and FG will stop stuttering.

Edited by Farlis

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, psouthan said:

Thank you

Paul

This "might" be worth a try. I have a 3060 12 Gig on a second generation Ryzen 7. Try the MSFS 2020 Map mod, it now has 2 cache's DATA and Photogrammetry. I get 70 fps which is smooth as silk. Another tip if you are using Reshade with FG remove it, I gained over 20 fps. P.S. Don't forget to empty the cache's after every flight. Here is an example:

Edited by SierraHotel

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

5 hours ago, Watsi said:

So in higher graphic settings (MSFS)  framegeneration is only a good option for cards with more VRAM (30 or 40 series).

1 hour ago, Ixoye said:

Check your VRAM usage, I assume your 8GB is full loaded, 8GB is not enough to use with FG.

Respectfully disagree. 

RTX2070 and i3930k 😃

Nice video.
Could you try that in a high fidelity airliner (glass cockpit) and inibuilds Heathrow, traffic and heavy weather pls. 😉

• Like 1

FlyByWire Simulations

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Watsi said:

Nice video.
Could you try that in a high fidelity airliner (glass cockpit) and inibuilds Heathrow, traffic and heavy weather pls. 😉

I could but that would only tell me what I already know; I have an old and relatively weak system. 
Still doesn’t prevent me having great results with FG.

Edit; into Heathrow with high fidelity airliner, weather, a.i. traffic, with the same system but without FG. I'm going to take a wild guess here but would imagine I'm going to get the same results but with a higher frame rate with FG on?

Edited by DD_Arthur

3 hours ago, SierraHotel said:

This "might" be worth a try. I have a 3060 12 Gig on a second generation Ryzen 7. Try the MSFS 2020 Map mod, it now has 2 cache's DATA and Photogrammetry. I get 70 fps which is smooth as silk. Another tip if you are using Reshade with FG remove it, I gained over 20 fps. P.S. Don't forget to empty the cache's after every flight. Here is an example:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I did not see any panning in this video. Just switching between preset views.
I too tried FG on my system but as per the OP got game breaking stutters and pauses when trying to pan around using the coolie hat switch on my stick. I thought that it was, possibly, something in my computer/MSFS setup that was not paying nice with the FG mod so decided to revert to my usual TAA selection and also started using the AutoFPS app that seems to work extremely well. I have rarely seen my fps drop below 45 and the whole experience is seamless.

• Like 2

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

4 hours ago, SierraHotel said:

Try the MSFS 2020 Map mod, it now has 2 cache's DATA and Photogrammetry.

I get terrible stutters when I use the cache with the mod, but totally smooth when I don't.  I have the mods cache on an SSD.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, psouthan said:

Yes! It doesn't happen when frame generation is disabled.

Paul. Have you tried using the AutoFPS utility with FG?  It reacts to a target framerate and automatically adjusts TLOL and OLOD in increments to compensate.  The combination with the FG mode is providing incredibly smooth results for me and I have General Options in MSFS literally max's out.  Would take a very short time to test.  AutoFPS, upon install, has a very good configuration out of the box.  I'd recommend trying it.  You simply install it and run it.  No MSFS or nvidia tweaks required.

One note.  You can run AutoFPS on top as you fly, where you can monitor it.  If you do so, make sure you click on your running MSFS underneath to make sure Windows reccognizes MSFS as its active window.  Otherwise FG is disabled until you do.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere