Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

April 2024 Asobo Developer Livestream

2 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

• other areas of improvements: snow coverage, atc, life traffic, ground friction & handling

I am curious as to how they improved ATC

What is the benefit of using resources on 2020 next year? What a complete waste of money. Don’t give people reasons to not upgrade. 

• Like 1

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

20 minutes ago, MarcG said:

But do they keep supporting MSFS2020 for ten years like they claimed before release?

They never said that. They tried to say they were committed to the flight simulator franchise for at least ten years, not the first title (MSFS2020).

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

23 minutes ago, espent said:

What is the benefit of using resources on 2020 next year?

Not everyone will want to upgrade right away. Some people will probably want to wait until it matures a bit

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Not everyone will want to upgrade right away. Some people will probably want to wait until it matures a bit

I bought MSFS last week!

• Like 1

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

If I understood what was said -- I was working at the same time as listening so the stream did not have my full attention -- it is one world, whether you are in 2020 or 2024 all the world data is the same; so the two editions share a lot in common. It will not be an issue to keep both operating and I suspect they will leave 2020 for quite a few more years; it really does not cost them very much.

Because it is one world, any update to Bing or world updates to photogrammetry will apply to both editions, 2020 and 2024. These features will port backwards naturally. 

However, while I am sure there will be some sim updates for 2020 after SU15, I suspect these will largely focus on security and bug squashing and ensuring the sim remains accessible as hardware and operating systems change. I would not anticipate many further features, unless it is a feature developed for 2024 that is naturally ported backwards.  2020 is essentially complete after SU15. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dan Scott

11 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Ok. But keep using SU15 then. Everything today works as expected with it. 

There are still weirdos using FS9. That for is not because it is getting a lot of updates. 

I am totally fine of delaying SU15 to get that as good as possible. But then you should draw the line there and move on. 

everyone on GamePass will get 2024 for free anyway. 

• Like 1

I agree with Cognita above. MS/Asobo already said they won't abandon MSFS 2020 just because MSFS 2024 releases.. they said last year MSFS 2020 will be supported at least a "few years" after 2024 releases. That doesn't then mean they are spending lots of their development team time on MSFS 2020. Where the effort won't be too much and is feasible, they might backport some v2024 features to v2020 like Jorg said today. Outside of that, I feel like it'll be mostly bug fixing and maintenance mode type changes for v2020 after SU15.

• Like 2

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Another thing is that the hardware requirements won’t change, so that is not a reason to not upgrade. 

42 minutes ago, Rimshot said:

They never said that. They tried to say they were committed to the flight simulator franchise for at least ten years, not the first title (MSFS2020).

Precisely what I'm getting at, at least ten years of MSFS2020 alongside MSFS2024 and potentially a third iteration by 2030?

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

2 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Precisely what I'm getting at, at least ten years of MSFS2020 alongside MSFS2024 and potentially a third iteration by 2030?

Probably 2028. Looks like a 4 year thing.

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

I agree with Cognita above. MS/Asobo already said they won't abandon MSFS 2020 just because MSFS 2024 releases.. they said last year MSFS 2020 will be supported at least a "few years" after 2024 releases. That doesn't then mean they are spending lots of their development team time on MSFS 2020. Where the effort won't be too much and is feasible, they might backport some v2024 features to v2020 like Jorg said today. Outside of that, I feel like it'll be mostly bug fixing and maintenance mode type changes for v2020 after SU15.

But by doing that they're giving people the excuse not to spend £60 (example) on the new title, if the marketplace is the key then they're relying on people still buying off that for MSFS2020.

Then comes the time that MSFS2024 becomes so advanced that mods become backward incompatible because it's the new features, add to that things in the latest title that wont be in the previous (tornadoes the big weather selling point an example!).

I can understand some of the reasoning but I simply don't get it, I genuinely want to know what other game company has done this because I can't think of any, they're seemingly hedging their bets on people continuing to buy off the marketplace for years to come to warrant the need for two Sims back to back.

Edited by MarcG
  • Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

7 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Well, at some point support for older titles will stop of course.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, MarcG said:

But by doing that they're giving people the excuse not to spend £60 (example) on the new title, if the marketplace is the key then they're relying on people still buying off that for MSFS2020.

Then comes the time that MSFS2024 becomes so advanced that mods become backward incompatible because it's the new features, add to that things in the latest title that wont be in the previous (tornadoes the big weather selling point an example!).

I can understand some of the reasoning but I simply don't get it, I genuinely want to know what other game company has done this because I can't think of any, they're seemingly hedging their bets on people continuing to buy off the marketplace for years to come to warrant the need for two Sims back to back.

For all previous sims and most games in the past, the user who wants to keep using an older title has that ability to simply keep using it on their system without worries.. for something like MSFS which has a client/server architecture, the onus is on the sim developer to keep that support alive.

I feel that post SU15 they'll be doing whatever is minimally required in order to keep this support going for a few years. If backporting of some 2024 features to 2020 is not going to be that heavy in terms of development labour, then sure why not that too. In the grand scheme of things, if MS/Asobo are only spending a small portion of their development resource/time in order to keep v2020 going, it's a win win all around.

I really don't think that just because v2020 is continuing to be supported that a lot of users are going to hold back on v2024... there's going to be a flood of users jumping on v2024 without a doubt IMO 🙂 But regardless, it's good that at least those other users who want to only keep using v2020 have that option, without the server-side getting turned off soon after v2024 arrives.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Like said let's wait and see how this plays out, but my final point is I feel like it's a complete waste of resources personally, this is a game at the end of the day not an operating system that people rely on.

One more thing, I can already see the Q&A questions; 

"Why aren't you fixing game breaking Bug X in MSFS2024?"

"Because our team are working on a Sim Update for MSFS2020"

Yeah that's going to go down well

😁

• Upvote 1