Sign in to follow this  
Sethos

The Tobii Eye Tracker is fantastic

Trying to install a Tobii eyetracker 5 on my new Win 11 PC, but having no luck. Clicking on the Tobii hidden icon in the task bar, takes me to the MS store Tobii Experience download, but can't get it to download.   

The website gives you a manual download, Tobii experience driver v1.133, which downloads a file called  Tobii.EyeTracker5.Offline.Installer_4.183.0.30025.msi, that starts an install process, but then disappears, and nothing happens.

From Tobii gaming:

"Please note that Tobii Core Software is not compatible with Windows 11. Once your eye tracker has been plugged in, you should automatically get the driver via Windows Update and the Tobii Experience app from Microsoft Store."

But I can see some of the posters have Win 11?

I tried updating the driver via device manager, but it says the best driver is already installed.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Eugene

6 hours ago, AnkH said:

Do you mind sharing your settings? I know it might not be usable for my setup, but to compare and fine tune mine it might still help.

In the Beam app:
Head tracking output = Head & Gaze
Head Tracking Yaw Range 65
Head Tracking Pitch Range 65
Eye Tracking Responsiveness 5
Eye Tracking Yaw Range  10
Eye Tracking Pitch range 10

In OpenTrack under the filter tab:
Responsiveness: Position 1.00/Rotation 1.00
Drift speeds: Position 1.90/Rotation 1.90

• Like 2

Lloyd Noel (Ontario, Canada)

Intel i9 10900KF@5.2GHz / NZXT Kraken X73 AIO / MSI MPG Z590 Gaming+ / 32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance LPX / Gigabyte RTX4080 Super Gaming OC / Corsair RM1000e 1KW PS / 1TB WD Black M.2 (Win 11 Pro) / 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 .(MSFS2020) / 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 (XP12) / 1TB TimeTec SATA (Misc. & FS Support)

Does anyone with the Tobii have glasses with UV/blue light coatings on them? I was seriously considering buying it last year, but their website had a warning about NIR coatings on glasses, and I balked.

13 hours ago, mrlip said:

Do you wear glasses?

I Wear glasses. I have to turn off eye tracking or it won't work for me

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

I love the Tobii after using the Trackir for many years. It's light years ahead in my opinion.

Simhanger has some excellent video's on how all the settings work. i just followed this and it works great.

I tried the Tobii twice. I returned it both times. I could never get it to where it was stable for me. I went back to my Track IR . I always wear a headset so it's no big deal.

NAX669.png

9 hours ago, YukonPete said:

I Wear glasses. I have to turn off eye tracking or it won't work for me

Thats odd. I wear glasses and have no problem with eye tracking/head tracking  in any pecentage combination. Are your lenses tinted maybe ?

• Upvote 1

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

14 hours ago, Bones62 said:

Does anyone with the Tobii have glasses with UV/blue light coatings on them? I was seriously considering buying it last year, but their website had a warning about NIR coatings on glasses, and I balked.

I use blue light / UV cheaters and seems fine. I do use the eye tracking on several games, including MSFS. Though I keep ET to 5 in MSFS settings.

• Like 1

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

9 hours ago, Paul K said:

Thats odd. I wear glasses and have no problem with eye tracking/head tracking  in any pecentage combination. Are your lenses tinted maybe ?

Nope. Nothing I would do would calibrate the dots while wearing glasses.

• Like 1

Pete Richards

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

18 minutes ago, YukonPete said:

Nope. Nothing I would do would calibrate the dots while wearing glasses.

Varifocal's maybe, with your eyes looking through the magnifying portion of the lens down to the Tobii bar along the lower edge of your monitor ? If so, can you try with single vision ones ? I'm clutching at straws, admittedly. Single vision specs should be used with head tracking anyway.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

Posted (edited)

There's times I think about changing my TiR4 unit which I've had for at least 18 years. The track clip has never appeared to me, being forced to use headphones and devices wired to the pc. I'd end up forgetting and get up from my seat and have it ripped from my head. I do use the baseball hat which as you all know has its own drawbacks. I cannot sim during the day unless its a dull day, or I close thick curtains.

I keep being reminded of things with the Tobii which concern me. First of all having to place it below the monitor. My 48" LG oled monitor barely has a '"below". The bottom of the screen sits perhaps an inch above the desk. It also has virtually zero bezels...2mm at most so options to stick a mounting kit for the bar onto are next to zero. Only option is a small tripod or stand like can use with mobile phone. Tobii accessories are seriously overpriced. Line of sight also concerns me due to proximity of monitor to desk mounted honeycomb alpha and bravo units. I am not sure if they would obscure signals.

I had also forgotten about the tracking pause...does it seriously reset the view? That's a major problem as I sometimes pause trackir when struggling to set up radios etc in flight

Edited by cj-ibbotson

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

8 hours ago, Paul K said:

Varifocal's maybe, with your eyes looking through the magnifying portion of the lens down to the Tobii bar along the lower edge of your monitor ? If so, can you try with single vision ones ? I'm clutching at straws, admittedly. Single vision specs should be used with head tracking anyway.

I just use the head tracking and disable eye tracking. Works fine for me in MSFS 2020. However, it never worked in P3D 

• Like 1

Pete Richards

I've never been worried about wearing a cap and looking silly. I'm already sitting at my computer pretending to fly a pretend plane.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, cj-ibbotson said:

I had also forgotten about the tracking pause...does it seriously reset the view? That's a major problem as I sometimes pause trackir when struggling to set up radios etc in flight

Pause mode in the sense of freezing a framing like TrackIR is not possible.

However you have two interesting functions:
1 - Cropping: Reset Head Tracking hotkey [F12] (returns to camera view)
2 - Pause ToBii operation

Personally, I don't use it on liner because it moves too much to carry out configuration-parameterization tasks (example entered on the MCDU, EFIS, FCU, etc.) but on the other hand on AG (Comanche 250-A2A) with the tracking of the deactivated eyes and only the movement of the head, it's perfect.
I wear glasses and you have to spend a little time to configure it according to your own needs.

it works very well in daylight or with a desk lamp

Here are my settings in French, sorry

EGiER2C.png

Edited by Area
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2024 at 1:36 PM, tull said:

Tobi might be great but I’ll tell you guys… VR is we’re the immersion is bigtime!
Can never go back to 2D now. 

Never liked VR because of the low resolution and inability to see my tablet with Foreflight EFB.

However, I am getting a new PC and monitor in about a month and am considering a new VR headset (I have the Reverb G2).  I like the look of the Somnium VR1. Reviews say it is bright, good field of view and has a button to allow a look through camera to see my tablet.

Which headset have you got? The Primax Crystal has good reviews.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home