This is the first youtube comparison video that I've seen. The mod has changed just one of the default Asobo files. Each line in that one file has two numbers which are minimum and maximum height for that particular species of grass, shrub, or tree. Therefore you can modify the mod yourself, such as removing somewhere around the same percentage from each number, such as maybe one fourth. To swap, just drop the mod or modified mod into community.

Anyway, this guy's video, 5 days ago showing stock mod vs. default. (it's a payware $5 mod, not the free flightsim.to mod).

• Like 3

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

He mentioned city vs. rural. I use another mod, the free one on fs.to. I cut down all the numbers another 1/3. On the block of the street where I live the trees are no longer higher than the houses. So it did work in my city.

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I can't believe this still hasn't been addressed by the stock sim. We were complaining about this in the tech alpha!

Microsobo is way too stubborn for their own good.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

At least we have options.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kiwikat said:

I can't believe this still hasn't been addressed by the stock sim. We were complaining about this in the tech alpha!

Microsobo is way too stubborn for their own good.

I don't think they're stubborn. I think this is a deliberate engineering choice.

When you make trees less tall, you also make them less wide. This makes a forest look "thinned out", unless you also increase the number of trees - but that is going to cost performance. (I haven't checked out the mod yet to see if it places more trees in addition to making them smaller.)

And the way it works out, if you make the trees half their original size, you need four times as many trees to achieve the same impression of density. (If you imagine for simplicity that the trees are laid out on a completely regular chessboard pattern., then if you halve the width of the chess fields, there are now four chess fields in the space that was formerly occupied by just one.)

I think Asobo wanted dense forests but found they couldn't get the performance they wanted with trees of realistic size - so they made the trees bigger than they should be.

Should they make a different tradeoff - accept lower tree density, tie tree size to object LOD, give users a slider to control tree size? Maybe. But it's not a simple choice, and I assume they've had lengthy discussions about this.

Don't get me wrong, the unrealistically large trees bug me too, and I'm interested to try out this mod. But I'm pretty sure Asobo had engineering reasons for their choices, and I don't think it's fair to suggest that they're simply being stubborn.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

FWIW, Jorg talks about trees enhancements coming in MSFS 2024 at last year's FSExpo at this timestamp: https://youtu.be/VPhScg_FINE?t=1087 (much more tree diversity, 3D trees, correct tree heights, etc)

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 2

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Posted (edited)

2024 must have some wicked optimization for every tree to be a 3D model.

I‘m going to guess some extreme LOD. Only so many trees are full 3D at a time, and probably depends on how close you are.

Edited by Tuskin38

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

I‘m going to guess some extreme LOD. Only so many trees are full 3D at a time, and probably depends on how close you are.

I imagine they can use the current tech which is just fancy tree imposters as a fallback to distant LODs, they already look good from a sane distance.

That and better culling methods, DX12 offers gpu-based culling, question is how evolved FS2024 will be on those aspects.

Having said that the bigger challenge is shadows while LODs change, unlike simple shapes like buildings,  trees are self-shadowing complex structures so shadow popping may be more noticeable.

Edited by Inu
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I've been using this for a while... it's a nice difference I like it

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Posted (edited)

Why would I pay for an addon that just changes some number values?

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, martinboehme said:

But I'm pretty sure Asobo had engineering reasons for their choices

I think it's more a hangover from the FSX code base. The rationale remains the same, oversized objects make an area look more dense for fewer objects.

However, as I mentioned in a P3D thread a few years ago, all buildings and trees are approximately 33% ‐ 45% bigger than they should be, which gives a false sense of altitude and speed.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

6 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

I think it's more a hangover from the FSX code base. The rationale remains the same, oversized objects make an area look more dense for fewer objects.

However, as I mentioned in a P3D thread a few years ago, all buildings and trees are approximately 33% ‐ 45% bigger than they should be, which gives a false sense of altitude and speed.

Same as the clouds.  There is little sense of speed compared to flying through them in a real aircraft.

• Like 2

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR

1 hour ago, Tuskin38 said:

I think tree modelling will be simular to Xplane12 where I think nearby trees are 3D while trees further away they aren't , and don't need to be either.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

2 hours ago, martinboehme said:

I don't think they're stubborn. I think this is a deliberate engineering choice.

When you make trees less tall, you also make them less wide. This makes a forest look "thinned out", unless you also increase the number of trees - but that is going to cost performance. (I haven't checked out the mod yet to see if it places more trees in addition to making them smaller.)

And the way it works out, if you make the trees half their original size, you need four times as many trees to achieve the same impression of density. (If you imagine for simplicity that the trees are laid out on a completely regular chessboard pattern., then if you halve the width of the chess fields, there are now four chess fields in the space that was formerly occupied by just one.)

I think Asobo wanted dense forests but found they couldn't get the performance they wanted with trees of realistic size - so they made the trees bigger than they should be.

Should they make a different tradeoff - accept lower tree density, tie tree size to object LOD, give users a slider to control tree size? Maybe. But it's not a simple choice, and I assume they've had lengthy discussions about this.

Don't get me wrong, the unrealistically large trees bug me too, and I'm interested to try out this mod. But I'm pretty sure Asobo had engineering reasons for their choices, and I don't think it's fair to suggest that they're simply being stubborn.

This is a perfect explanation of why all this mods, free or payware, introduce stutters in heavy scenarios. You pull them out of the comm folder and stutters are gone.

Sergio Naiberg

REX Accuseason has an option for different tree heights. I'm guessing this works in the same way?

• Like 2

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776