I am having difficulty getting the Century IV AP & the GTN 750 GPS to work together.

Also, the magenta line on the GTN 750 is 'vibrating' & Green Text at the bottom of the display is flashing between ERR & TERR , [something like that, its very fast & hard to pick up the letters.]

The Century IV lights do not light up, other than AP ON, but if I have it on NAV  it follows the vibrating  Magenta line, but doesn't show NAV lit in either of the 2 AP status display panels. & it will follow HDG, but the HDG light also does not show up in the AP display panels.

Not sure if it is a Duke AP  issue or a 3rd party GPS matter.

Anyone else experiencing this?

T45

1 hour ago, Treetops45 said:

I am having difficulty getting the Century IV AP & the GTN 750 GPS to work together.

Also, the magenta line on the GTN 750 is 'vibrating' & Green Text at the bottom of the display is flashing between ERR & TERR , [something like that, its very fast & hard to pick up the letters.]

The Century IV lights do not light up, other than AP ON, but if I have it on NAV  it follows the vibrating  Magenta line, but doesn't show NAV lit in either of the 2 AP status display panels. & it will follow HDG, but the HDG light also does not show up in the AP display panels.

T45

Which gtn?  Is your PITCH TRIM switch toggled on?

I would just make sure either tht PMS 50 or TDS gtn is up to date.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, Treetops45 said:

T45

Sounds like the GNS issue. Did you make the changes to the js file? The Working Title bug is so bad that it affects all GPSs, not just the 530.

I have also had no problem with the trim in this aircraft and agree with the others that say it hand flies like a dream.

Posted (edited)

I can't understand these AP problems or GPS issues.  I do not use the WT 530/430, but with the TDS 750 she works perfectly.   The AP performs all maneuvers better than expected.  I often wonder if SPAD or AAO assignments result in conflicts.  I only use the default assignment/control center, and while it's not great, I have no problems.  Trim works just fine and everything.  Just as stable as the TBM's AP or trim.  I only have strange issues in the Baron, Caravan, or Bonanza where the AP climbs through the limiter about 25% of the time.

Edited by Orlaam
  • Like 1

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

The Pitch Trim switch is on & it was the PMS.

I'll check they are up to date.

T45

Posted (edited)

Flew the piston variant today for the second flight. I can’t shut down the engines anymore. I cut the fuel with the mixtures levers and the plane shakes, the engines sound like they are trying to shut down but the props keepin spinning. Manifold pressure indicates shut down engines. The prop rpm slllooowwwlllyyy creeps to a halt but after about 7 minutes. The only to  fully get the engines to shut down is by feathering the props. Not only that, once I do this to get the engines to full shut down, the plane keeps shaking like it’s being shaken by the engine pistons barely firing.

apparently strong winds keep the props windmilling? I’ve never seen that before.

Edited by ahsmatt7

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

2 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

Just tried the TDS again & it is functioning ok now, & the appropriate AP lights are showing up.

Used to hitting the VS button to invoke a climb rate so this AP is taking a bit of getting used to as regards setting the climb.

Will try the PMS again tomorrow.

T45

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Treetops45 said:

Just tried the TDS again & it is functioning ok now, & the appropriate AP lights are showing up.

Used to hitting the VS button to invoke a climb rate so this AP is taking a bit of getting used to as regards setting the climb.

Same here... TDS GTN... Works just fine, and yes, the ATT mode takes a bit of getting used to.. 😉

Bert

49 minutes ago, Treetops45 said:

Will try the PMS again tomorrow.

T45

There is a really nice manual that explains AP operation, among other things.  It's definitely an older style system.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

its actually kind of cool once you get the hang of it.

• Like 2

Ron

MSFS -Just flight Piper arrow 28-  A2A Comanche250 - COWS DA42 - Cessna 310 -Cessna 414
Black Square Baron - FSR500 - SimWorks PC12 - Black Square TBM 850
146Pro Plane - PMDG 737-600

5 hours ago, BennetHill said:

The Working Title bug is so bad that it affects all GPSs, not just the 530.

I'm not totally sure where this information comes from, but that is not accurate.

At the core is, the sim does not support hot swapping avionics. We have advised developers against utilizing hot swap, but they started doing it before the new GNS existed and as a result we were somewhat backed into having to try to hack around things to make that work and not break existing aircraft. The new GNS thus offers a hack to do some form of hot swapping and disabling. But, to be clear, it is absolutely a massive and brittle hack.

As a result, it can be particularly succeptible to slight changes in flight init, because it's not really operating within the contract of the API, which is what caused the issue in SU14. On normal flight init, where the unit is used in a normal non-hot-swap way, and not loaded after flight init, like it is when a system is doing hot swap, it works without issue.

There's new code in SU15 to work around this init issue. However, the code is indeed limited to just the GNS units. Other units experiencing these issues are as a result of using the same hot swap hack code we provided them. But adding the Black Square fix will not affect any other units. It is not possible for the GNS code to affect any other GPS units, as all of our GPS units are self-contained and include their own copies of any library code.

We will continue to try to stay in top of the hot swap hack through sim updates, if possible. However we do recommend highly against including hot swap capabilities in add-ons, and upcoming avionics like the G3X won't (and in this case are so complex in their inter-instrument communication that they can't) support hot swap.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

I appreciate your lengthy response and we all appreciate what you have done for flight sim a lot, but I respectfully disagree about it affecting other GPS devices. The code might not affect other GPS units directly, but when the SU14 GNS is started alongside other GPS's, like PMS or TDS GTN, there is a conflict that makes the autopilot unusable. The correct modes will not activate, and the GPS will not follow the intended course, even if you're not using the GNS. I think this is why Black Square had to disable the GNS, not just tell people not to use it on SU14, because my experiments show that any autopilot becomes unusable if the unpatched GNS is launched alongside it, and it's been this way since last year.

I hope you don't think I'm being rude. I hardly ever post on forums because I really don't like getting into arguments online. I know you're the expert and I can't fathom how all your code works. I'm just saying what I've observed.

Posted (edited)

Has anyone else found the piston (not grand) Duke to be a bit slow. I can only manage to get to about 160 kts IAS.

I'm setting the MP and RPM according to the checklists and I'm leaning to peak EGT.

I've only done a couple of flights and not read the manual in detail (I have watched a few videos, though) so it could be user error. 

Thanks

Edited by peregrine

3 hours ago, peregrine said:

Has anyone else found the piston (not grand) Duke to be a bit slow. I can only manage to get to about 160 kts IAS.

I'm setting the MP and RPM according to the checklists and I'm leaning to peak EGT.

I've only done a couple of flights and not read the manual in detail (I have watched a few videos, though) so it could be user error. 

Thanks

Just to rule something out is this for all flights? It's not a rocket but it will settle into a speedy cruise once leveled off and power /prop and importantly mixture is adjusted. Also definitely no flap still down? I once flew a 2 hour flight in the 736 pmdg with flaps 1 as my deteriorating eyes missed the flap dial. It was small enough to not think something was drastically wrong but enough to make me check everything else in the plane first. 

Msfs mixture is not the most accurate from what I've heard. The sweet spot is not always where it should be and it's not a smooth transition either. 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK