Sign in to follow this  
Lord Farringdon

Photogrammetry (PG) gets a bad rap.

Posted (edited)

PG has a lot of potential but server issues seems to plague it and users often complain about 'melted' buildings and a 'nuclear landscapes'. I have had as much myself but every now and then the planets align and tonight was one of those occasions while testing 30FPS locked in the Got Friends Optica. It was a butter smooth flight around New York and since it was going so well I thought I'd activate PG to load the system some more. This is what I got. Just Wow!   It gets a bad rap sometimes but when it's going well, PG doesn't deserve it.  

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JgYqPEwoWioQrq7a7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/t45eKa6akpKT8FWf6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GttjvKdyimAQbABW7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1VqffgzQT4iXQYF78

Edit:  Somebody let me know please if these images haven't linked. Thanks.

Cheers

Terry

Edited by Lord Farringdon
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

Nice pictures.  They have linked perfectly.  I fly around NY quite frequently and get similar results always using PG.  Add Samscene's New York City Times scenery and it looks even better - one of my favourite addons.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

1 hour ago, Lord Farringdon said:

It gets a bad rap sometimes but when it's going well, PG doesn't deserve it.

Absolutely. The whole spectrum is covered, pretty much. There are some areas that always look bad, some that are usually immaculate and very impressive, and then there's the general thing about how the servers are behaving. But I for one would never contemplate running the sim without it.

For me the worst thing is the PG tree obelisks. Even when the surrounding buildings are good, there are a lot of places (LA is one) where the landscape is full of green concrete blocks. I calls 'em "uglifacts", and if they go away with 2024 then that in itself would be all I'd ask of the new sim.

• Like 4

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

@Lord Farringdon Nice pics. If I may ask, what mods do you use to fix the NY bridges? There are some options on fs.to to fix the solid bridges, not sure which are best, or one package that does them all?

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

12 minutes ago, RaptyrOne said:

@Lord Farringdon Nice pics. If I may ask, what mods do you use to fix the NY bridges? There are some options on fs.to to fix the solid bridges, not sure which are best, or one package that does them all?

I use the RK Bridger mod.  It seems to be about the best.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I agree - PG works about 90% of the time for me (every once in awhile I get melted buildings but has seems to not be occurring as much lately).   Non PG areas are fine - but I really fell like I get more color variation in PG areas and to see football fields or other signage where I can read the lettering clearly really makes the immersion level very high for me.   

Also meant to say that the new system ASOBO is using for photogrammetry in the City Updates is excellent and much better than the older stuff.  I really hope we will see quality as good as this or better in flight sim 2024.

1 hour ago, cianpars said:

Also meant to say that the new system ASOBO is using for photogrammetry in the City Updates is excellent and much better than the older stuff.

You've got that right but I rather think they went back to the initial PG system when MSFS was released. The cities coming with the sim since August 2020 were already great back then.

If there's a new system Asobo is using, I must have missed it.  While I still run with PG on, my biggest gripe is indeed the melted buildings and lacking skyscrapper lighting at night.

• Like 2

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Shouldn't it be spelled "bad rep"? 

Because it's not that someone is rapping very badly about PG from time to time, but that it gets a bad "REPutation"?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CaptKornDog said:

If there's a new system Asobo is using, I must have missed it.  While I still run with PG on, my biggest gripe is indeed the melted buildings and lacking skyscrapper lighting at night.

It's called Triangulated Irregular Network or TIN for short.  It is massively better than what we had before and you may wish to Google it for a detailed explanation. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Farlis said:

Shouldn't it be spelled "bad rep"? 

Because it's not that someone is rapping very badly about PG from time to time, but that it gets a bad "REPutation"?

No, it's "rap" as in a bad rap sheet. 

A "rap sheet" is the list of crimes of the accused.  So if you have a bad rap, you've got a rather extensive rap sheet.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I love PG. I have slow internet (especially at peak hours) so it can take a while to load in at times, but once it has loaded in it usually looks pretty good. It's obviously far from perfect, but I'd take PG over the "Cities Skylines" look of procedural buildings any day of the week.

I fly in and out of Manhattan's three major airports all the time, and it looks fine to me. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310