Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The AVSIM Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Raw data ILSs...

Featured Replies

I've been doing raw data ILSs since 1967.  🤣

Using steam gauges and a manual throttle.  Did my ATP in a DC-3.  

Yea, I'm old.  🤣

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

5 hours ago, BlueStar said:

Yea, I'm old.  🤣

Me too.

I never used an autopilot when I flew for airlines. I always flew ILSs without any helpers (Flight Directors etc) when ILS was available. Sometimes, it was a VOR approach or even NDB approaches ... the horror.

I'm a little jealous of todays pilots with the glass cockpits and so on. Maybe that's why I really enjoy flying simulated state of the art aircraft.

Richard Chafey

 

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - NVidia RTX5080 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2024 All the aircraft

 

35 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

Me too.

I never used an autopilot when I flew for airlines. I always flew ILSs without any helpers (Flight Directors etc) when ILS was available. Sometimes, it was a VOR approach or even NDB approaches ... the horror.

I'm a little jealous of todays pilots with the glass cockpits and so on. Maybe that's why I really enjoy flying simulated state of the art aircraft.

I’m the exact opposite in regards to Flightsim. Since I fly airliners for a job today, I like to go back to less automated airplanes. 
 

 

FAA: ATP-ME, 737 CA, enough time in the 757/767 to be dangerous 🤠

Matt Kubanda, 7950X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 5090@4k, MSFS 2024

 

 

 

6 hours ago, BlueStar said:

I've been doing raw data ILSs since 1967.  🤣

Using steam gauges and a manual throttle.  Did my ATP in a DC-3.  

Yea, I'm old.  🤣

I was flying the E-110 when I got my APTL. I'm old too.

22 hours ago, RichieFly said:

Sometimes, it was a VOR approach or even NDB approaches ... the horror.

And for some reason, unknown to mankind

 EASA, in 2025, still mandates that we need plenty of hours of pure NDB flying (picking QDM/QDR, NDB holds, NDB apch) before those syllabus items can be marked as "completed" for instrument ticket.

Recently I got a VOR hold, followed by ILS apch via racetrack defined by an ancient NDB/Locator and timer.
Subsequent approach was the RNP down to LPV minimums (roughly 280 ft AGL).

That's some time travelling right there. If there ever was one.

 

EASA PPL SEPL + NQ / CB-IR in progress
MSFS24 | X-Plane 12 

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.