Sign in to follow this  
CTBlankenship

VAS, FSUIPC and FSX

OOMs seem to be plaguing some people and I just found out how to continuously monitor your VAS through the title bar of FSX using FSUIPC.  I have the registered version of FSUIPC so I am unsure if purchasing that product is necessary to implement this trick.  How to implement:

1.  FSX Menu bar | Add-ons | FSUIPC ...

2.  Select the Logging tab

3.  Enter an Offset of 024C (that's a zero)

4.  Enter a Type of S32 from the drop down box

5.  DO NOT check the Hex checkbox

6.  Press OK

Now you have a continuous readout of your VAS usage on the FSX title bar.  This suggestion works with people using FSX in windowed mode ... I am unsure about the other option (full screen).

ENJOY! 

post-254135-0-65218200-1389275454.jpg

• Upvote 2

For those running WideFS, you can watch your VAS on your remote machine by installing the LUA vas_monitor.zip.

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=VAS_Monitor.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

• Upvote 1

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog
  • Software: P3D ► MSFS ► XP11 ► DCS World

Hello Charles,  I am a novice compared to the knowledge you have.  Just as a matter of interest I carried out your instructions to the letter in FSUICP and on the top left of the task bar in FSX were the numerals 221460 (fluctuating) in relation to the 737NGX. I also ran on my other monitor the Process Explorer Sysinternals  which gave a reading of 1997908k (fluctuating) both yours and this in tandem. This means nothing to me but maybe you can read into the differences.  No disrespect intended.  Richard Welsh.

Richard:

Sounds to me like the two programs are monitoring the same thing (yea ... I know ... duh) since the values are so similar (enough) ... the question becomes "Which do we trust" ... personally I'm going with FSUIPC as it is the one that starts "dinging" when VAS is running critically low. 

The only way to test this is to enlist someone, who is frequently experience OOMs, to install both programs and let us know the values of each when the OOM occurs.  Do we have any volunteers?

I personally have never experienced one in my short two years of flying ... maybe this is due to the fact I always used a 64-bit OS which allows all of my other programs (Electronic Flight Bag, ASN, FTX Global, 5 FSDreamTeam airports, IE, Visual Studio 2012, SQL Server Enterprise Manager, StrataFrame, Word ... the list goes on).  

I currently have 16GB of RAM (G.Skill PC3 17000, 9-11-11-31, Model F3-2133C9Q-16XL) ... four sticks ... as per NickN's instruction.

If you check "FS WIndow" it will also be continually visible to full-screen users. Thanks for the tip.

Here's Ideal Flight 10's take on it:

Stock FSX and Beech King Air 350
FSX Peak VAS: 0.303751168 Gb at start
FSX Peak VAS: 0.778596352 Gb at end flight

Stock FSX and Beech King Air 350 + FSUIPC .dll Unregistered version
FSX Peak VAS: 0.415244288 Gb at start
FSX Peak VAS: 0.896458752 Gb at end flight

Stock FSX and PMDG 777-200LR
FSX Peak VAS: 0.983674880 Gb at start
FSX Peak VAS: 1.620566016 Gb at end flight

(Figures taken from IF10 >augmented flight log.)

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Do we have any volunteers?

My understanding from running it last night was that the FSUIPC data displays available bytes left/available, while Process Explorer displays bytes used.

I could be totally wrong.

Kyle Rodgers

Now Kyle ... when have you ever been wrong :P.  Do you have anymore cool videos for me to watch.

Thanks to you and Derek for clarifying.

I found FSX SP2 on Win8(64) triggers the OOM error at around 650Mb remaining.

From IF10's flight log where FSX OOM'd:

"63539837626: FSX Peak VAS: 3.644796928 Gb, 4.294967295 Gb available, 0.650170367 Gb remaining"

The log shows usage increasing with each stage of the sim loading and running so it's easy to monitor VAS used throughout the flight. a warning triggers at around 768Mb to go and shows the current loading.

FSUIPC starts pinging around 700Mb to go.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Now Kyle ... when have you ever been wrong . Do you have anymore cool videos for me to watch.

haha - plenty of times, and often very publicly :ph34r:

(Just ask Kevin about my lesson on simulator certification. Even Robert's handed me crow to eat way back when...I think it was about the accuracy of flight directors, where I was spouting rubbish as a newly minted college grad who clearly knew everything...haha)

I have another video set up.  I just need to finalize the recording.  Later today, perhaps.

Kyle Rodgers

That is useful information and a unique way of getting it. Very helpful. But who wants to look at a wide green bar during the flight?

Michael Cubine

As an FYI, the FSUIPC "ding" will come on when you have 300MB or less of VAS remaining before OOM.  And yes, the number that you are setting at that offset is displaying bytes left before OOM.

But who wants to look at a wide green bar during the flight?

Huh?

It's displaying the info in the Title bar of the program (for me anyway - I'm running in windowed mode, though).

Kyle Rodgers