Sign in to follow this  
Guest KemoF15

New Airbus Cockpit Shot

Guest KemoF15

GentsInteresting posts regarding new Bus from Feelthere/Wilco--have flown it for 3 days now--most of the "write-ups" in other posts are correctable if you study the operating handbook. Clearly some bugs but for a new release in arguably one of the most complex systems out there, not bad at all.I've only flown it in FS9 and in 2D cockpit mode (see pic). What I can say thus far (with over 2000hrs real world fast jet experience).- Superb parametric/flight modeling- Detailed systems interface via Flight Management and Guidance Computer (FMGC)--think of it as an FMS on steroids- Steerable pushback utilizing PPU- Selectable configuration modes (beginner, intermediate, expert)- Good sound (can select panel volume separately)- Good night lighting (flood)--thumbwheel on mouse can turn brightness up or down on MFDs- Passenger wingviews are included- Integrated TCAS--touchpad transponder--very nice- Superb external details/paintjob- Selectable ECAM views- Realistic strut compression and "feeling" of touchdown- Superb auto brake- SIDS/STARS are selectable along with correct transitions (AIRAC is 610--Feelthere has not updated AIRAC)- Easy to store routes once you've manually enteredWhat I'm still trying to figure out/what I haven't tried:- The multitude of FMGC entries/parameters/and phases- System descents- Holding procedures- Go Around procedures- Importing FSplans/FSBuild data What I think I don't like but am still working:- Insufficient drag with speedbrakes extended- Near constant throttle management in autothrust in descent/low speed regime--easier to hand massage throttle in this regime- Haven't figured out interim level offs when TOGA or FLX thrust is applied in a climb--aircraft wants to climb through interim level offs when in high thrust situations but with the altitude selected on the MCP- Localizer intercepts within 30 degrees are not very accurate--overshoots everytime--I find the jet wants to chase the localizer (with LOC selected)- Aircraft will not intercept glideslope if above glideslope when APPR mode is selected--critical to be at or slightly below glideslope intercept altitude in order to have GS captured (attached picture shows ILS approach with LOC/APPR/autothrust modes selected--the approach was spot on to include an autoflare to landing)--although the jet initially overshot the Localizer and overcompensated about 15nm out- I've had a couple airspeed tape rollbacks and simultaneous thrust increase which usually means pitot/static icing--though I had pitot heat selected--hmmmmmMany of these may be related to overall inexperience in the platform--and as I said, I will continue to work/practice.Overall--not as "crisp" in the approach regime as a PMDG system--but a very good add-on in my view.RakeBusILS.jpg

Excellent post/report. My understanding of not intercepting when above the glideslope is that it's a FS limitation. I see it in all my addons.Have no idea how that corresponds to the real world.Jim Harnes

Guest Pilot533

I doubt that it is a limitation, and even if it is, good devlopers find ways to get around these limitations. Seems from the post that the bad is right now outweighing the good. There is just not enough attention to the small (and even many large) details.

There is indeed a limitation in FS related to positioning yourself ABOVE the GS and has been well documented since FS9 release if not before...do a search and I'm sure you'll find it:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

I doubt that it is a limitation, and even if it is, good devlopers find ways to get around these limitations.The aircraft and it's instrumentation do not intercept the glide slope in Flight Simulator.There is no glide slope or localizer or VOR or NDB signal in FS. There are no stray electrons floating around in the airspace in FS, unlike the real world.At a very basic level, Flight Simulator calculates where your aircraft is located and what, if any, Navaids should be in range and how they should display in the cockpit. It is well tested and documented that if FS2004 calculates your aircraft is above the glide slope a relatively small amount, the autopilot APPR mode will NOT intercept.Yes, developers could get around it. All they have to do is replace the entire FS flight, navigation and aircraft position engines / dll's, modules, etc.This same calculated effect of radio waves is why NDB and VOR's are usable when their signals pass through mountains. Why GPS system are reliable in FS in locations where they can only pick up one or two satellite signals - and are totally unreliable in the real world.

NPFS is realistic enough that we often forget that things like Navaids don't really exist but are only have their performance replicated by programming rules, which hope to average out and emulate real world physics.The programmers are very good, but it's a very big world.

Guest alexm

Hi Rake,good post there. I cant say that my experience with this bird has been as positive or as optimistic as your analysis though, but we all have our own opinions after all.A rather comprehensive list of current bugs/issues has been posted over at the feelthere off topic forum by marios, it can be found at the following link: http://www.iemit.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6920. I dont think that many of these can be correctable by simply studying the operating handbook, but perhaps you can offer some suggestions to the contrary?Many of these I have discovered after a similar period of ownership, just about 2 days now, some of them are related to systems that I probably wouldn't encounter on a trip from point a to point b so they haven't cropped up for me yet. However it is perfectly clear that the FeelThere bus needs an awful lot of work to be a nice FS simulation of the systems and characteristics of the Airbus. Note that I dont say 'perfect' simulation, just 'nice'. I dont expect Level D multi-million dollar quality in a $50 add-on, so don't flame me for that!I still believe that FeelThere will come good with this effort, it just will need a certain amount of time and patience on our part as purchasers. As many others have said, it is not the first release to be issued with bugs etc. It is simply that some of the bugs are so obvious that it beggars belief that they were missed/overlooked during beta testing. Anyway, thats my two cents Alex

I am reluctant to dive in on this, or any threads, about the Airbus, but I can assure everyone that FS requires you to be below or at the same level as the Glide Slope vector in order to capture. You might be lucky occasionally if you are 100 feet or so above, but it's best to be slightly below.Over and out.Rob Young

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Right Rob, the fact is that many simmers fail to make the distinction between a sim limitation and a product bug. Everyone is better off if they understand the differences and it saves devlopers from suffering the "XYZ Product has a failure to capture glideslope bug" when in fact the issue is pilot error:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest PARADISE

This is why I usually hand fly my ILS approaches, or if a GPS,VOR or even NDB approach is also available in lieu of an ILS, I will use it for heading guidance to the runway and control the descent manually. Simply tune in the ILS frequency on NAV 1 and chooose the other approach on your Garmin. This allows you to intercept above the glideslope and still fly the approach and you can also fly a lesser than 30* localizer intercept. In real life simulator training we rarely fly approaches with full auto pilot engaged. That's too easy. I know most simmers want to fly the aircraft just like the "big boys" do, but believe me, most "real" pilots would rather hand fly an approach when given the chance. That's why we went through all that training. Or was it so we could wear cool sunglasses, I forgotJohn M:-cool

>This is why I usually hand fly my ILS approaches, or if a>GPS,VOR or even NDB approach is also available in lieu of an>ILS, I will use it for heading guidance to the runway and>control the descent manually. Simply tune in the ILS frequency>on NAV 1 and chooose the other approach on your Garmin. This>allows you to intercept above the glideslope and still fly the>approach and you can also fly a lesser than 30* localizer>intercept. In real life simulator training we rarely fly>approaches with full auto pilot engaged. That's too easy. I>know most simmers want to fly the aircraft just like the "big>boys" do, but believe me, most "real" pilots would rather hand>fly an approach when given the chance. That's why we went>through all that training. Or was it so we could wear cool>sunglasses, I forgot>>John M:-cool Ah, another one who likes to hand fly the approach:-) My charter pilot buddy hates to wait on the AP to capture unless it's real hard IMC and he hand flys the approach nearly as well as any AP:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Very informative VC shot. Thanks.Anyone besides me notice that it puts the nail in the coffin regarding the so-called "copywrite issue" of the center panel's graphics?Obviously, my "WIP theory" about the website's preview screenshots has been validated... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bill,Nice to see a post with some sense posted on that issue. Myself.. I am tired of all the little legal eagles running around here playing copyright cop. How many have taken let alone passed any BAR exam. I am glad you posted that.Thanks,Scott

I'm also reluctant to dive in, especially to say that you're wrong Rob.The Dreamfleet 727, using a correctly programmed Sperry Sp50 autopilot in MAN GS mode will accurately intercept the Glide Slope from above.Sorry.Greatest Airliners - DC-8Greatest Airliners - 727 Whisperjethttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...BANNER_PAUL.jpg

Cheers

Paul Golding