Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stanner1953

Anti Virus Software - AVG or McAffee??

Guest Stanner1953

My computer takes about 4 minutes to shut down. The local computer store guru cleaned up my computer, but told me that the McAffee anti virus, fire wall software was the culprit.I have read that AVG anti virus, fire wall software has less of an effect on the computer. Does anyone have experience with AVG, and is it as computer friendly as I have heard? Does it do a good job?Thanks.Stanner

Guest Eek

AVG is very resource and user friendly and works well in my experience. I've tried them all and wouldn't use anything else. If you try it and don't like it, it uninstalls cleanly, unlike the other guys. I always shut it down for FS, but if you insist on having it running while flying, you won't suffer as much of a performance hit with AVG.EwingKATLAlcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.MSI K8N Neo2 PlatinumAMD Opteron 185 2.6 Ghz Dual Core2GB Kingston HyperX (2X1GB) Dual Channel DDR 2-3-2-6 @ 1TXFX nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS 256MB DDR3 AGPSound Blaster Audigy LSSilverStone Decathlon 750W +12v@60A +5v@30AFS9 on WinXPPro (SP1)

Sounds like some kind of conflict, certainly not a generic McAffee problem. I have the Mcaffee security suite provided free of charge by Comcast, and I don't have that problem. I wouldn't begin to say that McAfee is the best solution out there, but it shouldn't by itself cause the problem you are seeing.

For what is't worth, McAffee has been problematic in my experience for years. I have tried it several times over the years and always ended up replacing it with another program. The "other program" has been Norton, PC-Cillin, and now BitDefender. In each case the problems went away when McAfee went away. It may be better now, but if Comcast offers it for nothing, it can't be worth much. Comcast isn't in the business of giving you anything of value unless you pay for it. Recently Comcast took the NFL Network away from us and will not give it back unless we pay more. But that's another topic.

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

MSN supplies McAffee free too to subscribers. When I use AutoStart I get red lettered statements that AutoStart can't shut it down. I tried to shut it down manually but get a statement that I don't have administrator access which is BS.I think when a server supplies the anti-virus software for free the computer owner and administrator can't shut it down because McAffee sees MSN as the software owner.

I've been using AVG for a couple of years- never any problem and can't detect any negative impact on FS9. I leave it on with FS. Local computer store recommended it- they say it is all they install on new machines.Alex Reid CYYJ

AVAST is the best free antivirus there is.Because it leaves such a small footprint thus freeing up more CPU power.All the PMDG guys use it so, what does that tell you?

Dave Taylor gb.png

>>AVAST is the best free antivirus there is.<

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

>>>AVAST is the best free antivirus there is.<<>>Does it come with a firewall? AVG does, but it's not free if>you want the firewall.>>JeffNo it doesen't, what do you expect for nothing eh? I don't know if the payware upgrade contains one?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest Dan G Martin

The payware version (AVG) does come with a good firewall along with several other goodies. I have it installed on all our machines (I beleive it's only around 25 dollars or so per machine) I as well find little impact on our machines and would recomend either version to anyone I know.Dan Martin.http://www.flightontario.com/images/sig_dmartin.gif

I've used nothing but the freeware version of AVG on all my computers at home for years (I currently run 7) and have never had a virus or a problem -- I've dumped bothe Norton and McAfee both for AVG. It's the best anitvirus software of them all, IMHO. I don't know about their firewall -- as far as I can tell, the only thing a firewall really ever keeps out are the other computers on your own network. ;-)Chuck B.

Guest aca_dia

Nod32 is great and it also ranks at the top for detections across the board. It also has an extremely small footprint on your PC.

I guess I'm blind or just not with it today, but I can't seem to find anything except a "pay' version.