Sign in to follow this  
Rocky

AI Traffic Sound

Thanks for all your efforts Chris. Please keep us without Windows 7 yet posted.

When FS9 starts, and then in turn FSUIPC starts, it's .ini file named "FSUIPC.ini" starts FSHotSFX via a shortcut written in the file.. that's where I'm not stuck and I get an error message.So, to sum it up.. I do have FSHotSFX running in Windows 7, but it won't communicate with FSUIPC.... YET! Keep the faith, I'm still trying! I'll update my findings when I have something worth reporting.Just in case someone reading this can help in the quest... here is the the text from the FSUIPC .ini file and the shortcut that needs to be altered to let it communicate with FSUIPC: [Programs]RUNIF1=CLOSE,"C:\Program Files\FSHotSFX\FSHotSfx.exe MINIZ" <------- I need a shortcut inserted here to tell FSUIPC where to find the FSHotSFX.exe.. this default shortcut doesn't take into account that your connecting from Windows 7 to XP Mode.You can work around this by just simply installing FS9, scenery, utilities, and planes in the Virtual Windows XP environment.. it is a full copy of XP SP3 and looks, runs, and feels just like XP... because it is :) I haven't done it this way myself because everything is already installed into Win7... but it will work.
Fantastic work so far, I'm very tempted to just reinstall FS9 in XP using the Virtual PC feature. With regards to FSUIPC, this link might help, as it is a forum thread in which Pete Dowson, the fellow who develops FSUIPC, takes part:http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?...4e8c4d48212abebIf you get in contact with him and explain the issue, he might very well be able to develop a solution.Once again, thank you so much for your hard work so far!

Add my thanks too for the update, Chris.I installed XP 64-bit on a partition of my hard drive and have FSHotSFX working just fine right now. It would be nice to have the program running in Windows 7, but since I got a lot of hard drive space to spare, I'll use XP to run FS9 for now. By the way, when I sent my email to get another registration key for FSHotSFX for the new hardware, I got a response back within 30 minutes.

Guest Crewchief408

I had to send for another activation key as well and had a response quickly too... so evidently someone is still out there monitoring registrations, I just wish they would still support and update the program to work in Vista/Windows7 ... Dear Santa..

Yea, the guy tends to respond to emails but not his forum? Maybe you should email him about this thread as a working version of FSHotseat in Windows7 would mean more sales. That should perk his ears up. :( Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I thought I might bump this thread to see whether any progress had been made on this front? I've tried a few different things, but I still can't get it to work. Very frustrating, I don't play FS2004 nearly as much as I used to because of it.

I recently started using FSHotSeat again. Just for AI sounds though... But now FSPassengers just drops dead after take off, on 7000-10000 ft altitude every second flight. It disappears from the menu and in flight screen just shows "No Passengers". I'm not 100% sure FSHS is causing it, but I never had this issues before it was installed.Does anyone else here have same issue or has any guesses what causes it?Paul

xdye: although I uninstalled FSHS months ago in favor of my own solution (see previous posts in this thread -- really working well for me!) I ran FSPassengers with it for quite a while and had no problems whatsoever. Have you tried uninstalling FSHS and running FSPassengers to see if it really is the culprit? Unfortunately, if that doesn't work I don't think you'll get much help from the FSPax support dept. on a 'legacy' addon like FSHotSeat, so you're best bet might be to email the developer of FSHS. Last I checked he was still answering questions via the address given in the readme.

Thank you for an answer, Trelane! I narrowed the problem to FSHS for sure. As I flew several flights without it and FSPax was running smoothly every time. It may be an issue of FHSH working together with some other add-on.Anyway, hope to get an answer from support.

(I appologize in advance for my rather long post, but even if I'm not new to FS9 at all and am using it and have been already since it's out, and having been tweaking around with it, I have just started to post in the AVSIM forum yesterday. I used to be a silent reader and freeware downloader here who tried to figure his problems out by himself by reading. But over the years I encountered problems that I couldn't solve without asking other people, so here I am. But I won't talk about those things here yet.)I didn't even know there was such an interesting thing like FShotSFX over all the years... I also love to have a lot of AI flying around, and particulary to just watch it and to park next to the beginning of the runway and spot it. As all you guys, too, I wasn't happy with the AI silence.I am using modified AI sounds from AVSIM which gives my jets one single and never changing sound, the turboprobs have another sound, and the small Cessnas and so on have their sound too. But that's about it, I guess that's still pretty standard, only the sound files have been replaced.I am euphoric to see that there is something like FShotSFX to change that. BUT, I am afraid, too.. This program seems very old, has no support anymore, and it affects the FSUIPC.. and I have a newer FSUIPC version than FShotSFX claims to want to install..I am using quite a lot of Payware addons like PMDG737-800/900, Flight1 ATR72-500 and AES (which somehow did get messed up already and I don't know why or how to fix it) and I don't want to mess anything further up than necessary, as my FS9 is stable and running.I also am I big fan of FSPassengers which I use nearly every flight and I have many languages and crew packages installed, which makes airliner flights much more interesting and brings my cabin to life, and even the copilot is talking from time to time, not reading checklists though, but that's enough for me though. I even let run all my ATC chatter wav-files via FSPassengers, too. It creates a nice atmosphere in the cockpit, as I have collected so many atc chatter files from many areas of the world that I let play by setting a certain COM2 frequency and they play then until I change the frequency again etc. I created frequencies for many regions and countries I fly over, just for FSPassengers. But for MY OWN ATC I stick to the standard FS9 with mute sound.I read so far that people who tried to use FS Passengers and FSHotSFX at the same time experienced FS Passengers to crash? That would be a pain... I am very much interested in the AI sounds.But my FS9 is bloated up with MyWorldComplete, than lots of Payware Scenerys and Payware airports, Freeware stuff too, a lot of AI traffic all over the world, that I installed manually by using TTools and AI Aardvark and Fruit Stand AI planes etc and replacing the ugly MyTraffic models over the years, and I keep all my traffic in one single bgl that I modify regularly when airlines change fleets or flight plans. It is a merge file between the old MyTraffic flightplans that are getting more and more replaced by real flight planes and recent liveries. So, real and busy traffic all over the world which mostly uses MyWorld or Mytraffic AFCADS which I didn't dare to touch yet mostly...SO, having the correct AI sounds from the rather silent AI planes taking off and landing would just be awesome. But I am even hesitating to install the FShotSFX demo because of possible conflicts with other addons or tools I am using.What are you suggesting? What are people's experiences, who uses the same Addons and what problems did you have after installing FShotSFX? Is it still worth it? What damage does it do? And the people who backupped their FSUIPC, what files did you backup exactly? Did FSPassengers users backup FSPassenger files? And if so, which ones? How and what did you do exactly? And if you had to get your flightsim back to the state before the installation, did you succeed? If so, how?I won't install this thing until I know, sorry...Thanks in advance

Sorry for my typos, it somehow doesn't let me edit my post. Of course it's flightplans* and then*, not "then".

bene, I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can because I've been using FSHotSFX for years now.1) You can use the latest FSUIPC with FSHotSFX as I do. Just install the latest FSUIPC as per normal.2) FSHotSFX needs two things changed within FSUIPC to work that is the TCAS ID(?) parameter is changed to "Type+" and the TCAS range is changed to "10". This will negatively affect both RC4 and PFE works with FS9 as both need the TCAS ID be set to "Flight" and TCAS ID set to "0'. In other words, FSHotSFX does not really work well with both RC4 and PFE so you should use the default ATC if you use FSHotSFX.3) FSHotSFX installs two lines into each airplane's aircraft.cfg file that you have for FS9. This installs whether the aircraft is AI or not. The two lines can be seen at the bottom of the aircraft.cfg file. The two lines don't affect anything else and can even remain behind if you decide to uninstall FSHotSFX.4) I've seen no performance hit from using FSHotSFX.5) I used FSPassengers quite a long time ago and don't remember having any issues with it and FSHotSFX. But that was a long time ago.Other than the conflict with RC4 and PFE, I have no issues with FSHotSFX.

Edited by WallysWorld

FSHotSFX may have proved to be useful to others, but I 'd like to say the following on that topic :I downloaded and installed FSHotSFX. I noticed that it did not touch FSUIPC.dll, but did change the FSUIPC.iniduring installation. It also made an aircraft.cfg backup, just in case. I tried to view the demo next. I went to KORDas suggested and waited for AI aircraft to line up and hear their spool up during their take off.Unfortunately, nothing else was heard apart from the usual sounds, I always heard. I may have missed somethingwhich could be the reason that I finally was unable to view (or listen to) the demo - that's another story.That program though made another unwanted change. All AI aircraft callsigns were altered (as seen through TrafficLookand FSAI Separation) to alpha-numeric ones, in a way that became impossible to identify.After that, I uninstalled FSHotSFX, assuming the task to restore my FS9aircraft 8GB size folder.Please note that I don't RC4 or FSPassengers.

Sotiris Stavrakis

Thank you for your very kind answer, WallysWorld. So yesterday I downloaded the 3.999 version of FSUIPC from Pete's site and installed it over the already existing one I was using before, backupped before, and even if I was afraid, it seems to have worked, at least my FSUIPC update. Also my old FSUIPC registration key seems to have been still accepted afterwards. Before installing FShotSFX I was doing some flights though to see if everything still was working normally with the newer FSUIPC, and so far everything seems fine. FSPassengers still worked normally before installing FShotSFX, too. I didn't have the time to test my other payware aircraft yet, to be sure. I hope so though.Now to the point: So I installed FShotSFX and ran it the first time, and it did the changes to my aircraft.cfgs as you told and it created backups. The atc_airline= entries still are untouched as I could see so far. Only the two lines at the very bottom of each file were added to every aircraft.cfg.I was pretty irritated though, as my FShotSFX looks very weird, and I can't close it manually as I can't click on any buttons at all (at least I don't see any), I can't get into any menus, maybe there aren't any? Everything is covered by a huge green layer saying FShotSFX and that is all. In my case, the only way to "close" the program is to select an airport out of the 40NM demo zone of Meigs, or choosing an airport in FS9 that is not in that radius, which is very annoying. And if my task manager hadn't vanished, I could maybe have closed the program that way.. So after a flight and having closed FS, I also have to restart FS9 which loads at least 5-7 minutes because I bloated it up so much, then load a new flight (which also takes at least 5 minutes) out of the Demo area, and wait for FShotSFX to close itself this way, then go out of FS9. With so many problems already, I surely won't buy FShotSFX.When I tested it the first time at KORD, I heard a mixture of my usual AI sounds and the new added ones, I also heart the AI aircraft spool up etc, 727s cargo planes thundering down the runway which was quite an experience. It has it's weaknesses though. The longer I was spotting (probably one and half an hour so far), the more the spool up sounds and also the other new sounds seemed to get more messed up, not playing at the correct time anymore, but a lot later or delayed, or sometimes the sound froze for quite a long time, or completely paused or vanished. It didn't seem to like me using the cooliehat too often neither. But maybe others had the same problem and not only me? Anyways, I don't think I will purchase it with all those weaknesses. I still thank you very much so far, Willy.I would have liked to tweak around with those sounds a bit, or replace or add some from AVSIM, as I am very much into realistic engine sounds per aircraft type and quite a realism fanatic. But up to now I don't know yet how to do so, if my FShotSFX even doesn't let me click on it at all, maybe I am missing out something then? And yeah, in most cases none of the AI aircraft sound like in reality, but play other and non-suiting sounds. Maybe my expectations were too high. Only from reading this entire thread, everything sounded terrific, also the tweak possibilities, but I think FShotFSX is somehow not working correctly for me, so any more effort could be useless anyways. So I guess I will uninstall it soon and restore my aircraft folder, which is even bigger than sotiris' one. That's gonna be fun. If anyboy has still suggestions or an idea what could wrong with my FShotSFX, I will maybe change my mind.I will now check if there is any further damage to my flightsim, by doing some flights, also with my loved FSPassengers. If it was affected somehow, I will freak out.I forgot to say: I think there were no reverser sounds at all in my case. But I heart noise all over, even if there wasn't any plane next to me, which was driving me a bit nuts after a while. If I could set those things up better, this would be paradise, but as I said, FShotSFX doesn't allow me to any clicks on it. There is only those huge green banner which never goes away and hides everything.

That program though made another unwanted change. All AI aircraft callsigns were altered (as seen through TrafficLookand FSAI Separation) to alpha-numeric ones, in a way that became impossible to identify.Please note that I don't RC4 or FSPassengers.
As far as I know, FSHotSFX does not touch FS9's ATC callsigns, but it does change the TCAS ID variable for FSUIPC from Flight to Type+ and that is probably where the alphanumeric callsigns are showing up. I noticed that too. You have to go into the FSUIPC settings and change the TCAS ID from Type+ to Flight and everything should be fine. It's a setting in FSUIPC that FSHotSFX changes, but it can be easily changed back. Edited by WallysWorld