Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Would you buy an XBOX 360 for FSXI?

Why? Titles developed for LIVE may be used off-line and solo now. Why do you think it would be any different with a Flight Sim title???
HiCuz I'm a old fart and my platform is setup currently for FS9 only.I'm not switching to another sim now, so getting back to the OP's question, Xbox No.RJ

Hypothetically thinking, here...With the suggestion that MS may have been considering leaning more toward "gaming", there's some thought that FSXI, should it ever see the light of day, may end up on 360.Hard drive capacity is easily enough; I don't have the technical knowledge to know whether the hardware can "keep up", butThe ifs:IF FSXI were released on XBOX 360 or the next iteration,IF all navaids and airports were included,IF a joystick/yoke/pedals became available,IF the graphics ran fluidly on an HD TV,Would you buy a setup?Personally, I have an XBOX now; however, I'd say that the experience of running FS fluidly on a widescreen TV seems pretty gripping to me, enough to have compelled me to purchase if I didn't have one.I happen to feel that the addition of a gaming element - if the rest of the sim remained largely intact - seems too good to pass up. I know there are lots of folks who are vehemently against this type of "toy".Your thoughts?
No - I'm not interested in console based games and have no intention of getting a console. If I feel the need to shoot something, I have Falcon 4.DJ

PS3 yes, XBOX no.Oh, and BTW, those who are staying away from consoles, you have no idea what you are missing!

Oh, and BTW, those who are staying away from consoles, you have no idea what you are missing!
I agree with that. Blazing-angels on the WII is fun. :( RJ

I dont really know what MS has in mind.Ive had the feeling for a while now that we would end up playing FS online. It really doesnt matter to me if they would want me to get an XBOX to play the next version.What matters to me is that its not a dumbed down 'game'.I used to enjoy the Need for Speed series. They started out with a good 'feel' to the game. Thats what physics and flight models are all about IMO. Things have to look right (eye candy) and they have to feel right (good physics). I stopped playing Need for Speed when it became clear to me that the arcade experience was they would provide.I am currently typing on a 1GigHz Athlon with an MX440 and 768Meg of DDR. I can load up Google Earth (have never tried MS Virtual Earth) and I can 'fly' with terrain and buildings being streamed to my system.Im not a computer guy but if thats possible with this cheap, old system, then Ill bet its possible to stream some really nice eye candy and let the PC/console handle the way the 'player' interacts with the eye candy (aka flight model/physics).I dont know what they have in mind but as long as its fun and does not get dumbed down then I dont care what the format is.It might actually be better.Yesterday, I took off from Alice Springs (FTX). It was 104 degrees Fahrenheit when I DLd my weather. I had the autopilot set to maintain a climb of 500feetperminute and I was surpried that my little Cessna seemed to be about to stall at around 5000 feet. Then I remembered how the temp and air pressure probably made it harder to gain lift.I dont care about the format. I care about it being fairly realistic and it deafinitely has to be fun.as long as flight sim continues.on the other hand: I dont want to be required to buy MS hardware to play an MS game. Maybe EVGA could build the consoles. It just never seems to work when one company tries to do it all.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

If it would doo all that you can do now and more, I definitely would. JimCYWG

Guest SkullxBones

If M$ takes FS from my PC and then expects me to buy their gamebox and FXII so they can make more $$$, I don't think they realize how much I will hate them.

I think there is a slight possibility Microsoft is considering a "Flying game" for x-box. I kind of got that gist while at my final days at ACES. I really don't know much though because us contractors where not allowed to hear any of the discussion going on - only Full Time Staff. And supposedly we are still under NDA, so even if I did know something I couldn't tell you. But what I do know is Microsoft didn't want to sell the studio, meaning they still want to own the rights to "Flight Simulator". Xbox is a lucrative platform with a lot more money involved - so I wouldn't doubt if they move to it. If they do bring it back it will probably be more game like, then simulator like. Anyways, that

While I never like to say "NEVER", I doubt I would buy the XBox version. I just invested in a new computer for FSX and plan to use it for several years, if not longer. right now, I am going to take a wait and see attitude on FSXI.I don't think an XBox version of FS would be attractive to most average FS users, because compared to a lot of XBox games, it would be boring after the first session. There is no blood, no gore, no guns, no sex and no swearing in FS to keep them hyped up. If those elements were added to FS, then I know for a fact I would not buy it. As a long time Flight Sim user, FPS to me does not mean "First Person Shooter", it means "Frames Per Second".I would love to use my HDTV for flight sim, but my wife might object.

When you have a computer "crash", you might be happy to have FSX11 on a separate piece of hardware. I've installed and re-installed FSX and all my addons several times. It's not a fun thing to do. Can XBox help us to avoid that situation? Just thinking out loud here.

"...because compared to a lot of XBox games, it would be boring after the first session. There is no blood, no gore, no guns, no sex and no swearing in FS to keep them hyped up."Haven't browsed the range of XBOX titles?There are plenty without blood, gore, guns, sex, swearing. Personally I don't equate those things with action. Racing, baseball, basketball, football come to mind immediately. But there are tons of games that involve plenty of thinking and far less "twitching" to get through. I recommend looking through a list of titles somewhere, maybe even family-friendly stuff.

Guest byoung
No. Doesn't matter why... I'm not about to offer Microsoft some form of 'goals' to meet to convince me to shell out hundreds of dollars on a console that I don't need just so I can play a game I never wanted to begin with.
When you say shell out $ for a game console?? Most PC Flight Simmers shell out way more than what a console costs when new bloatware versions of FS are released. I just feel that the flight simulator could be optimized for that hardware platform.I find it annoying having to tweak, and fly with different FPS performance. I would like to fly and not tweak. If Microsoft just optimized the next version to run at an average of 50 FPS, adding NO features, I would be happy!

Guest jshyluk

This is a good question.Of course, if I could I would spring for the works! Like the man said, fun is fun, so I am there. That, and it would be fun for reviews!This is, of course, purely hypothetical. There are a lot of reasons today this minute not to go for it: the current XBOX is not sophisticated enough, we'd need better peripherals, there's no add-ons, I have no money, and most importantly, the game stores are closed -- it's getting late tonight!But I don't think it's so great to say I'm not going to try something that I've never seen yet (or does not exist). I write reviews for AVSIM, so naturally I am biased towards anything that gets more flight sim bling into my house. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM