Sign in to follow this  
Guest Williamshum

PMDG 777!

If 2d panels get out of production I'm afraid that my simulation hobby will be over as well, nothing against those who like 3d(I do not like 3d, that's my opinion!) I bought the J41 to try it out, plane is wonderful but I don't see myself using it again due to the fact that I didn't feel comfortable with 3d, that was the first and the last purchase that I will ever makefor a product without 2d panels. Oh by the way, 2 kinds of customers (3d Folks) and (2d Folks), the 3d folks Congratulations you've got what you want, for the second class which includes me, seems to be a tendency that less and less planes will hit the market with no 2d ,so for us we either get used to 3d of halt simming, I'll take second option! Leo Soares
Halt Simming!?! Because of a lack of 2D panels. You're right - to each their own. It just seems like such a waste of an amazing waste of time. Luckily, Vin said that PMDG airliner models will continue to have 2D panels.Cheers

Guest Fassam

Reading this post from begining to end has given me a smile at the end of a fruitless week! When does the next one start!?!LOL........ :( RgdsLiam.

Post No 1. My money's on 'Troll' any takers?
Gavin, you took the words out of my mouth hehehehe

Dave Taylor gb.png

I am very happy to hear that future projects will continue to have 2d panels. I can understand to some degree why some people like the 3d view, it does give you a feeling of sitting in the pilots seat.I have tried the J41 and it looks nice BUT if I had the option to "crank" down the seat a bit I would be much happier. In real life we have the option to adjust the seat up and down depending on how you want your view. Adjusting the seat down would make the panel look bigger and would give a nice big representation of the instruments. I do not want to zoom inn and out to look at the instruments. I really don't care about the outside view when im in cruise, but I do care about seeing all the instruments clearly. Chris

... As of now, I don't have Track IR, but I do plan on getting it. For the time being, I hold down the space bar and move the mouse around to look around in the VC. I feel that some people have the wrong attitude and aren't WILLING to give the 3D a chance. ....Chad
What is so great about this forum is the information that you can pick up from others. I have particularly enjoyed the dialogue re 2D versus 3D simulation. I'm a RW pilot with 3,000+ hours in GA aircraft. I have been flying the PMDG 747 with FSX (on Vista ... arrgghhh!) for about 6 months, almost entirely in the 2D mode, and lovin' it! I'm very comfortable with the FMS and really enjoy flying the 747 with VATSIM ATC controllers (If you haven't tried VATSIM, you're missing a lot and are really in for a treat!)While I've had a lot of fun with it, I have sensed that I'm missing some of the fun and realism by operating in 2D. Unfortunately every time I try 3D I get frustrated. For example, you want to check or switch something on the PMDG 747 overhead panel or FMS in 3D: Often you have to move the view point to the right (ctrl + shift + enter), then use the joystick hat to look up or down, then use the mouse roller (or + key) to zoom in, then (finally) check and/or click the switch. Once that's done, you have to do the all the same stuff in reverse to get back to the original view. At least that's what I've been doing. Imagine doing that on final approach, flying by hand. I have known there must be easier ways to get around the 3D panel, but they were unknown to me (the FSX keystroke definitions are almost useless). Chad's mention of using the spacebar and then the mouse to look around the cabin is very helpful! Thanks, Chad! :( What about moving the view point left or right, is there a quick and easy way to do that as well? Any other tips on how to fly in the 3D environment would be greatly appreciated. It can't be as difficult as I'm making it! I'd love to see a thread or video on just that topic, flying FSX in the 3D mode.Finally, I took an online look at the Track IR device that Chad mentioned (http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/). Very cool. Has anyone tried it, and what do you think?Thanks,John Dixon

Has anyone tried it, and what do you think?
There are extremely long threads on this very subject on the main FSX forum.

What is so great about this forum is the information that you can pick up from others. I have particularly enjoyed the dialogue re 2D versus 3D simulation. I'm a RW pilot with 3,000+ hours in GA aircraft. I have been flying the PMDG 747 with FSX (on Vista ... arrgghhh!) for about 6 months, almost entirely in the 2D mode, and lovin' it! I'm very comfortable with the FMS and really enjoy flying the 747 with VATSIM ATC controllers (If you haven't tried VATSIM, you're missing a lot and are really in for a treat!)While I've had a lot of fun with it, I have sensed that I'm missing some of the fun and realism by operating in 2D. Unfortunately every time I try 3D I get frustrated. For example, you want to check or switch something on the PMDG 747 overhead panel or FMS in 3D: Often you have to move the view point to the right (ctrl + shift + enter), then use the joystick hat to look up or down, then use the mouse roller (or + key) to zoom in, then (finally) check and/or click the switch. Once that's done, you have to do the all the same stuff in reverse to get back to the original view. At least that's what I've been doing. Imagine doing that on final approach, flying by hand. I have known there must be easier ways to get around the 3D panel, but they were unknown to me (the FSX keystroke definitions are almost useless). Chad's mention of using the spacebar and then the mouse to look around the cabin is very helpful! Thanks, Chad! :( What about moving the view point left or right, is there a quick and easy way to do that as well? Any other tips on how to fly in the 3D environment would be greatly appreciated. It can't be as difficult as I'm making it! I'd love to see a thread or video on just that topic, flying FSX in the 3D mode.Finally, I took an online look at the Track IR device that Chad mentioned (http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/). Very cool. Has anyone tried it, and what do you think?Thanks,John Dixon
The VC quickly becomes second nature if your joystick has two hatswitches, such as the Saitek x52. Just assign Shift Viewpoint Left/ Right / Back / forwards to the second hatswitch, set the button to "Repeat", and assign Reset viewpoint to the "pinkie" button, and - in combination with the default hatswitch settings - you're all set to move around the VC as if you were sitting there. Nothing cumbersome about it: honest!Here's a screenshot for the relevant settings in FSX:Tim

Michael - Thanks for drawing my attention to the many posts re Track IR. Very helpful and informative. I was searching www.flightsimulationforums.com and couldn't find much of anything. But lots of good information right here on the Avsim Forums, as usual! I just wasn't looking in the right place.Tim - Thanks for your comments about using a joystick with two hatswitches, such as the Saitek X52. Are you using the X52 Flight Control System with separate joystick and throttle controllers? With this system, then you're saying you don't really need to go to the TrackIR system, and 3D operation become viable?I see Saitek also has a X52 Pro Flight Control System, which offers some additional interactive capability. Is that what you're using or just the X52 Flight Control System?Thanks,John

Guest fatloserp33

We deserately need a PMDG quality 777i'll go out of my limb and predict it'll outsell the md-11 and 747 COMBAINED as it's such a popular and sexy airlinerjust my 10 cents.

Thanks for deleting my previous post.Benjamin
@ Benjamin: LOL...looking at your last 5 posts, they are all complaints about some of your threads/replys being deleted. Perhaps doing something wrong? :( @fatloserp33: Maybe if you use correct spelling, your statement might be taken a little more seriously?

@ Benjamin: LOL...looking at your last 5 posts, they are all complaints about some of your threads/replys being deleted. Perhaps doing something wrong? :(
When you write a polite thread respecting the forum rule, but you see it being deleted just because it didn't pleased the mods of this forum, something is wrong. :( Benjamin

Mistakes happen. Maybe your topic was lost amount the 100s of "J41 Help" threads that have been popping up. Maybe a mod deleted it by accident. Seeing as how quickly topics can be bumped to the 5th, 6th, 7th pages, it quite possible have been overlooked. May I suggest emailing the PMDG support staff? They are excellent, and they did a great job of helping me out when I had problems with my 737NG.So what if your topic was deleted. This is a privately owned and operated forum, so the Mods have every right to delete topics and posts as they see fit. But, if they do it too much, they will starting losing customers, so it affects them in the long run.

I haven't followed up on your threads/replys so I don't know how valid your statement is. But if you were in my shoes, who would you believe? PMDG or the single user who is complaining his posts got deleted?Anyway, I don't even know why I posted in this thread. I try to avoid these threads as much as possible because I got better things to do; like flying the JS41 ;)