Sign in to follow this  
bojote

Bojote's Shader 3.0 mod for FSX

...The above will also eliminate the 'grids' some people are experiencing, but.. again, after more than 3 weeks using the 1.5 Shaders I'm more than pleased with the water I see.
I will definitely try this out as well. And by the way, I don't use REX2, so I can rule out that one. Thanks again, *******!

Alexander Alonso

******* - I am a little confused and need some clarification.Quick question about installing new drivers and the shader mod. After a fresh install of nVidia drivers I delete/rebuild my .cfg and although I have not touched the ShadersHLSL folder I would like to know if I can reuse the same SHADER_CACHE_VERSION number as it was in the old .cfg before it was deleted? Thanks,

\Robert Hamlich/

******* - I am a little confused and need some clarification.Quick question about installing new drivers and the shader mod. After a fresh install of nVidia drivers I delete/rebuild my .cfg and although I have not touched the ShadersHLSL folder I would like to know if I can reuse the same SHADER_CACHE_VERSION number as it was in the old .cfg before it was deleted? Thanks,
Just back up your shaders folder in Windows Explorer before you install Bojote's stuff. You'll will find it in your FSX folder. Copy it back to restore and increment the version number (you can't go back because the cache needs to recompile.). Luv Vancouver BTW!jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Nope, you cant use the 'exact' same number, because creating the fsx.cfg means that FSX was alteady started using 'another' SHADER_CACHE_VERSION number :) which is 0

Hello *******,first thanks for your outstanding work and investigation.I have played around with the shader mod (latest version) and it seems to give me a lot fluider flight experience with sharper textures and less stutters.The only real annoying thing is for me the shimmering of the horizon textures, mean ground textures wich are farer away (about 20nm)I'm no one who wants perfect eye candy, but these shimmering is very heavy...I have a Nvidia 8800 GTS 640 with latest drivers.No NHancer.Setting are "let application decide"AA and AF is on in FSX.the MIN_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21MAX_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21entry in the FSX.cfg does not help.Maybe you have an idea what to do?thanks very much!

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guest Zorg_DK
Hello *******,first thanks for your outstanding work and investigation.I have played around with the shader mod (latest version) and it seems to give me a lot fluider flight experience with sharper textures and less stutters.The only real annoying thing is for me the shimmering of the horizon textures, mean ground textures wich are farer away (about 20nm)I'm no one who wants perfect eye candy, but these shimmering is very heavy...I have a Nvidia 8800 GTS 640 with latest drivers.No NHancer.Setting are "let application decide"AA and AF is on in FSX.the MIN_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21MAX_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21entry in the FSX.cfg does not help.Maybe you have an idea what to do?thanks very much!
I think you need to find the "terrain.fxh" file in ShadersHLSL\Terrain and edit the line that says "-2" and put in "(State_MipMapLodBias);" instead.

I think you need to find the "terrain.fxh" file in ShadersHLSL\Terrain and edit the line that says "-2" and put in "(State_MipMapLodBias);" instead.
You guys are great :) thanks for helping others!and yes, Zorg is correct.. if you read previous posts you'll see how you can tweak the shaders any way you like.

In the post by ******* to fix the "shimmer" it is suggested to use the default setting:[the above are the 'properties' the sampler will use... if you want to stick to the defaults, you can replace the above with this:

MinFilter	 = (State_MinFilter);	MagFilter	 = (State_MagFilter);	MipFilter	 = (State_MipFilter);	MipMapLodBias = (State_MipMapLodBias);

However, the values for Water_BumpSampler in the original file are: MinFilter = D3DTEXF_LINEAR; MagFilter = D3DTEXF_LINEAR; MipFilter = D3DTEXF_LINEAR;Is this what you mean by default values or am I missing something?Thank you for your help.

Is this what you mean by default values or am I missing something?Thank you for your help.
Its ok. Either one will work. If you check common.fxh you'll notice this:
dword State_MinFilter				: STATE_MINFILTER				= D3DTEXF_LINEAR;dword State_MagFilter				: STATE_MAGFILTER				= D3DTEXF_LINEAR;dword State_MipFilter				: STATE_MIPFILTER				= D3DTEXF_LINEAR;

Meaning, that the default states defined in the common header file ARE in fact LINEAR filters.

MIN_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21MAX_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21
Does this entry affect just ground textures or also AI traffic textures for example? I'm thinking about performance impact if any (specially considering high amounts of AI traffic - UT2, MTX)?

@ zork and *******,I have replaced the numbers in water and terrain with (State_MipMapLodBias) what did the trick.no shimmering now.thank you guys!

Guenter Steiner

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester

Nope, you cant use the 'exact' same number, because creating the fsx.cfg means that FSX was alteady started using 'another' SHADER_CACHE_VERSION number :) which is 0
Just back up your shaders folder in Windows Explorer before you install Bojote's stuff. You'll will find it in your FSX folder. Copy it back to restore and increment the version number (you can't go back because the cache needs to recompile.). Luv Vancouver BTW!jja
Ok fair enough, I understand that may not taken into account, nor was it particularly necessary when you wrote the readme for the latest release of the shader mod due to a reissue of another version, that number being 0.IMO other users, like myself "rebuild" their .cfg for various reasons and it is good the shader mod is not affected when doing so, I appreciate the clarification. I had thought of doing what jja added in the thread as well, thanks for the suggestion, just waiting for summer to begin.Thanks for you help. Edited by maxam66

\Robert Hamlich/

Are there any similar tweaks I can use the code below in order to reduce autogen shimmering? I have added modified my terrain.fxh and water20.fhx with considerable improvements to my system running an ATI gfx card. Could I try something else for autogen?Another thing I notice are annoying reflections from buildings at the edge of the water. Also mountain outlines reflect in the water - these don't look pretty with smooth edges - very square and bouncy!ThanksCode I used:MipMapLodBias = (State_MipMapLodBias);

Another thing I notice are annoying reflections from buildings at the edge of the water. Also mountain outlines reflect in the water - these don't look pretty with smooth edges - very square and bouncy!
That sounds like a corrupted shader to me... double check, triple check the changes you did.. you could have messed up something, Shader 3.0 will NOT add the 'effects' you describe!

Are there any similar tweaks I can use the code below in order to reduce autogen shimmering? I have added modified my terrain.fxh and water20.fhx with considerable improvements to my system running an ATI gfx card. Could I try something else for autogen?Another thing I notice are annoying reflections from buildings at the edge of the water. Also mountain outlines reflect in the water - these don't look pretty with smooth edges - very square and bouncy!ThanksCode I used:MipMapLodBias = (State_MipMapLodBias);
I get the same thing but I figured the bouncy shore texture was due to cloud reflections. Does look a bit weird.jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png