Sign in to follow this  
windycloud

"I bought iFly 737 for FS9" thread

I bought the iFly NG, and am impressed so far. I also believe that although FS9 is a mature product, it isn't a dead one yet. Let's hope the iFly release proves me right.

John G.

I personally think that is a big assumption but that is just me... Not many net new users are installing FS9 at all IMHO. A lot of existing users have un-installed it completely and a "few" are trickling back in favor of the high FPS.But again, I don't think that is the majority... I can't understand why some continue to think that the majority of developers coming to the same conclusion is "bull" based on numbers out of thin air that obviously don't mesh with the real #'s the dev's are seeing. I don't get the conspiracy theory... I also don't consider them "sorry excuse developers" because they moved away from a 7 year old sim. And again, I am an FS9 guy!!!I actually see it as inevitable, not excuses, conspiracy theories or bull. And I disagree with your "huge profits" statement. Quite honestly all these guys are in business for a reason, to make money. Realistically thinking they would all give up "huge profits" is mind blowing IMHO. Why would any company pass up huge profits?Edit:PS, that repaint is unreal and I think the color pallet in FS9 is much better looking... Personally I always felt the FSX colors were too cartoonish but again, just my opinion! Now I just need my CO repaints :)EDIT: PSS. Nothing personal at all with anyone, just differing opinions but all with the utmost respect!
For the record I'd just like to know the sales numbers to put all this to rest. A good product that people are asking for will sell across the board plain and simple. Another thing is no one developing for FS is making 'huge profits' (Where did I say that? :( ), it's more of a labor of love with some extra cash thrown in for the time put in. I wish our payware developers were paid what their really worth (bringing multi-million dollar systems to our systems for $60 or less) but then again non of us could afford it. We are all hobbyist at heart it would seem on both sides of the fence.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

For the record I'd just like to know the sales numbers to put all this to rest. A good product that people are asking for will sell across the board plain and simple. Another thing is no one developing for FS is making 'huge profits' (Where did I say that? :( ), it's more of a labor of love with some extra cash thrown in for the time put in. I wish our payware developers were paid what their really worth (bringing multi-million dollar systems to our systems for $60 or less) but then again non of us could afford it. We are all hobbyist at heart it would seem on both sides of the fence.
Sorry, I turned your words around there, you said profit greatly and I said huge profits.Apologies.And to your point, PMDG for example is a business, not a labor of love for some extra cash. They need to be able to pay entire development teams and if the man hours required to produce an FS9 version outweigh the return in sales then it is a no-brainer as RSR will end up having to pay those man hours out of the FSX sales there-by depleting the ROI on those as well... Personally I would love to see the #'s as well because I don't think all these different developers came to the same conclusion without significant due diligence where-as I think you are looking at it from a much too emotional level.Cheers!-P

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I too, am a defender of the cause. Purchased mine last night.

Glenn Wilkinson

dk1xTfc.jpg                                      28.jpg

Me too. Haven't had a chance to do a full flight yet.

NAX669.png

I think you are looking at it from a much too emotional level.Cheers!-P
No not really, there's too many other things in life to get stressed about. This just makes good conversaton. Anyway I'm going to go on a larger tangent here based on what you said. If the add-on market is as small as some make it out to be compared to total sales of Flight Simulator around the world, I can't see how any development house is as large as you make them out to be. I've worked with a few of them personally and it's a bunch of guys from different locations around the world contributing to the same project. There's not this huge gush of revenue for these add-ons no matter what it is. Now if all the purchasers of Flight Simulator buy add-ons then you've got something (which I think we do as I've watched Aces when FSX was released push Avsim and other FS related sites). This is where this get's fuzzy... On one hand PMDG is this big company yet on the other hand Microsoft gears the franchise to gamers because they buy FS and nothing else (the majority of customers don't buy add-ons or so they say). We in this community who buy add-ons are a tiny fraction of the purchasers of FS sales 'BUT' profit in FS addons are sizable to create these businesses around it that are businesses in every since of the word to where business men are running them not hobbyist (the logic in not staying with on sim over the other for purely profit reasons). We can't have it both ways. Hobbyist will from little businesses for the love of what they do where as businessmen will get involved if there's serious money to be made across the board. Either the FS Community is more vibrant than admitted (depending on the conversation) or people are doing this for the love of it and not making that much money from it hence it's a false need to migrate to one sim over the other because your not getting that much profit anyway (it's just money on the side). To say this clearer developing for FS9, FSX, X-Plane or whatever is a none issue as this is such a small irrelevant community in the huge scope of actual MSFS purchasers. If that's not the case Microsoft needs to give up the 'crack' and start taking Flight Simulator seriously and add-on developers have a better leg to stand on concerning their pro FSX decisions. After working with a few developers I feel this community has more influence than people give it credit for. You can't make the business argument if it was otherwise. The reason why FS11 is back on the table is because Microsoft see's profit in it and the businesses around FS9/FSX continue to thrive even with a so called discontinued franchise. Microsoft was never one to back down from an opportunity to make profit hence their continuing of the franchise. This community's presence did that period but Microsoft still feel's they should use FS to corner the gaming market versus the aviation market. I believe if what you say is true about PMDG more people are buying add-ons than Microsoft or anyone would lead you to believe hence leaning to the market/platform that's giving them the biggest bang for their collective buck. I also believe many new purchasers of FSX over the last three years 'did' buy add-ons (who stuck around after the first few times the computer froze). There's too many people I know that buy add-ons but don't cruise the forums the way many of us do. Like you said look at the overhead PMDG has to cover out of the sales they get (although we don't know what the overhead actually is). Again I'd love to see the sales numbers of the iFly 737 as it would put allot of this to rest when it comes to FS9's viability on the market these days. I know FSX's market is vibrant but one can still make money on the FS9 side with the right product (what people are asking for). This was a little all over the place I guess but some comments here just got me thinking.

FS2020 

Guest wahoo238

I purchased the iFly 737 last night and am impressed with it as well. I'm still using FS9 as my sim of choice and no longer have FSX installed. Hopefully if this release is well supported other developers will take notice.

Guilty as charged. And it's worse.... after just one flight I went and started painting... I must be... eh... *mumbles under his breath* :rolleyes:Paintkit is... interesting... takes a sharp eye to spot a few, ehm, boundaries. But well done, well done... Anyway, coming soon to AvsimRegards,Jure

You guys want numbers...here you go. Monthly statistics from my VA Hours Legs FSX FS9 FS8 FS7 Other July 2010 23,221.5 8,095 3,386 (41.8%) 4,693 (58.0%) 2 (0.0%) 0 (0.0%) 14 (0.2%) June 2010 20,891.0 7,560 3,098 (41.0%) 4,432 (58.6%) 6 (0.1%) 1 (0.0%) 23 (0.3%) May 2010 21,193.6 7,533 3,159 (41.9%) 4,342 (57.6%) 13 (0.2%) 0 (0.0%) 19 (0.3%) April 2010 19,967.6 7,472 3,207 (42.9%) 4,225 (56.5%) 25 (0.3%) 0 (0.0%) 15 (0.2%) March 2010 20,563.5 7,527 3,233 (43.0%) 4,252 (56.5%) 34 (0.5%) 0 (0.0%) 8 (0.1%) February 2010 19,593.1 7,442 3,056 (41.1%) 4,345 (58.4%) 36 (0.5%) 0 (0.0%) 5 (0.1%) January 2010 22,800.5 8,445 3,488 (41.3%) 4,950 (58.6%) 4 (0.0%) 0 (0.0%) 3 (0.0%) December 2009 22,035.0 8,317 3,307 (39.8%) 4,967 (59.7%) 38 (0.5%) 0 (0.0%) 5 (0.1%) November 2009 19,425.9 7,382 2,927 (39.7%) 4,393 (59.5%) 56 (0.8%) 0 (0.0%) 6 (0.1%) October 2009 19,114.6 7,361 2,604 (35.4%) 4,682 (63.6%) 70 (1.0%) 0 (0.0%) 5 (0.1%) September 2009 17,044.0 6,521 2,199 (33.7%) 4,300 (65.9%) 5 (0.1%) 1 (0.0%) 16 (0.2%) August 2009 21,671.9 7,899 2,795 (35.4%) 5,068 (64.2%) 23 (0.3%) 0 (0.0%) 13 (0.2%) Numbers speak louder than words..

A better indicator of FS9 use would perhaps not be another 737. I personally have enough 737s already, I am happy with those i have. This would just be a waste of money. Why buy ANOTHER 737!?If a more "original" aircraft was released, then we might see how popular FS9 still is.Cheers,Dave

Well my IFly 737 is going back to Flight1. I just don't need it.... I only bought it for the model as I am more than happy with my pimped up Pimgee panel. :( But you know how it is these days models locked to panels etc etc. :( My money is better spent on the excellent new FS9 sceneries that have just been released! :(

A better indicator of FS9 use would perhaps not be another 737. I personally have enough 737s already, I am happy with those i have. This would just be a waste of money. Why buy ANOTHER 737!?If a more "original" aircraft was released, then we might see how popular FS9 still is.Cheers,Dave
You know I'll give Ed a little credit for trying it but you haven't even taken a look. This is why I wish this product didn't need a single patch upon release but alas this is a new team. I have 737's too but this was needed and requested. What I have is a NG in all intents and purposes needs an upgrade. It's cockpit has the wrong dimensions/no external wing flex, the other offering hasn't gotten reinstalled because Ariane wants to charge a fee plus it's gauges update rate is in the stone age, and other offerings with terrible or no VC's. This thing is a complete effort that's still has more to offer when it's patched. Nothing compares to what iFly has done for FS9 so in essence unless your a 2D guy like ED you don't have a comparable model.
Well my IFly 737 is going back to Flight1. I just don't need it.... I only bought it for the model as I am more than happy with my pimped up Pimgee panel. :( But you know how it is these days models locked to panels etc etc. :( My money is better spent on the excellent new FS9 sceneries that have just been released! :(
This is really sad news considering we are approaching the line where this kind of stuff won't be available anymore for FS9 (new products that is). When people stop supporting FS9 we can't complain when developers pull away. Post like this confirm what developers are saying (we don't by add-ons anymore). How can you expect Caranado (who reads this stuff by the way) to make the FS33A or the Caravan for FS9 when they read and see stuff like this? This effort is outstanding and I can't understand anyone not supporting it. I know your a 2D panel guy but at least give this a chance before you throw in the towel on it...

FS2020 

This is really sad news considering we are approaching the line where this kind of stuff won't be available anymore for FS9 (new products that is). When people stop supporting FS9 we can't complain when developers pull away. Post like this confirm what developers are saying (we don't by add-ons anymore). How can you expect Caranado (who reads this stuff by the way) to make the FS33A for FS9 or the Caravan when they read and see stuff like this? This effort is outstanding and I can't understand anyone not supporting it. I know your a 2D panel guy but at least give this a chance before you throw in the towel on it...
Let me be clear. I say the IFly 737 is a great product with great potential and I would recommend it to all FSniners.I gave it a chance and would have kept it if I could have used the model but I cannot. I also prefer my pimped PMDG panel.I am pretty sure I will be the only one returning the IFly 737. I have already stated I would buy the F33 and Caravan without question but I cannot......oh well.If any developers do not wish to develop for FS9 it is their choice. I have never been more happy with my sim. :(