Sign in to follow this  
Tim_Capps

Captain Sim 707 1.1 out and WOW

I have always been a Captain Sim fan, and I my trio of FS9 CS planes, the 707, F-104, and C-130, were far and away my favorites.But even "on sale" the new 707 is $70 Cdn. That's not pocket change.Can anyone say what kind of an FPS killer the new 707 is?
If the pattern holds, around Christmas, CS will probably hold another $9.99 1 day sale, then you can get it at that price. That's only about 1-2 months away, if you can wait. They had the sale at least the last 2 years and this year they had one in July. There is no guarantee though they will do it again of course, but IMHO I think they will!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Lest anyone be misled by the previous post, Captain Sim has stated explicitly in their forum that the 707 - having only been recently released - will not be part of any possible December sale. So if you can take them at their word, which I have no reason to doubt, and if you really want this plane, then don't wait. You're only depriving yourself of one of the truly great experiences in FSX. Robert

Will the FS9 repaints still work on this FSX model? I'm assuming they will based on my experience with their 727, but maybe someone can confirm. Thanks.John

If the pattern holds, around Christmas, CS will probably hold another $9.99 1 day sale, then you can get it at that price. That's only about 1-2 months away, if you can wait. They had the sale at least the last 2 years and this year they had one in July. There is no guarantee though they will do it again of course, but IMHO I think they will!!
Truth be told, I don't have $70 for an add-on right now, but if the C-130 is $9.99 at Christmas... Sold!

It's too bad Captain Sim's sound quality isn't worthy of a $70 price-tag, otherwise I might consider this. I think it's lame that their cockpits are perfectly silent until you start an engine.... or move the flaps, because apparently the pilots can hear the flaps all the way up in the cockpit. Then there's the default GPWS going off when you're on final, or the APU sound playing in the exterior when the plane is cold and dark. Oh and I almost forgot about the lack of callouts. I've heard people saying their 757 and 767 are the best things ever made in the entire world and that turned out not to be true. So I remain skeptical of Captain Sim's sudden turn around in quality.

Yes, if you were not an early purchaser that helped ferret out the bugs and contributed to initial positive buzz you may buy the airplane on sale now.

I see they "ported over" their non functional pressurization system from the 757/67.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Guest 413X3

Captain Sim has a lot of fans, but I have always been disappointed by lacking major things, including what has been said before, quiet cockpit, lots of various bugs here and there, especially with the advanced systems of a 757. I like their 727 but still a few small bugs and no attention paid to it anymore by them.

I think it's lame that their cockpits are perfectly silent until you start an engine.... or move the flaps, because apparently the pilots can hear the flaps all the way up in the cockpit. Then there's the default GPWS going off when you're on final, or the APU sound playing in the exterior when the plane is cold and dark.
In the 1.2 there is nice background equipment sound in the cockpit. No problems with GPWS or APU sounds. There is no APU on that 707 model actually.

I'm sorry, Tim, which fire are you talking about?INS activation is easy on the CS, the've included another panel.cfg file that will enable all necessary gauges then. Check the thread in the forums for details, seems like this is a common question. The current VC integration is a dummy one, activate it on the 2D popups only.http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1285100008I also did some small rework to have a double unit popup there with the update flags and stuff. As you are a Concorde X owner too, this setup should be more familiar to you then going just "single" on this plane.Looks like this allpanels.th.jpgIt's on page one of that thread. Enjoy.
Hey CoolP,I tried you're edit, and it's great! I wondered if you could make it so the AP, the two INS units, and the IRS parts all popup together in one popup?

Thanks. Glad you like it. Please make sure that you use the 1.2 values now as one window changed there. I've marked them in the post.I'm no programmer or something so this huge popup you are demanding would need some trials and the effect would be a fully covered screen while maybe just needing the AP popup only.If you like, post your wish over at the CS forums in the Civa thread and I'll see what I can do. There are some other guys that might have tweaked that simple installation, maybe they are already running the thing you want and can help too.For the guys wondering: Captain Sim delivers a Civa INS integration out of the box and the only thing I've changed is the arrangement and the amount of the Civa units because the standard has just one of it and lacks of some (in my eyes) handy buttons here and there.See full details in the mentioned thread if you like.

Thanks. Glad you like it. Please make sure that you use the 1.2 values now as one window changed there. I've marked them in the post.I'm no programmer or something so this huge popup you are demanding would need some trials and the effect would be a fully covered screen while maybe just needing the AP popup only.If you like, post your wish over at the CS forums in the Civa thread and I'll see what I can do. There are some other guys that might have tweaked that simple installation, maybe they are already running the thing you want and can help too.For the guys wondering: Captain Sim delivers a Civa INS integration out of the box and the only thing I've changed is the arrangement and the amount of the Civa units because the standard has just one of it and lacks of some (in my eyes) handy buttons here and there.See full details in the mentioned thread if you like.
Hey CoolP,Thanks for the response! It is very helpful using your edits. I just did this last night, and copied all of your code then, so I'm assuming that's the most current. I was just hoping as your screen shot shows, that you could make an 8th window, and put everything in one! Or, add the AP popup button next to the other two pop ups you have provided, to allow quick switching! I'll try to post over there in a little bit.As for the plane, how are you finding it to fly?! For me, the trim is SO unrealistic, and one touch of the button on my Logitech 3d pro. sends the plane 3˚ pitch or more in that direction. Almost unusable!Thanks again!

Hey CoolP,Thanks for the response! It is very helpful using your edits. I just did this last night, and copied all of your code then, so I'm assuming that's the most current. I was just hoping as your screen shot shows, that you could make an 8th window, and put everything in one! Or, add the AP popup button next to the other two pop ups you have provided, to allow quick switching! I'll try to post over there in a little bit.As for the plane, how are you finding it to fly?! For me, the trim is SO unrealistic, and one touch of the button on my Logitech 3d pro. sends the plane 3˚ pitch or more in that direction. Almost unusable!Thanks again!
I agree on the trim part, I really wish Captain Sim would figure out how to correctly calibrate the trim on their aircraft, and some first officer/altitude callouts would be nice.

Just completed a flight from KLAS to KDFW in an American 707 and I have to say it was quite an awesome experience. I navigated with the CIVA INS units including DME updating twice during the flight, and I used an FSBuild flight plan so I was able to fly the SID and STAR procedures. I utilized the expanded flows/checklists and I have to say I was a very busy throughout the flight managing the various systems. Some small details remain to be fixed, like the cabin pressure control, but I have to say overall this is a wonderful product. Now if Captain Sim fixes the remaining issues, and if I got my wish of having first officer callouts, I would be a happy man.