Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

Flight Manuals Released! 05DEC10

To PMDG staff:I'm sure the manuals provide real added value to the product, that is why I would like to purchase them. However, I find the price for it too high. I'm not saying the price is not correct but I don't want to pay for the colour printing, binders and transport costs to Belgium.So I think an electronic version of this product would make the manuals accessable to a lot of people without decreasing the net margin for PMDG. ...... Is there a possibility that PMDG will sell the manuals in electronic format in the future? That is if Boeing gives their fiat for electronic distribution...
Might be tricky. PDF security is extremely easy to "crack" and that means that they could easily be printed, copied, modified, and distributed by anyone who is on the other side of the norm. Boeing knows this of course and therefore I would say that the set of manuals "as printed" will not be electronically available. I do not know, I might be wrong, I am not in the know, it just seems reasonable.I received my Chief Pilot manual set this morning. Top notch, extremely satisfying, beyond my expectation regarding the thoroughness and professional look and feel. Love the little "Light and Switches" handbook which gives you kind of a bird's eye view/perspective, its a great place to start.Again, to PMDG, thanks for giving us non-aviation people a rare view into the real world of aviation. Have a safe and wonderful holiday season everyone!!

Sir Randazzo said that the Flight Crew Training manual & the Flight Crew Operating Manuals will be added to the NGX when released. They were unsure about the QRH but I think it would be fair to let that one out for those who have bought the printed manuals, and we should be happy with those 3 already in... They are probably not going to be electronically available outside the NGX but I am unsure if that also counts if they are can make it available for purchase.

Might be tricky. PDF security is extremely easy to "crack" and that means that they could easily be printed, copied, modified, and distributed by anyone who is on the other side of the norm. Boeing knows this of course and therefore I would say that the set of manuals "as printed" will not be electronically available. I do not know, I might be wrong, I am not in the know, it just seems reasonable.I received my Chief Pilot manual set this morning. Top notch, extremely satisfying, beyond my expectation regarding the thoroughness and professional look and feel. Love the little "Light and Switches" handbook which gives you kind of a bird's eye view/perspective, its a great place to start.Again, to PMDG, thanks for giving us non-aviation people a rare view into the real world of aviation. Have a safe and wonderful holiday season everyone!!
Thanks for your input sir, but my question was explicitly to PMDG staff. Give them time to answer the question instead of posting what we or you think or may assume...Best Regards,Bert Van Bulck

PMDG Staff, thank you for procuring the licensing for these manuals. I just got my FCTM and the quality is superb. It is informative (as the real thing should be) and I will study this thoroughly until the product is released. You guys ROCK.

Just FYI (this is posted in the FAQ thread too)We were just informed tonight that the printer has run out of binders - we've literally run them out of their warehouse's entire stock. In the words of our contact there, "We are now a PMDG sweatshop." Seriously though, the demand for these has been more than we expected - we really thought only a few hardcore simmers would buy the full sets, but a ton of people have sprung for Captain's or Chief Pilot's sets. We're extremely grateful for all the orders and we're doing our best to make sure they all get to you as fast as they can. The printer/shipper estimates that the backlog will be cleared by Wednesday this week.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

EDIT part 2:

Is there a possibility that PMDG will sell the manuals in electronic format in the future? That is if Boeing gives their fiat for electronic distribution...
I just realized you asked a similar question a few pages ago, and responded to the post where Robert said they'd be avaliable with the NGX. But just to repeat.
I can confirm for anyone concerned, that the Flight Crew Operating Manuals Vol 1 & Vol 2, plus the Flight Crew Training Manual will be included with the product in PDF format. We are still working out details on the QRH availability. I think it is likely that the only change you all will see is that we do not make these documents available as a free download from our website. This is being dictated by the people who own the manuals- and as such we shall comply- even if it isn't our first choice.
Lack of sleep is never a good thing for me. :(

Having not got off on the right foot with you guys I pains me to have to ask the following :Is there comprehensive coverage of the HGS in the PMDG manuals. I have an old HGS manual that runs to about 150 pages and I don't want to duplicate if I can avoid it. The manual cover looks like this :Anthony

Having not got off on the right foot with you guys I pains me to have to ask the following :Is there comprehensive coverage of the HGS in the PMDG manuals. I have an old HGS manual that runs to about 150 pages and I don't want to duplicate if I can avoid it. The manual cover looks like this :Anthony
Yes, the HGS is fully covered in the FCOM Vol 2 Flight Instruments sections 10.12, 10.17, 10.22, and 10.42.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

EDIT part 2:I just realized you asked a similar question a few pages ago, and responded to the post where Robert said they'd be avaliable with the NGX. But just to repeat.Lack of sleep is never a good thing for me. :(
I'm not talking about free downloads. I'm asking about purchasing the documents in electronic format, which are not already included in the product!Best Regards,Bert Van Bulck

the documents in electronic format, which are not already included in the product!
You assume too much too soon. There is no indications as of now there will even be such documents not included with the product. Perhaps you should simply wait and answers to such questions will become obvious in due time.

You assume too much too soon. There is no indications as of now there will even be such documents not included with the product. Perhaps you should simply wait and answers to such questions will become obvious in due time.
The answer to that was already clear unless for the QRH, so my question still stands.Myabe let PMDG-people answer the question this time?Best Regards,Bert Van Bulck

There are no plans to offer electronic purchase of the manuals - Boeing does not wish to allow this.Also:Orders are all caught up and subsequent orders should be shipped same day as long as they're placed before 3PM US Central time

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

Thomas-All costs in this endeavor, from the coffee that was purchased the morning of the photoshoot, to the licensing fees paid to Boeing, to the salary and commissions of PMDG employees and contractors factor into the final price. To say that it doesn't just wouldn't be honest...As for whether the cost of this licensing will raise the price of the NGX: It is amortized over many users and is significantly smaller than many other costs. I don't even think you could feed a parking meter for 15 minutes with what this will cost per unit...I hope folks won't worry too much about pricing on the NGX. It will be reasonably in line with existing market forces.(Translation: We haven't set the price yet- but we know roughly where it will be- and you won't be disturbed by it...)Brett-It depends upon your goals. If you want to learn about the 737 and all of it's systems, then purchase the Flight Crew Operating Manual (FCOM).If you would like to learn how the airplane should be flown, then purchase the Flight Crew Training Manual. (FCTM)Hope that helps you make a decision!
Hi Robert and Ryan,I am quite excited about this plane as many people are and the real-life manuals are fascinating to be sure. But I wanted to get at least an idea of what the content will be of the manuals included in the NGX as PDFs. I think from what I've read from you and Ryan in this thread, these will be shorter less detailed versions of the manuals being sold now (developed by Boeing), is this right? Do we just pay for the NGX and have these manuals included as downloads or will be purchase these PDF (or "non-authentic") version separately?Thanks again for this astounding project that you have undertaken PMDG! It is the closest Flight Simulator has ever gotten to providing "real-world" training using a PC simulator! Can Agbaba (John)

Guest RomanS

What's the big difference between the B&W and Color QRH? Can we have pics?After all, it's 2x the price...

Hi Robert and Ryan,I am quite excited about this plane as many people are and the real-life manuals are fascinating to be sure. But I wanted to get at least an idea of what the content will be of the manuals included in the NGX as PDFs. I think from what I've read from you and Ryan in this thread, these will be shorter less detailed versions of the manuals being sold now (developed by Boeing), is this right? Do we just pay for the NGX and have these manuals included as downloads or will be purchase these PDF (or "non-authentic") version separately?Thanks again for this astounding project that you have undertaken PMDG! It is the closest Flight Simulator has ever gotten to providing "real-world" training using a PC simulator! Can Agbaba (John)
That is not what was said. The FCOM and FCTM are already confirmed and we're still trying to work out some legal stuff with including the QRH. These are not stripped down versions, they're PDFs of what are in the actual manuals.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg