Flight Yoke Comparison  

232 members have voted

1. 1. Vote on the best yoke if you will

• Saitek Pro Flight Yoke
    • CH Flight Yoke
    • CH Eclipse Yoke

I've been using CH Products since the beginning and love them.

When I started having problems after a few years with the CH Flightsim yoke, I looked at the Eclipse but decided I didn't like the layout and bought another Flightsim yoke. There had been a few changes made. For example, I had to use silicone lubricant on the shaft on the old yoke to keep it from binding. I forgot to apply it to the new yoke, and by the time I remembered I'd been flying without problems for a couple of weeks. So the binding is fixed with no lube needed.

One thing that was not fixed was the reason I got a new yoke in the first place. The pitch axis started having real problems. Occasionally it wouldn't center and would drift. I took the old yoke apart and found out why. The pots used solderless connections and these weren't very good. When the new yoke started having the same problems, I started dropping it the last half inch onto the desk and have had no problems since. Who says percussive maintenance doesn't work?

The last thing I want to do when I buy a new product is immediately void the warranty by opening it up to fix something, which seems to be normal with the Saitek yokes. At least I didn't have to do it to fix the intermittent solderless connections. The CH yoke doesn't have detents, and while this took some getting used to at first, now I prefer it that way. I have no problems finding the center spot for the pitch.

I personally like the way the yoke feels in my hand. I like the way the control movement feels. And when I'm on short final, it wouldn't matter if the yoke was solid gold with platinum inlays, I'd never notice the difference; I'm way too busy. The control feel is transparent at that point too. For me, it's good enough.

Replacing the pots with hall effect devices would be a plus, if it could be done, and I may look into that at some point... after the warranty has run out. :)

Oh. And I really like the CH Control Manager software.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Hook,

Does the CH Control Manager software allow you to program keypresses to the CH Yoke's buttons and hats? Also, how big is the memory footprint of the software? Do you need to load it at windows startup (The Saitek Profiler stuff and MFD Stuff always wants to install to load at startup and I always need to end up disabling it through the Windows Config panel) or can you set it up so that you can just run it when you need it?

I've never used the CH Control Manager before but I'm thinking of ditching the Saitek yoke and going back to my CH...but it would be nice to program my TrackIR controls and a few other things to it. Even for FSX related keypresses, I don't like setting them up through FSX...I prefer to use a control profile.

it would be nice to program my TrackIR controls and a few other things to it. Even for FSX related keypresses, I don't like setting them up through FSX...I prefer to use a control profile.

First of all, I've got TrackIR set to toggle pause on one button and center on another. TrackIR recognizes button presses and does not require keystrokes.

Unless FSX *requires* a keystroke, it's probably better to set FSX up to use button presses rather than try to assign keystrokes in Control Manager. In the odd case where you might want to send a keystroke instead, be aware that it's probably not going through the keyboard handler, so key repeats might not be what you expect. There is a mode to allow you to send keystrokes, but I haven't tried it myself.

Edit: No idea on the footprint, but the Control Manager doesn't need to be running for the profile changes you make to take effect. I load the CM when I first start, load a profile, download it into the controls (or whatever it's actually doing there) and close the Control Manager.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Thanks Hook.

Yup...I'm aware TrackIR doesn't require keystrokes and you can map it direct to controller buttons. However, for my own setup and use, I need to use keystrokes.

I prefer to map nothing but the axis in FSX and leave everything else at default key assignments, then map keys to buttons in my controller software. I use several different controllers, and several different controller profiles, so that just works out best for me.

I was just curious about the CH Products software as I'd never installed or used it and was wondering if it would do what I need it to.

I've used the CH software for my CH yoke for several years and it will do everything you want when it comes to map keyboard assignments and it's very easy to bind these to the buttons on the yoke. You can also have several different profiles which you will be able to switch between. What is important is that your CH yoke is in what is called 'Mapped mode'. Either you can set it in mapped mode manually from the CH software or you can use a small utility called CMStart and that will only do one thing...force the yoke into mapped mode. What I did was to place this utility in the Startup group under the Start menu in Windows to have it executed automatically whenever I started Windows. This utility will not stay running and consume any memory or CPU but will only execute once to put the yoke in mapped mode and it will then quit.

So...in short...yes you will be able to do all you asked for using the CH software and I think you will like how easy it is to make these assignments and once setup and after placing this CMStart utility in the Startup group you can enjoy your profile without any extra software running in the background. Yes...one more thing...after you're done with a profile you want to use you need to 'download' it to the yoke. What this in fact does is to simply tell the yoke what your profile looks like so the yoke knows what each button should do when you press it. This is a single time thing you do for a new or modified profile, once downloaded to the yoke which takes only a couple of seconds the yoke will keep this profile 'in memory' until you download a new or modified profile.

I have lots of experience with the CH software although I'm currently trying out a Saitek yoke which I've programmed using FSUIPC so if you have any other questions regarding the CH software just let me know and I'll try to help you :smile:

Richard Åsberg

The CH yoke was the first one I bought along with the pedals. It's basic but have always worked well despite the inner spring sounds.

I was attracted by the bells and whistles of the Saitek yoke and bought it only to regret it. The aileron control is OK, but the elevator is awful. I went online to see if I was the only one and found a blog on how to improve it's behaviour. I opened the yoke box and then realized how poor the construction was. The elevator movement is made possible by a plastic ring sliding on the on a metal shaft; the movements are abrupt and sudden - no precision whatsoever. My attempts to improve it miserably failed and I threw the whole thing out and got back to my reliable CH product.

Saitek came out with a Cessna model which looks great. I am surrounded by Cessnas all day at work and must say I was tempted... but I did not forget my frustration with that yoke. Too bad, the yoke set with the panels (I own the multi-switch panel) makes a great looking cockpit.

Definitively CH Products and I will never go back to Saitek.

The CH yoke was the first one I bought along with the pedals. It's basic but have always worked well despite the inner spring sounds.

I was attracted by the bells and whistles of the Saitek yoke and bought it only to regret it. The aileron control is OK, but the elevator is awful. I went online to see if I was the only one and found a blog on how to improve it's behaviour. I opened the yoke box and then realized how poor the construction was. The elevator movement is made possible by a plastic ring sliding on the on a metal shaft; the movements are abrupt and sudden - no precision whatsoever. My attempts to improve it miserably failed and I threw the whole thing out and got back to my reliable CH product.

Saitek came out with a Cessna model which looks great. I am surrounded by Cessnas all day at work and must say I was tempted... but I did not forget my frustration with that yoke. Too bad, the yoke set with the panels (I own the multi-switch panel) makes a great looking cockpit.

Definitively CH Products and I will never go back to Saitek.

I agree... I went through 2 Saitek yokes and no matter how much I tried to make it better, the elevator movement was just horrible.

I have opted to build my own yoke. Already purchased a real C150 yoke with it's 3/4" shaft. Still gathering other parts and will probably begin construction next week.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

Got to agree, I bought Saitek yoke after my old CH one broke, while many other ways Saitek is better its elevator control just seems too inaccurate and sudden, bought it mainly because it's 60 euros cheaper than the CH one in local web store...

I think if at some point I feel like upgrading Yoke I won't be buying anything from CH or Saitek but go some amount up with price and get something really good.

I just finished modding my saitek yoke to get rid of both aileron and elevator detents. I'll post back after I've made a few test flights. The one thing I don't like about the saitek is that you can't turn the yoke 90* as you can with a real Cessna yoke. That's my next fix if I can figure it out.

EDIT - Just finished a quick test flight from KPVD to KOQU, the yoke is so much smoother but it takes a little to get used to.  Turns and flares are so much smoother for me.  It still isn't like the real thing, but for an hour of my time, it's alot better than it was out of the box.

hey guys, there is a new kid in town, GoFlight is on final testing on their new Yoke, I think it will close the gap between the basic low end yokes that mos of us are using end the high end that we all wish for but very few can afford to .....  

Cheers !

Yair    

Flight illusions yoke looks good expensive but good no feedback maybe no one owns one ;)

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

PFC Jet yoke and pedals (+/- 1000€), outstanding and sturdy, I had an AETI yoke with a Flight Link pedal setup for more than ten years, broke one spring and got it replaced by PFC in no time even though it was not initially their product. Best hardware investment I ever made!

"Sent from my regular PS2 keyboard using my ten fingers..."

Go for the Saitek CESSNA Yoke. Different internals, no modifications needed. More reliable, smoother, 180 degrees of rotation. 

Guest Mik75

hey guys, there is a new kid in town, GoFlight is on final testing on their new Yoke, I think it will close the gap between the basic low end yokes that mos of us are using end the high end that we all wish for but very few can afford to .....  

Cheers !

Yair    

That sounds very promising! I am really looking forward to upcoming news on this! If it is around 400-500 $, I would consider buying one...