Flight Yoke Comparison  

232 members have voted

1. 1. Vote on the best yoke if you will

• Saitek Pro Flight Yoke
    • CH Flight Yoke
    • CH Eclipse Yoke

They really need to do some promo videos and elaborate on its ability to be floor mounted.

$749 seems like a very fair price, like Vincent I want to see reviews and videos before I drop the $$$ though.  I said all along if it was comparable to PFC it would be my first choice because of features,,,  

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I've e-mailed them requesting a floor mounted model, I ask those interested do the same so we have more options in the market.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Sorry to revive an old thread, but does the Saitek Cessna Yoke have the same detents as the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke?

Someone in this thread mentioned that the Cessna Yoke has much better control, but didn't mention anything about the detents everyone complains about in the Pro Flight Yoke system. 

Unfortunately I don't really have the budget to pay for the crazy things you guys got, but I really want to get a nice Yoke system and right now it's between the Saitek Yoke and the CH Yokes. 

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Hardware Controllers & Drivers". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but does the Saitek Cessna Yoke have the same detents as the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke?

Someone in this thread mentioned that the Cessna Yoke has much better control, but didn't mention anything about the detents everyone complains about in the Pro Flight Yoke system. 

Unfortunately I don't really have the budget to pay for the crazy things you guys got, but I really want to get a nice Yoke system and right now it's between the Saitek Yoke and the CH Yokes. 

I'd actually like to know this as well.

On a side note, it's kinda funny that the admin bot has now moved this 3 years and some after the topic was created. :lol:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I'd actually like to know this as well.

On a side note, it's kinda funny that the admin bot has now moved this 3 years and some after the topic was created. :lol:

I bought the Cessna yoke/throttle, and yes the detents are there.  There are modifications one can do if it's too troublesome.  I really like the Cessna Trim Wheel and highly recommend that piece.  I find the Cessna yoke overall for elevator/aileron motion is decent after a break-in period that I complained about where the push/pull action wasn't smooth.  It's better now just w/ use.  However--the buttons on the Cessna yoke I do not like at all, having come from the CH yoke  The single button pushes are fine, but some of the rocker switches are crowded, too small, and it's very easy to actuate the rocker in the wrong direction by accident.   I would probably buy the Cessna yoke again however, so as a complete package w/ throttle, yoke & trim wheel there is enough good to offset the switch issue.  The CH switches IMO are much more positive, laid out better, and easy to hit the correct action intended.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Care to elaborate on the modification you made on the Cessna yoke?  

Based on everyones suggestions/concerns I think I'll purchase the Cessna yoke so long as I'm comfortable making the modifications. 

The Saitek Cessna yoke is well made (better than the standard Saitek Pro Flight Yoke) and has plenty of programmable buttons, but i have some words of caution for anyone about to buy one. In my opinion it has a fundamental design flaw which, at least in my example, stopped it from being usable for precision control. The stainless steel shaft has a slot along each side in which runs the roll sensor mechanism. Whilst the roll axis was always smooth, the pitch axis was only smooth with no roll input. With any roll applied, the added friction of the roll sensor mechanism meant that fine pitch control was almost impossible and became quite stiff and notchy, most noticeably near the neutral point of the spring centring where fine control is often most needed. This problem had nothing to do with the bearings around the shaft. I thought I may have just got a bad example but there are plenty of similar comments around the web. It may have improved with use but it was so noticeable that I returned it.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

It may have improved with use but it was so noticeable that I returned it.

It's improved a lot w/ use for me and I was very outspoken about the issue when I first bought the Cessna yoke.  Also though, I tend to use electric trim (assigned to the toggle on the throttle quad) a lot on final approach so that by the time I'm change pitch in the flare it's pretty much straight push pull.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

The Saitek Cessna yoke is well made (better than the standard Saitek Pro Flight Yoke) and has plenty of programmable buttons, but i have some words of caution for anyone about to buy one. In my opinion it has a fundamental design flaw which, at least in my example, stopped it from being usable for precision control. The stainless steel shaft has a slot along each side in which runs the roll sensor mechanism. Whilst the roll axis was always smooth, the pitch axis was only smooth with no roll input. With any roll applied, the added friction of the roll sensor mechanism meant that fine pitch control was almost impossible and became quite stiff and notchy, most noticeably near the neutral point of the spring centring where fine control is often most needed. This problem had nothing to do with the bearings around the shaft. I thought I may have just got a bad example but there are plenty of similar comments around the web. It may have improved with use but it was so noticeable that I returned it.

Do you think this would be alleviated by removing the detent by modding the Yoke as many people has suggested?

I'm still waiting to hear back as to the method of modifying the Yoke on the Cessna model.  I've seen many tutorials/mods for the Pro Flight model, I don't know if it's the same and I don't want to commit to buying one unless I'm comfortable modding it before purchasing. 

I bought the Cessna yoke/throttle, and yes the detents are there. There are modifications one can do if it's too troublesome. I really like the Cessna Trim Wheel and highly recommend that piece.

Thanks for the comment regarding the detents.  I have the Pro Flight version as well, and I was curious about the Cessna version.  My Pro flight model is starting to get a bit worn, so that along with the rather noticeable detent issue has me considering an upgrade.  While the extra rotation of the Cessna yoke is a plus that's had me looking at it, it's a shame to hear that it still suffers from the detents.

I can also vouch for the trim wheel, it's been a hugely welcome addition to my simpit.

All the pros and cons regarding the various yokes out there have me seriously considering the possibility of making my own.  I'm actually thinking of using the yoke handle along with the switches from my Pro Flight yoke, and then mounting that on a longer shaft and using a chain system and pots for the required various axis.  Might be a bit beyond me, but still, it would be nice.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

All the pros and cons regarding the various yokes out there have me seriously considering the possibility of making my own. 

Hi Jimmy,

It's interesting Saitek/MadCatz doesn't resolve the issue of the detents and make most everyone happy.   

Have you thought about the high-end ones, like GoFlight or PFC?  I like what the GoFlight yoke looks like but wow $749 is a lot to cough up.  I think it has had the 'it's on backorder' flag on the product for quite a while...

This person reviewed the yoke on Simflight and had this comment which I wholeheartedly agree with.  My workaround for this annoyance is to dedicate the right-most rocker switch on the throttle tri-lever for electric trim as the 4-way button (it's way too easy to move it, accidentally, etc, so you don't want to assign it to anything critical!) is as this person says just not the right place for most pilots for trim.  Anyway, the workaround takes care of it, as well as the trim wheel-I just use the elec trim for final pitch adjustments for landings.

I do have one remark on an actual design decision. How the yoke is modeled, you have an 8-way hat switch and a 4-way button on the left handle, and two 2-way rocker switches on the right. I’m actually wondering why they didn’t do it the other way around. Those 2-way rocker switches are far more suited as trim knobs than that 4-way button, and the electrical elevator trim is usually located on the left handle of a yoke, certainly if it’s a captain’s yoke. Also, most people have better dexterity in their right hand, something that’s needed for both the hat switch and the 4-way switch. This does not lessen the overall quality of the yoke in my view, but it is something I’ve been wondering about since I got the product.

I think things like the button arrangement and size, the detents, etc lead me to think their designers are not avid flight simmers.  Oh, they got it looking and feeling real good, but it's lacking some in the functionality realm.  Would I buy it again?  Yes, because for its price, it's ok for sure.

Noel