Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anakletor

Voice commands

Hello all!I have just bought a copy of PMDGs J41, which I am loving so far. I like its complexity and realism. I also use Radar Contact for ATC operations because of its realism. My biggest concern with RC4 is that I cannot direct the sound output to my headset. I am using Win7 64bit and I can't seem to find a solution to this. Any suggestions?My second question has to do with voice interaction with FO and ATC. I am planning on buying some of the following software for that purpose:FS2Crew PMDG JS4100 Voice Commander EditionMulti Crew ExperienceVoxATCSuperATCFS2Crew install file is 245 MB. That is quite a lot for being a J41 specific software. MCE is just 27MB and that is not much considering that it is supposed to work with every single aircraft in FS. Could that mean that FS2Crew is a much more complex and solid product, and hence better?I know FS2Crew doesn't communicate with RC4, which is problem since i would have to do all ATC chatting (instead of FO doing it). MCE on the other hand does communicate with RC4. But again, as long as I cannot get RC4 over to my headset MCE is not going to help much. Are there any alternatives to RC4 that offer good realism?What do you guys use for voice commands and how do you fix the headset problem?As you see I am a bit confused. Any help would be welcome.Thanks!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Use PFE for ATC. It has the most realistic voices. Some 100 different regional accents. For your checklist use voicechecklist.exe available on avsim here. With voicechecklist you can either set it up to work with voice recognition software (i.e. You answer the checklist callouts) or download preprepared checklists or make your own. I have had to make my own for the VC10.vololiberista

I also use Radar Contact for ATC operations because of its realism. My biggest concern with RC4 is that I cannot direct the sound output to my headset. I am using Win7 64bit and I can't seem to find a solution to this. Any suggestions?
I use RC on a second PC using WideFS, so the headset is connected to that PC. That's one way. The other possibility is to change the Windows default sound device -- it uses the current default, and you can change that after FS has been loaded. In other words, load FS, then change the default sound, then load RC.
SuperATC
I read that SuperATC is free, but only till the end of the year when it gets absorbed into the superset "Its Your Plane", which I use for both checklist read-outs and speaking to RC. I run that on my WideFS client PC too.RegardsPete

If you love PMDG's J41, then the FS2Crew J41 Voice edition will make you ecstatic :( I also use VoxATC and it works great together with FS2Crew.

If you love PMDG's J41, then the FS2Crew J41 Voice edition will make you ecstatic :(
Of all the many FS2Crew releases, the voice version for the J41 is my absolute favorite. Excellent software, highly recommended.

FS2Crew's file size (245 MBs) is large because FS2Crew uses three different "human recorded" voice sets: United States, United Kingdom and Eurozone. Those sound file are huge.FS2Crew does not use computer generated Microsoft Bob 'text to speech' because, as much as I respect Stephen Hawking, I don't want him to be my co-pilot :( Also, the Video Marshaller program that comes with FS2Crew takes up a lot of space because it uses real video.FS2Crew servers now support 'resume', so downloading largish files isn't really an issue.Cheers,

Bryan, be aware that pilot and copilot always have to stay ahead of the plane and Mr. Hawking would be well ahead there, even if planes sometimes travel through galaxies. So while the voice may be the downside, the advantages would be huge. :smile:But, I wanted to join in to praise the J41 Voice Commander Edition or even all Voice Editions so far (ok, I don't own the 767, but the rest). I just had a flight with the 747 and advised my nice speaking and not so far as Mr. Hawking ahead thinking copilot to turn off the packs on that hot day.He later turned them on again while climbing out, one by one and reported it while I was busy on handflying the fat lady. Really an enhancement in the cockpit and worth the money. Also, there's some quiet hot sounding flight attendant lady on some of the voice sets (I think on the "EU") and she even says that she is "ready to go in the back" now .. now that is some task for a professional flight sim pilot, huh? Big%20Grin.gif Beware! Quite challenging this stuff.I'm using the FS2Crew titles together with online ATC and VoxATC when offline. Fluent operation there but make sure to set up the mute key correctly.But one maybe silly question from my side remains. Is it really a problem for you if some software nowadays has 245 instead if 27mb? I mean, even the smallest SSDs wouldn't care much about this difference, am I right?I'm sometimes amazed how big some "HD" liveries can be but those 245mb from FS2Crew are a very good investment in my eyes.

SuperATC is free, so you can test it at your leisure. Multi Crew Experience and VoxATC both offer 4-to-6 day demos so if you have the time to dedicate to testing, I'd suggest that you try each in sequence.I know both Multi Crew Experience and VoxATC can both target different output devices but my speakers and headphones are fed from the same output on my PC, as I sometimes fly late at night and don't want the sound of jet engines to wake everyone. But now that I've thought about it, I'll have to find a mini-patch cable so I can try that in normal business hours.I used to use Radar Contact 4 with Multi Crew Experience but now I use VoxATC with MCE as my co-pilot.... except on the J41 where I use VoxATC and FS2Crew. FS2Crew is darn near close to being a must buy for the serious J41 simmer.

... except on the J41 where I use VoxATC and FS2Crew. FS2Crew is darn near close to being a must buy for the serious J41 simmer.
Thank you for the endorsement.But if you like the PMDG J41 Voice Commander, you'll probably like the others, too, as they share the same general concept and flow.I have them available for the Level-D 767, PMDG 747 and the 737s.Cheers,

MCE with Radar Contact is a great combination, although one of the things which improves MCE significantly, is if you use some payware SAPI 5 add on voices instead of the included Windows MS Mike, MS Mary, MS Sam etc, which are better than nothing, but still not great.I use Cepstral's 'William' voice for my co-pilot in MCE, and although Cepstral voices are not cheap (29 bucks for each voice), they do make MCE a very much more enjoyable product, and of course those payware voices can be used for other stuff too.Al

Thank you for all responses! That was a lot of interesting suggestions. I am going to order FS2Crew for my J41 today. It seems like that addon is a must for every J41 owner so I am looking forward to it. The reason why i mentioned the size of the install file is not storage limits in my computer, but rather the fact that such a big size for an airplane specific addon tells me that it is a serious product with lots of goodies inside.As for ATC addon I haven't made up my mind. It is a pitty that FS2Crew doesn't communicate with any of the ATC products. That is a bit weird. The J41's AOM states that the PNF will set altitudes, heading... as issued by ATC. Anyways, I can live with that.I like RC4 a lot, but the fact that I cannot redirect its sound output to my headset is a huge letdown. VoxATC seems to handle that part better (am I right?). I am getting my new sound card and headset thursday/friday and then I will be able to have ATC and cockpit chat in headsets while aircraft and enviroment sounds go to speakers. That sounds realistic!! :)I need to do some more research about ATC addons.

VoxATC seems to handle that part better (am I right?).
I don't know if RC4 can do that, but I know VoxATC can, so yep thats right.

Thank you for the endorsement.But if you like the PMDG J41 Voice Commander, you'll probably like the others, too, as they share the same general concept and flow.I have them available for the Level-D 767, PMDG 747 and the 737s.Cheers,
Bryan,I'm waiting for the PMDG 737NGX to be released and I don't have any other "complex" aircraft. I do have your "default 737" and it's great as well... I'm just not flying that a/c these days so I don't develop any bad habits that I'll have to unlearn. :(

Bryan,I'm waiting for the PMDG 737NGX to be released and I don't have any other "complex" aircraft. I do have your "default 737" and it's great as well... I'm just not flying that a/c these days so I don't develop any bad habits that I'll have to unlearn. :(
Good idea :(

The 27 MB is all code (exes and dlls). There are no videos or advertising material.MCE relies on voice fonts installed on your system. Note that if we had to install these, they would come at a hefty 100 MB each.Some prefer pre-recorded voices, but these are not always the best option.While it's easy to get a few people to record a few hundred words, recording a broader vocabulary set is a real challenge.For example, our co-pilot needs to spell airports names. Consider that there are about 25000 of them and you'll see why it's not an option.The voice fonts also allow for an infinite number of variations in replies. With pre-recorded stuff, once you heard it all, it looses its spark, because it becomes too predictable.Multi Crew Experience tries to emulate real world crew operation.We don't force a particular script.If you want to ask the co-pilot to pull the parking brake before saying "hello" or the other way around, we don't think this should be part of "procedures".Of course you can always adopt standard operating procedures of a particular airline and stick to that, it's just that there is more than one way to skin a cat.Instead we concentrate on making interaction with co-pilot as seamless as possible. Ideally a trained airline pilot should rarely if ever have to read the manual to find out what he/she needs to say. You have the ultimate flexibility in this regard.Because in the real world checklists get interrupted, ATC needs to be replied to, and things aren't always going to follow a script, MCE had to be multi-threaded. That means you could be reading the checklist, instruct the co-pilot to adjust heading, speed, or altitude, reply to ATC, and all at the same time.Writing a multi-threaded and reliable application takes years. Writing an opportunistic app takes months.Finally MCE and the speech engine run in their own process, this means they won't eat-up into the 4 GB FSX or FS9 virtual address space. And a voice command that goes wrong is unlikely to spoil your flight. There is hardly any need to restart FSX or FS9.Hope this helpsGerald R.On behalf of the FS++ teamhttp://www.multicrewxp.com