Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

Re: NGX impending release: Are we there yet?

This doesn't tell us much but PMDG posted this in a comment thread on the Facebook page yesterday:"Whether or not we are in beta testing has very little impact on when we will release this airplane. We expect a short beta period, as alpha testing is VERY thorough.."
Where is the "official" PMDG facebook page? I saw a few, and none of them have that quote. One of them, however, has an invitation to meet Russian women!! :(

Where is the "official" PMDG facebook page? I saw a few, and none of them have that quote. One of them, however, has an invitation to meet Russian women!! :(
Quote is near the bottom of this.https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=213888221960576&id=165758250130634

Quote is near the bottom of this.https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=213888221960576&id=165758250130634
Got it. Thanks,Regarding the NGX pricing....no, I'm not going to ask what the cost will be, etc. But, will the price be announced before the product is actually released, or will everything be sprung upon us at the same time? (ie: It's released!!....the price is xx, it's going to be one big package with the -700, -800, -900....or, it's going to be different prices depending on which versions you buy).

They did set a release date. Their product page on the PMDG website said 2010. They missed it. Dispute that fact!
They were late. Disputedrolleyes.gifWhich is exactly why they don't do it.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

I know their not making money, but I doubt they are losing money.
I would wager they likely might be losing money. Economy is in the crapper, there last release was the JS41 which in terms of popularity ranks just ahead of paper airplanes when compared to a release like a Boeing product. RSR has said many times some of his guys are working 18hr days 7 days a week so one would assume this is there full time gig. Past releases, 744, MD11, etc... still have some sales I am sure but likely not anywhere close to what they were a few years ago. So if that is the case I am betting they are very keen on getting this the heck out of their hard drives and onto ours.

Eric 

This doesn't tell us much but PMDG posted this in a comment thread on the Facebook page yesterday:"Whether or not we are in beta testing has very little impact on when we will release this airplane. We expect a short beta period, as alpha testing is VERY thorough.."
I thought Ryan has been saying for months now that when they go to beta they would announce it? Or are they now saying, we never said we would announce it at the beginning of the beta period? If so, it sounds like a politician talking to me.

Eric 

IMHO I seriously doubt that they are losing money....they still draw on the aircraft that they have available. For those FS9ers who dont have the rig or the desire to make the move to FSX, they have the entire stable available for purchase....and for those who have made the move to the dark side...they will need to repurchase their aircraft with the exception of the MD11 and that is if they didnt purchase the dual license. Maybe missing on potential revenue...but that will come at the point of release.

Frank Johnson

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I thought Ryan has been saying for months now that when they go to beta they would announce it? Or are they now saying, we never said we would announce it at the beginning of the beta period? If so, it sounds like a politician talking to me.
They said they would announce Beta, so we will know it is beta. They also said that they would not announce it as soon as they began. So Beta could be going on right now and they would not announce it until the last day of Beta, which would make a very short beta period Big%20Grin.gif.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

You say that but the more it is released late, the most they will have to sell to be profitable. Because basically they work and lose money as long as the product is not released, it don't bring in fresh cash, so obviously they want to make it available as soon as possible, but they just show how much they are not ready to give in the quality of the product to get it released earlier. I'm perfectly fine with a couple of extra weeks even if impending seemed to meant it would be pretty close, but rahter have a nice piece of software in the beginning than a crappy one, like some developers can do sometimes. I'm quite sure they would have given an update if they could, but I rather now they are silent and deep into finishing it than spending time giving many pictures and stuff and that progress is not made to make it being released.With the previous level of the PMDG productions, it is really safe to wait and actually, I really think should be taken as a sign of dedication from the team.Cheers
I'm a retired (successful) businessman who knows a little about customer satisfaction. If they're waiting for perfection before they release then we'll never see it. Look back at software releases over the years (not just games) and tell me how many were released bug-free and without the prospect of subsequent updates/patches. If they're losing money then it should've been released when they were 98% satisfied with the product and finalised the little things shortly after release. That would certainly relieve the pressure I'm sure they're feeling now. Maybe they're a victim of their own (perceived) status by trying to reach the unachievable.
+1And it isn't the first time that simmers have to wait for a good product but i think nobody's gonna die if it takes 2-3 weeks longer :)
2-3 weeks? Have you being reading these forums long?I'm a huge fan of PMDG and wish them massive success with NGX but I'd hate to see them burn out at the release of their crowning glory with the prospect of more to come.Steve McLaren

I'm a retired (successful) businessman who knows a little about customer satisfaction. If they're waiting for perfection before they release then we'll never see it. Look back at software releases over the years (not just games) and tell me how many were released bug-free and without the prospect of subsequent updates/patches. If they're losing money then it should've been released when they were 98% satisfied with the product and finalised the little things shortly after release. That would certainly relieve the pressure I'm sure they're feeling now. Maybe they're a victim of their own (perceived) status by trying to reach the unachievable.2-3 weeks? Have you being reading these forums long?I'm a huge fan of PMDG and wish them massive success with NGX but I'd hate to see them burn out at the release of their crowning glory with the prospect of more to come.Steve McLaren
Tell that to Airsimmers.RegardsRichie Walsh

Also if they rushed it out with bugs, the same people complaining about having to wait would be complaining that it has bugs. Watch, after it's release there will be some minor bug and the people who complain about waiting will be posting " WE waited for a buggy aircraft". PMDG has a reputation to uphold. If you have been in business then you know it takes years to get a good reputation and minutes to lose itRegardsRichie walsh

I hear you Richie but there's a difference between a buggy NGX and one with a few very minor issues that are known to PMDG and are in the process of being fixed post-release.I doubt that with PMDG's current NGX schedule it will be bug-free anyway. Is that even possible with a complex add-on?Steve McLaren

I hear you Richie but there's a difference between a buggy NGX and one with a few very minor issues that are known to PMDG and are in the process of being fixed post-release.I doubt that with PMDG's current NGX schedule it will be bug-free anyway. Is that even possible with a complex add-on?Steve McLaren
How many isn't too many? As it is it seems no 2 computers handle FS stuff the same. 1 machine could be bug free and another could have CTD's. This is why they test it. Anyone still waiting for Airsimmers Pro version or whatever they are calling it? They rushed theirs out and rushed themselves out of business.