Sign in to follow this  
captainklm

AF447 black box recovered

Okay, today is the day, as it had been announced in the French news, BEA today confirmed that they had been able to recover all the data from both bacl boxes, meaning they have the full data from the Flight Data Recorder, as well as from the Cockpit Voice Recorder.They said that they'll now be working on the data which will take several weeks, and that the Preliminary report should be made available to the public during this summer.CheersAurelien
incredible. after not only a crash but also 1 year in about 4000m / 12,000ft deep sea water and still functional. amazing. let's hope the data can shed some light on this tragedy and finally give piece to restless souls and their families

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Weather can be pretty strange at times, specially high level strong temperature inversions, a perfectly normal airplane at cruise can experience overspeed or stall just by entering one of them since high altitudes temperatures affects the margins in terms of speed. Can anybody throw some light ? much appreciated...

Weather can be pretty strange at times, specially high level strong temperature inversions, a perfectly normal airplane at cruise can experience overspeed or stall just by entering one of them since high altitudes temperatures affects the margins in terms of speed. Can anybody throw some light ? much appreciated...
I don't think it is an issue. There is really no such thing as high altitude temperature inversion but what can happen is that temperature (OAT) could be a lot higher than typical at that altitude for example 10,15,20 C higher. This does affect aircraft performance but thousands of flights experienced such conditions over decades and as far as I can recall no single accident was caused by it.

They said that they'll now be working on the data which will take several weeks, and that the Preliminary report should be made available to the public during this summer.
heard this morning on the radio that according to French newspaper le figaro unnamed sources related to the investigation said that after a first review of the retained data manufacturer airbus would not to be blamed for the accident. we'll see....

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

And this information relates to pmdg in what way?
Uhhh, this IS the general forum!!!Talking%20Ear%20Off.gif

I don't think it is an issue. There is really no such thing as high altitude temperature inversion but what can happen is that temperature (OAT) could be a lot higher than typical at that altitude for example 10,15,20 C higher. This does affect aircraft performance but thousands of flights experienced such conditions over decades and as far as I can recall no single accident was caused by it.
Thanks for the reply ...

heard this morning on the radio that according to French newspaper le figaro unnamed sources related to the investigation said that after a first review of the retained data manufacturer airbus would not to be blamed for the accident. we'll see....
latest update in case you are interested and missed it: German magazine 'Der Spiegel' cites people involved in the investigation that at the time things got awefully wrong the pilot was not in the cockpit. the voice recorder allegedly tells that the pilot rushed into the cockpit when the airbus was (about to) stall and shouted instructions to the (2?) copilots. stall was obviously caused because the aircraft was pulled up but it is unclear whether the copilot(s) pulled the plane up, causing a loss of lift, or whether aircraft systems caused the increase of angle of attack.phil@ pao, read your other post here, no intention to hurt anybody's feelings by further discussing this but as ryan mentioned, objective reflections and discussions of how what went wrong should be OK.

Phil Leaven

latest update in case you are interested and missed it: German magazine 'Der Spiegel' cites people involved in the investigation that at the time things got awefully wrong the pilot was not in the cockpit. the voice recorder allegedly tells that the pilot rushed into the cockpit when the airbus was (about to) stall and shouted instructions to the (2?) copilots. stall was obviously caused because the aircraft was pulled up but it is unclear whether the copilot(s) pulled the plane up, causing a loss of lift, or whether aircraft systems caused the increase of angle of attack.phil@ pao, read your other post here, no intention to hurt anybody's feelings by further discussing this but as ryan mentioned, objective reflections and discussions of how what went wrong should be OK.
No prob.... just felt a bit emotional the other night ;-)Greg

too much, too soon....

Yeh, same thing on the Swiss news last night, co-pilot was alone in the cockpit, pilot ran in shouting instructions at the co-pilot....

-Iain Watson-

Thing is this stiill adds nothing new: We already knew the airplane hit the water in a pretty much level attitude and at very high rate of descent from what is safe to deduce the airplane went into stall at some point.What we dont know yet is WHY the airplane stalled, why the automation was unable to avoid it, why the crew was unable to pull the airplane from the stall for the several minutes the fall lasted, etc...The only reason I can think anyone would make the assumption Airbus is not going to be blamed for the crash at this point is money, the money lawyers were expecting to get from them.Just as a curiosity.. This is the third crash of a modern airliner in the ocean I can remember where the pilot not being on his seat in the flight deck at the time the events unfolded is part of the chain of events leading to the crash: SA111, EA990 and AF447.What about the FDR? Any news?

Just a little idea of what could have happened:May it be that the pilots failed to recover from the stall???I have red the bea report and as far as I can see it says that the pilots always made nose up inputs while they were in the stall. So they wouldn't be able to recover. May that be the cause of why the plane crashed? (I know this sounds to simple. -And I'm sure it is.)Please correct me if you see any faults in my thinkings...

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

as far as I can see it says that the pilots always made nose up inputs while they were in the stall. So they wouldn't be able to recover. May that be the cause of why the plane crashed?
Right conclusion for the wrong reason.Just what in the hell was going on that caused them to hold a nose-up attitude for so long (over a minute) that the THS made it all the way back to +13 degrees???????As far as can be ascertained, they didn't apply the basic pitch/power memory item to maintain approximate safe speed and keep the aircraft flying. All three gyros were operating correctly (no topples/failures), and the altimeters appeared to be operating correctly (and winding down at 10000 ft/min!!!).Something was seriously screwed up somewhere for 3 pilots to fail to push the nose over and un-stall the aircraft.For anyone who flies - whatever you do - FLY THE AIRCRAFT FIRST!!!!!!! Deal with system failures later.It would appear from the small amount of info we have, that they neglected basic airmanship. The reasons why are for the investigators.Best regards,Robin.