Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xender

PMDG Bugzilla?

Hi Team!Maybe this is a bit geek but i was thinking... Can you give us access to your bug tracking system? (Maybe bugzilla?) If we have access, we can track the beta bug squashing process, and see the progress. After the product is released, we can use such system to post our bug reports and see bug reports from other users too.I find it very interesting. Maybe because as a developer and avid linux user, im used to such systems.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I just had a flashback to the Bug-O-Meter from those No Compromise guysbiggrin.gif

Hi Team!Maybe this is a bit geek but i was thinking... Can you give us access to your bug tracking system? (Maybe bugzilla?) If we have access, we can track the beta bug squashing process, and see the progress. After the product is released, we can use such system to post our bug reports and see bug reports from other users too.I find it very interesting. Maybe because as a developer and avid linux user, im used to such systems.

:(

Vin I have to agree with you on this. Some things are better kept in house.

After much thinking on NGX, I remembered the name of the movie: Cop OutVery good answer.I'm still laughing.

Had a pretty good laugh from that one

I've already seen Vin's answer, but I still think this would be intuitive. When I was the IT guy for a large company, I set up a sharepoint website where employees could report technical issues into the system. I had all sorts of parameters set up so that the system automatically decided the priority. As I was working on the issue, the employee having the problem could get real-time updates by clicking on their issue. For example, it might say: "1/1/10 - New hard drive ordered." Each time that I added an update, it was date and timestamped so the employees could view the progress. It would even give projected resolution dates. The other employees could view the whole list of issues and see where they are in the list. All-in-all, it worked well. I think something similar would still be very neat for the NGX, though obviously it wouldn't have to be this elaborate.

The problem is that any bug tracker is going to be full of proprietary information, including probably code snippets in some cases or details into certain logic. There's probably stuff in there that's under the NDA with Boeing as well, and even just showing the bug titles and not the contents would probably be too revealing. There is absolutely zero chance that they would do this.-stefan

I've already seen Vin's answer, but I still think this would be intuitive. When I was the IT guy for a large company, I set up a sharepoint website where employees could report technical issues into the system. I had all sorts of parameters set up so that the system automatically decided the priority. As I was working on the issue, the employee having the problem could get real-time updates by clicking on their issue. For example, it might say: "1/1/10 - New hard drive ordered." Each time that I added an update, it was date and timestamped so the employees could view the progress. It would even give projected resolution dates. The other employees could view the whole list of issues and see where they are in the list. All-in-all, it worked well. I think something similar would still be very neat for the NGX, though obviously it wouldn't have to be this elaborate.
that is a ticket system we use in our company as well. so this might apply to the pmdg service system but not for bugs, especially not before release of a product. I understand that this is kept internally. whereas I agree that the status update for tickets can make sense - except that I only once opened a ticket with pmdg for an js41 issue what was fixed right away, so I did not even have the time to check whether and where I can get a status update.

It actually would be really nice for paying customers to be allowed access to this. Given that the vast majority of flightsim products(with the notable exception of PMDG's) have known bugs that the devs refuse to fix, allowing access to a Bugzilla would be cool for those who have paid. Of course, PMDG's already are usually bug free, and I wouldn't characterize this as a reasonable request personally.

I can see it now. "Why isn't bug XYZ fixed yet? When is it going to be fixed? Why are there so many bugs? Why isn't my bug listed? Why isn't bug XYZ given priority? Why is no progress being made? Why don't they tell me the status of bug XYZ?! I am a paying customer, I DESERVE to have my bug fixed first or I'm gonna jump!!" And so on :(

It actually would be really nice for paying customers to be allowed access to this. Given that the vast majority of flightsim products(with the notable exception of PMDG's) have known bugs that the devs refuse to fix, allowing access to a Bugzilla would be cool for those who have paid. Of course, PMDG's already are usually bug free, and I wouldn't characterize this as a reasonable request personally.
except that you are not a paying customer (yet) of the ngx. and once you are there will be for sure so little bugs left that some bugzilla tool would make no sense. I am confident that pmdg will - as they did in the past - acknowledge bugs, collect them and then at a later point in time release an sp. nothing really to track for endusers like you and me just my 2c

I can see it now. "Why isn't bug XYZ fixed yet? When is it going to be fixed? Why are there so many bugs? Why isn't my bug listed? Why isn't bug XYZ given priority? Why is no progress being made? Why don't they tell me the status of bug XYZ?! I am a paying customer, I DESERVE to have my bug fixed first or I'm gonna jump!!" And so on :(
Yep. Unfortunately, that's probably the way it would go. *sigh* Why do we have to have those kind of people, they seem to cause a lot of inconvenience to the decent people.

except that you are not a paying customer (yet) of the ngx. and once you are there will be for sure so little bugs left that some bugzilla tool would make no sense. I am confident that pmdg will - as they did in the past - acknowledge bugs, collect them and then at a later point in time release an sp. nothing really to track for endusers like you and me just my 2c
Yup, so as I said, not a great idea for PMDG, but I wouldn't mind seeing a couple other companies forced to use it.

My experiance on both sides of bug tracking software has been a little less positive. As you say, it was 'nice' for the employee/customer doing the complaining, but it did not solve one single problem by existing, and the amount of time spent maintaining and updating the public side of the bug tracking system was time spent not solving problems. I far preferred the letter box approach; Describe your problem in a way we could find, understand and reproduce it and stick it in a letter box. If we needed to contact you, we would, and if you were talking sh1te, we could just ignore you. There was no need to keep 'touchy-feely' support people and hard core nerds and geeks tend to be better problem solvers when kept away from innocent bystanders.

:( Understood... Top Secret stuff. I will hold my request to get SVN access :(

:( thank you Vic, I'm gonna keep a reference to this one tosend to our marketing team when they ask me for a new driver feature :(

Absolutely no way will this be happening... sorry.Our system that allows me to input reports from the forum for Service Pack development after release - we are not going to be opening this up to anyone and everyone submitting bugs though. Especially with this product where quite a few things that have been simulated incorrectly forever are now right and will probably get called bugs at first until people get used to it.

Good point Ryan. You'd probably be flooded with people whining about how something is wrong, when theyre simply not doing it right.

Absolutely no way will this be happening... sorry.Our system that allows me to input reports from the forum for Service Pack development after release - we are not going to be opening this up to anyone and everyone submitting bugs though. Especially with this product where quite a few things that have been simulated incorrectly forever are now right and will probably get called bugs at first until people get used to it.
Give us a taste please Ryan, what's one thing we've become accustomed to doing wrong that we'll have to relearn?