Sign in to follow this  
Chalkman

New FSX backup program

Hi,I was looking at the screenshots and saw the eDimensional Logo at the bottom for this product. I did a search for "eDimensional FSX Backup", and although I got some returns on google, and it pointed me to the eDimensional site there was nothing there. Maybe their website has not been updated yet. Would be nice if we could get some details. Bob

Guest jahman

Get an external e-SATA 3 GBy HDD.Then use Toucan freeware to mirror all your Windows and FSX HDDs onto the external drive (make one directory for each HDD or partition). Mirror (with date and size flags set) according to Toucan means all source files not already on the backup drive will be copied and all files on the backup drive and not on the source drive will be deleted. So when you mirror only the new or changed files will be backed-up. And Toucan is very, very fast!Cheers,- jahman.

Get an external e-SATA 3 GBy HDD.Then use Toucan freeware to mirror all your Windows and FSX HDDs onto the external drive (make one directory for each HDD or partition). Mirror (with date and size flags set) according to Toucan means all source files not already on the backup drive will be copied and all files on the backup drive and not on the source drive will be deleted. So when you mirror only the new or changed files will be backed-up. And Toucan is very, very fast!Cheers,- jahman.
But does it backup registry/bootloader properly? I mean, can you copy back the backup drives and boot from C:?

Interestingly I was looking a backup software the other day and did the usual google search and found I think it was the allreviews website it suggested novabackup was the best with the most features.This lead me on to look at network attached storage and the like which I intend to use soon for my backup.Tom
I've used Nova - dumped it - not a good backup at all. It is easy touse but has problems like locking up systems.I'd avoid it.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I've used Nova - dumped it - not a good backup at all. It is easy touse but has problems like locking up systems.I'd avoid it.Vic
I use Norton Ghost #15 (I started with #8) it has always been good to me. I have a hard drive especially for weekly backups in my case and I use another connected through esata and stored remotely for monthly backups.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Just looking at the description again and it states it backs up your addons. Nohwere does it state that it does a complete fsx backup, with registry. It does not sound like a complete backup.Bob

Guest jahman
But does it backup registry/bootloader properly? I mean, can you copy back the backup drives and boot from C:?
It's a file copy uitility, not a backup utility.Cheers,- jahman.

Hello, I should say straight away that I am not very computer savvy, and like you I am dreading having to re install FSX etc. I have a lot of freeware and some payware.I had the simple idea that to avoid this "'orrible " re installation, I would do the following1. Having got a 500gig external hard drive, I would copy the whole of the FSX directory folder on to this hard drive.2. If I got a new computer, I could attach the HDD and run FSX from the Exe in the directory?3. I thought that couldn't work, just like that, but it might if I installed my FSX on to the new computer, ( on the C drive in the usual manner ) and now that it has a bare FSX install, stuff has been put in the registry - and so NOW I could run FSX from the external HDD directory exe?Could you expert guys tell me if 2 0r 3 would work. If so, would it fully work? Or only partially. I imagine that some payware add ons, which needed activation,wouldn't work ! - I'd be obliged if you could enlighten me - Thanks

Hello, I should say straight away that I am not very computer savvy, and like you I am dreading having to re install FSX etc. I have a lot of freeware and some payware.I had the simple idea that to avoid this "'orrible " re installation, I would do the following1. Having got a 500gig external hard drive, I would copy the whole of the FSX directory folder on to this hard drive.2. If I got a new computer, I could attach the HDD and run FSX from the Exe in the directory?3. I thought that couldn't work, just like that, but it might if I installed my FSX on to the new computer, ( on the C drive in the usual manner ) and now that it has a bare FSX install, stuff has been put in the registry - and so NOW I could run FSX from the external HDD directory exe?Could you expert guys tell me if 2 0r 3 would work. If so, would it fully work? Or only partially. I imagine that some payware add ons, which needed activation,wouldn't work ! - I'd be obliged if you could enlighten me - Thanks
You can use FSX registry tool to add the 500GB path to the registry. You'll need some VC2005 installs and then FSX will probably work.You will however lose all settings and scenery unless you also backup %appdata% and programdata on your OS partition.This is what I did. However half of my addons encountered problems, even if I'd reinstall them. I had to do a complete reinstall of FSX in the endedit: about backing up your entire system; This would only be an option for me if I made the backup right after formatting and reinstalling FSX. If I reinstall windows it's because I want a fresh install.