Sign in to follow this  
Katana1000S

MS Flight and FS1 comparison shots

More to the point, does anyone know when the next patch for FS1 is coming out? It seems like we've been waiting an awfully long time for it.Al
Fortunately subLOGIC turned out a perfect product right out of the box, no patches required. Microsoft obtained a license to port the program to IBM PC's and the rest they say is history (or at least a history of patches).Regards, Mike Mann

That is not a good comparsion, I want to see FS1 with all the add-on floppy disks being used, since that is how most users are using it now. (Yes, I bought a set for my area of the world.)-James

I hope MS Flight is the first one.... the second picture looks SOOOOO FAKE. Not realistic at all!

Daniel Miller

New FS1 patch soonTaylor RichardsSun July 01 9:15:27 EST 2011

I'm putting the final touches on a new patch. I've got a couple ofpeople testing it at the moment to verify that it fixes their problems. With this patch the fs1.vp should now be final and shouldn't changeunless something major comes up. I think this patch is finally cvsready and I'll send it in as such at little later on this week or thenext. I will split it up between general and FS1 specific patchesbefore sending it in though unless told otherwise.Some of the stuff that was done since the last patch: - All or at least most of the UI elements should now be done. I'm having trouble finding things that aren't exactly like the original. - The brightness slider in hudconfig now works but this required another pilot file upgrade. The upgrade should be automatic and will store and read out the hudconfig settings. This is the last upgrade I can foresee. - The weapon rendering slider is hooked up now but doesn't actually do anything. The way the game engine is now I don't think it's really necessary to try and get this thing functional. I hooked it up only to avoid the "It doesn't work!" e-mails. - The techroom is now finished. The FS1 techroom uses two backgrounds instead of one. Also it will now parse the original credits.tbl so the special one has been removed from the fs1.vp. It's been tested successfully with the original table, the SilentThreat table and the table from the German version. - Controlconfig will now work with German keyboards correctly, ie. not showing blank spaces for some characters and having the right description for certain keys. This change is not FS1 specific. - In the mve code I changed it so that movies are loaded from Data/Movies instead of movies since that's where the FS2 installer puts them when installed in Windows. It will also lower case all filenames before playing since I noticed FS1 calling mixed case filenames and I bet that FS2 does the same thing. I also added a bit of code (one line) to add a movie that has been played to the cutscenes in the techroom. This change is not FS1 specific. - Since it's been a problem a couple of times I added a fps option to the ini file so that you don't have to compile with debugging to get the counter. To turn it on add ShowFPS=1 to the [Default] section. It defaults to off if there is no setting specified. This change is not FS1 specific. - I added checksums for the German ships.tbl and weapons.tbl so that what networking works won't complain about hacked tables.There are probably a few other things fixed that I can't remember buthere are the things that don't work or don't work correctly: - Networking code. Enough changes were made before they switched to psnet2 that this is probably going to take a while to work out. In the meantime I changed the version number in psnet2 to not be the same for FS1 and FS2 so games from one won't show up in the other. I haven't tested to make sure two games can connect though. - Background nebulae. I don't have enough know-how to get this problem situated. I'm leaving it for someone else to look at. - Mission defined suns are still not used. I think that the default sun does for now so I'm not going to go out of my way to fix this.Networking code can be tested with -DFS1_NET, nebulae with -DFS1_NEBULA,suns with -DFS1_SUNS. The only other real problem with the game that Iknow of I haven't been able to recreate, no damage to a cargocontainer. I think this may be related to a problem that tigital saw inthe OSX port but I don't know that for sure or if he's figured it outyet.Taylor-- Taylor Richards

You realize that post had nothing to do with Flight Simulator 1, correct?

More to the point, does anyone know when the next patch for FS1 is coming out? It seems like we've been waiting an awfully long time for it.Al
Which will hopefully sort out the Autogen Issues.

Yeah-I remember getting .5-1 fps. Plenty good!:(
That was after tweaking autoexec.bat and config.sys - So good once the himem command was available to use anything over the base 640k of memory. :( Cheers mate,

That was after tweaking autoexec.bat and config.sys - So good once the himem command was available to use anything over the base 640k of memory. :( Cheers mate,
Maxter, you *have* been around a while haven't you!? :( Tell me, did you use Edlin or CopyCon to make your autoexec.bat and config.sys files? :(

I found this 1994 review of a Washington DC scenery add-on for Microsoft Flight Simulator v5.0..."I bought this scenery enhancement primarily for VFR flights to see the sights and landmarks around the area I live. So with that in mind, I tend to fly with the maximum details set. The problem with this is that the PC has to process data more quickly than at lower settings. With Flight Simulator 4, I was getting 10 to 15 frames per second on my 486SX/25, which I found to be a reasonable frame rate. I had previously installed Mallard's SAN FRANCISCO SCENERY ENHANCEMENT shortly after it came out and found that the frame rate for that scenery was about 1 to 2 frames per second and the joystick control was so bad that I couldn't control the airplane. When Washington DC was released, I expected to find the same problems I had with San Francisco. I wasn't disappointed (or maybe I was). With 640x400x256 SVGA graphics and maximum details set, I experienced about 1 to 2 frames per second while using the Washington DC scenery. I tried using a 486DX2/50 and found the frame rate improved to about 3 to 4 frames per second. At that point, I felt that I couldn't get enough performance even from one of the new 66MHz Pentium systems so I removed the FS5 and both scenery enhancements from my system. A few weeks ago, Microsoft released an update to Flight Simulator 5.0. I heard on Usenet that this update significantly improved the frame rate and also improved joystick control. I downloaded the upgrade, reinstalled FS5, applied the update and reinstalled both scenery enhancements. The upgrade was definitely worthwhile. The frame rate jumped(??) to 2 to 3 frames per second on the 486SX/25 while the 486DX2/50's frame rate improved to 4 to 6 frames per second. The joystick control was also improved, making flying FS5 a lot more fun. While I'm still disappointed by the frame rate, the software is now back on my PC and those Pentium system prices are falling.."http://www.ibiblio.o...s/washingt.html

I found this 1994 review of a Washington DC scenery add-on for Microsoft Flight Simulator v5.0..."I bought this scenery enhancement primarily for VFR flights to see the sights and landmarks around the area I live. So with that in mind, I tend to fly with the maximum details set. The problem with this is that the PC has to process data more quickly than at lower settings. With Flight Simulator 4, I was getting 10 to 15 frames per second on my 486SX/25, which I found to be a reasonable frame rate. I had previously installed Mallard's SAN FRANCISCO SCENERY ENHANCEMENT shortly after it came out and found that the frame rate for that scenery was about 1 to 2 frames per second and the joystick control was so bad that I couldn't control the airplane. When Washington DC was released, I expected to find the same problems I had with San Francisco. I wasn't disappointed (or maybe I was). With 640x400x256 SVGA graphics and maximum details set, I experienced about 1 to 2 frames per second while using the Washington DC scenery. I tried using a 486DX2/50 and found the frame rate improved to about 3 to 4 frames per second. At that point, I felt that I couldn't get enough performance even from one of the new 66MHz Pentium systems so I removed the FS5 and both scenery enhancements from my system. A few weeks ago, Microsoft released an update to Flight Simulator 5.0. I heard on Usenet that this update significantly improved the frame rate and also improved joystick control. I downloaded the upgrade, reinstalled FS5, applied the update and reinstalled both scenery enhancements. The upgrade was definitely worthwhile. The frame rate jumped(??) to 2 to 3 frames per second on the 486SX/25 while the 486DX2/50's frame rate improved to 4 to 6 frames per second. The joystick control was also improved, making flying FS5 a lot more fun. While I'm still disappointed by the frame rate, the software is now back on my PC and those Pentium system prices are falling.."http://www.ibiblio.o...s/washingt.html
Good find! :(

Maxter, you *have* been around a while haven't you!? :( Tell me, did you use Edlin or CopyCon to make your autoexec.bat and config.sys files? :(
Wow! That brings back memories! I used copycon myself.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Guest jahman
Wow! That brings back memories! I used copycon myself.
Both your memories are fading! It was "copy con autoexec.bat" (note the space after "copy"). :( Cheers,- jahman.

Seehttp://www.volny.cz/havlikjosef/comparison.htmFor a complete history in graphics ! Good !!!Bob - Las Cruces, NM

Guest jahman
Seehttp://www.volny.cz/havlikjosef/comparison.htmFor a complete history in graphics ! Good !!!Bob - Las Cruces, NM
I czeched that web for Manhattan, and while the jump in quality from FS2002 to FS2004 is striking, the jump from FS2004 to FSX is simply amazing. No wonder the hardware gets so stressed out!Yet I also remember how exciting the first versions of FS for the PC were, even though the graphics are so lousy by today's standard. There was no Windows, dot matrix printers ruled, programs were loaded onto a Winchester Drive (5 MBy!) and a meg of RAM went for a grand, but Flight Simulator let you fly an airplane on your PC!Cheers,- jahman.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.