Sign in to follow this  
sluihn

did you catch this...

FSX is far from been killed by Flight, freeware dev. can still make scenery for FSX.
Payware developers are also going to continue developing for FSX. The following is a quote from Orbx CEO John Venema when asked how far in the US does Orbx plan to go in FSX:Anyone who thinks we'll stop FSX development when Flight is released is delusional. We've stated that FSX and Flight will co-exist as parallel platforms for many years, so we will have plenty of time to cover the whole of the USA and Canada.Regards, Mike Mann

FSX is far from been killed by Flight, freeware dev. can still make scenery for FSX.
Who ever said freeware wouldn't be possible in Flight? New developers sure aren't going to have the skill to make their first release a payware add-on.

Brandon Filer

The funny thing is that we generally agree that the Flight target audience is not us and that the target audience is not likely to buy add-ons for the simple reason that they would not play the game long enough or would not care about add-on quality products. So, who is going to buy stuff from this new store. Surely not I, if it is a closed MS community and I smell the grubby hands of greedy MS accountants. In fact, I will likely not reward MS by buying Flight in the first place and would hope that the rest of the community would do the same.Btw, if Flight will not have a compatible FSUIPC version, it will be a deal breaker for many people as well.
Wow..I have a feeling you don't like MS. So you rather kill continued development of flight simulator than to "reward" MS. Gosh..I hope you are not like that in your relationships with people in your life. You wouldn't have anybody left.

Strange things happen when accountants get into the gaming business, and MS ain't short of accountants.
That is sig worthy material.So true.

Btw, if Flight will not have a compatible FSUIPC version, it will be a deal breaker for many people as well.
How do you know that FSUIPC will be needed for Flight or even be of any use?

And what will you do if Pete sticks to his word about the possibility of not developing FSUIPC for Flight? Will you stick with FSX forever?

Considering what I have seen done to many of my favorite game franchises over the years, yes, it is very likely that I will stick with the less visually appealing, but more intelligently written software of old. This goes for FSX as well. Flight may look better, but if the price of admission to it is to give up features and functionality that I deem necessary, such as the ability to program the many types of devices and controllers I have, for which I use FSUIPC, then I will stay with FSX until MS or someone else provides a solution.FSUIPC is a product with impeccable support and does nearly everything any of us could ever want in the areas for which it was designed. I have been a software developer for a long time and I can appreciate what FSUIPC does and what it would take to replace it. And replace it we must, because it makes things possible that we just could not do without any more.@frankla,If Flight turns out to be just half as bad as the picture some people have painted as a possibility, then I am fairly sure that I will not be alone staying with FSX. I did not jump on the Vista bandwagon and I will not jump on the Flight one either. I do have Windows 7 now and it may take Flight Simulator 12 to upgrade if Flight turns out to be like Civ 5, or Drive Unlimited 2, or Total War Empire or....but you get the picture.

Considering what I have seen done to many of my favorite game franchises over the years, yes, it is very likely that I will stick with the less visually appealing, but more intelligently written software of old. This goes for FSX as well. Flight may look better, but if the price of admission to it is to give up features and functionality that I deem necessary, such as the ability to program the many types of devices and controllers I have, for which I use FSUIPC, then I will stay with FSX until MS or someone else provides a solution.FSUIPC is a product with impeccable support and does nearly everything any of us could ever want in the areas for which it was designed. I have been a software developer for a long time and I can appreciate what FSUIPC does and what it would take to replace it. And replace it we must, because it makes things possible that we just could not do without any more.@frankla,If Flight turns out to be just half as bad as the picture some people have painted as a possibility, then I am fairly sure that I will not be alone staying with FSX. I did not jump on the Vista bandwagon and I will not jump on the Flight one either. I do have Windows 7 now and it may take Flight Simulator 12 to upgrade if Flight turns out to be like Civ 5, or Drive Unlimited 2, or Total War Empire or....but you get the picture.
Hey you said we shouldn't buy Flight because that would be rewarding Microsoft. You didn't say we shouldn't buy it because it might be a terrible software.

I don't know why it posted it multiple times.

Considering what I have seen done to many of my favorite game franchises over the years, yes, it is very likely that I will stick with the less visually appealing, but more intelligently written software of old. This goes for FSX as well. Flight may look better, but if the price of admission to it is to give up features and functionality that I deem necessary, such as the ability to program the many types of devices and controllers I have, for which I use FSUIPC, then I will stay with FSX until MS or someone else provides a solution.FSUIPC is a product with impeccable support and does nearly everything any of us could ever want in the areas for which it was designed. I have been a software developer for a long time and I can appreciate what FSUIPC does and what it would take to replace it. And replace it we must, because it makes things possible that we just could not do without any more.ow @frankla,If Flight turns out to be just half as bad as the picture some people have painted as a possibility, then I am fairly sure that I will not be alone staying with FSX. I did not jump on the Vista bandwagon and I will not jump on the Flight one either. I do have Windows 7 now and it may take Flight Simulator 12 to upgrade if Flight turns out to be like Civ 5, or Drive Unlimited 2, or Total War Empire or....but you get the picture.
Hey you said we shouldn't buy Flight because that would be rewarding Microsoft for its greedy behavior. You didn't say we shouldn't buy it because it might be a terrible software. I assume you are just trying to punish MS for some previous bad experience, not because of what your perception that Flight will be. If Flight ends up being a bad software, we won't buy it. But it has nothing to do with rewarding or not rewarding MS.P.S. Can you point me to where people have painted Flight to be so bad so as for me not to buy it if it only was half as bad? I wonder how you can speculate on it being bad if no one has used it yet.

Yes, re-reading my original post, perhaps I was not very clear. I meant to say that if MS locks the 3PDs out and creates add-ons for the masses (ie: good looking planes that fly like any other MS plane) then I am not going to support their efforts.

Forgot to add....we speculate on what we see and have heard so far...If we have no FSX add-on compatibility and we have no good quality add-ons (we are not the target audience, remember) -> people already said they will stay with FSX...I will too.If most of the new stuff is centered around on-line play, pay-to-play or some such, excessive DLCs etc (all speculation) -> clearly, many people will not buy into this from this forum.I could go on, but if you read the rest of the posts, you will find many more speculative ideas to which I was referring.

Yes, re-reading my original post, perhaps I was not very clear. I meant to say that if MS locks the 3PDs out and creates add-ons for the masses (ie: good looking planes that fly like any other MS plane) then I am not going to support their efforts.
Why are you stuck in August 2010? We know that 3rd party developers ARE NOT being left out. There's several pieces of evidence to back this up.

Brandon Filer

We know that 3rd party developers ARE NOT being left out. There's several pieces of evidence to back this up.
That's re:assuring. Can you provide us with some pointers to back up your statement ?

That's re:assuring. Can you provide us with some pointers to back up your statement ?
First, there was the job listing that Microsoft had put out for someone to lead the development of the Flight SDK. Unfortunately, that webpage no longer exists. (likely because they found their person) That page was originally found here: https://careers.microsoft.com/JobDetails.aspx?ss=&pg=1&so=&rw=1&jid=29189&jlang=Second, in PC Pilot, Microsoft pretty much said that they can't do all the add-ons themselves:"Maintaining an ongoing cadence of fun and interesting content for our new digital strategy is a big challenge. With the range of subject matter and aircraft styles, no one can do it all alone. We are creating the tools and facilities to enable external content creation, but as important as the tools are, how we get the ongoing content to all users is a bigger deal. At the heart of the new approach is a integrated marketplace."Really, the purpose of the add-on marketplace is to get more people knowing about add-ons, especially casual users of FSX that have no idea that add-ons exist, or new flight sim users that start out with Flight that also don't know about add-ons.

Brandon Filer

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.