Sign in to follow this  
ahinterl

2D panel 4:3?

Maybe someone who is asking that PMDG make additional 4:3 2D panels can expain what is the matter with the exiting panels, when viewed on their 4:3 monitors. I must be missing something ???

Potential 16:9 / 4:3 workaround:If you fly in windowed mode, you can adjust the overall size of the FSX window to more closely match a 16:9 "widescreen" presentation. The advantage is that you will not need to manipulate any files or resize any panels. The drawback is that you will NOT be using all the real estate which your monitor is capable of using. This is only a legitimate solution if you have a very large monitor with a high resolution, such as a 21"+ running 1600x1200 or better.

PMDG aren't going to (in a way) downgrade their panels to 4:3. They are 16:10, that is it. Resize them to fit your screen. You should've thought about it before jumping on the buying bandwagon. PMDG's 2D's are widescreen.
A.) It's not a downgrade to have panels properly sized to fit the aspect ratio of one's monitor.B.) PMDG never disclosed that the 2D panel was 16:9 only. (* At the time of my purchase, they did say they "recommend" a 16:9 monitor in the specs, with no elaboration as to why)
4:3 displays are fast becomming obsolete. If you still have a 4:3 CRT monitor, you will find the cost saving in electricity, if you buy a modern LCD monitor, will pay for that new monitor in less than 2 years.
A.) My past 2 monitors have been 4:3 LCD displays... not CRT's. Bear in mind that 4:3 LCD's have been out for nearly a decade and continue to ship, and they are just as crisp, energy efficient, and long-lasting as what you might consider to be the only show in town, a 16:9.B.) It's fair to say that CRT's are obsolete, but it is not accurate to say that 4:3 shaped monitors are obsolete.
Maybe someone who is asking that PMDG make additional 4:3 2D panels can expain what is the matter with the exiting panels, when viewed on their 4:3 monitors. I must be missing something ???
The geometry of the gauges, displays, fonts, and overall appearance is distractingly wrong in their native format. When the forward cockpit view is resized to a more appropriate ratio, the vertical post in the center of the display drops down, leaving a distracting gap above. ~ ~ ~ I am a 2D panel aficionado, especially with highly-complex airplanes. I really don't like the 3D VC due to the panning and scrolling concept, and I am NOT inclined to buy yet another software or hardware utility (EZDOK or TIR5) to perform a task which should be better implemented in the product to begin with. It's the systems which sets the 737NGX apart from the rest, and systems are always best simulated via a 2D panel concept, in my most humble of opinions. That being said, this 737NGX is quite a nice package. Yes, it has shortcomings that I am disappointed in - namely the 2D aspect ratio and the unfinished 2D cockpit - but that is really about the only concerns I can raise. I'm attempting to make use of the 3D panel because it's apparent that is where PMDG put their efforts, but it is a challenge. In all other aspects (no pun intended), the airplane is indeed a work of art. At the very minimum, I think it's posts like these which illustrate the need for PMDG to be more specific in the minimum specs and limitations. When an addon is so overly hyped and described as having everything but the blue toilet water simulated, it is important to also let people know what is missing as well.... especially if it's as basic as panels. Had it been documented in the pre-purchase specs that the 2D panel was missing the throttle pedestal and was 16:9 only, buyers would at least have had known what they were getting into. -Greg

Greg You make a lot of good points. However, it is what it is, and at least the user does have ability to modify the widescreen 2D panels to make them whatever they want. God helps those who help themselves. You can wait around, hoping that someone else will do it for you, or get on and do it yourself, and make it whatever you want it to be. But don't expect someone else to do it for you for nothing, ( unless that person is your Mum or Dad )

Guest 747-fan

I just spent a quite a lot of money building a decent i5000 rig, I really can't or won't buy a widescreen monitor right now. I would love to see the 2D panel in 5:4 (or whatever 1280x1024 is?).

I just spent a quite a lot of money building a decent i5000 rig, I really can't or won't buy a widescreen monitor right now. I would love to see the 2D panel in 5:4 (or whatever 1280x1024 is?).
1280 X 1024 is 5:4 ( SXGA ) Hypnotized.gifVideo_Standards.png

Since i fly mainly in the VC, the only thing that bothers me about panel aspect ratio are the pop-ups. They're always squished. But it is an easy fix, i guess...

Cristi Neagu

I think there is no need for an explanation for you. You just seem omniscient -
  • how much electricity a LCD monitor will save compared to an old CRT
  • what PMDG should do or do not for no additional price, etc.
  • what is the difference between the different VGA resolutions and screen ratios
  • what software one should use to improve the product which has just he just bought for 70 bucks
  • etc.

You my friend, should learn to read slower what people post. The OP just asked a question "just for information". You got that as an invitation for a lengthy speech which no one asked for. Did anyone asked "how do I resize my 2D OVHD textures" or "is my old 4:3 CRT obsolete"? If you got too much spare time on your hands, try to help people by answering a simple question with less words. I can not believe how people in this forum get bashed for asking really simple and innocent questions. And correct me if I am wrong but Ryan already asked you to stop answering on PMDG's behalf in some other thread where you again proclaimed what they will do and what will not. Enough is enough. More flying, less foruming.cheersIgnat Ignatov

If you are not interested in what I post, then BLOCK my forum posts. I am NOT answering on PMDG's behalf -- I noted Ryan's request, and have taken great care NOT to appear to be speaking for, or "assuming" what PMDG should do. Not every question has a simple YES/NO answer. I fail to see why you should object to me posting helpful information here.(Not seen you post anything of anything of any consequence, apart from TROLL posts ) TOUGH if you don't appreciate my input -- thats your problem, not mine. BTW: If I have posted anything that is INCORRECT Information, please feel free to correct me, but don't bash me for posting what is beyond your comprehension level.

I can not believe how people in this forum get bashed for ANSWERING really simple and innocent questions.

Hi all!! According to Geoff's monitors resolution picture (tks a lot for that friend!!!), my 21" mon with 1600 x 1200 resolution needs is a UXGA 4:3 (I think it's the most common aspect ratio for CRT monitors). With those parameters, the original 2D main bitmap panel need to be receized and all gauges position altered to fit the new bitmap, otherwise all panel instruments looks compressed and/or ovalized. I'm wondering if anyone has done it already and could share it with us. Regards

Geoff- thanks for the "monitor picture"! Not everyone is a "cfg geek" (same about me) and I do have one 4:3 and another 5:4 LCD as well. If you could come up with more precise info how to adjust that panel.cfg I and many more would be very happy! Thanks mate for input and stay cool.

Geoff- thanks for the "monitor picture"! Not everyone is a "cfg geek" (same about me) and I do have one 4:3 and another 5:4 LCD as well. If you could come up with more precise info how to adjust that panel.cfg I and many more would be very happy! Thanks mate for input and stay cool.
2D panels are basically BMP Graphic backgrounds, with Gauges/switches placed on them, by defining their position and size in the panel.cfg file.The Background Graphic needs to be scaled so that the round Holes for round Gauges appear to be round on the Monitor's aspect ratio you are interested in. 1. You need to resize the background graphic so that these round holes appear to be round when the graphic is displayed in your desired aspect ratio ( say 4:3) 2 Then you will need to reposition and give new size dimension to all the Gauges and switches in the Panel.cfg file, so that they line up, and are correctly placed on that resized background. You can do the reposition by trial and error, using say Notepad to edit the Panel.cfg, or, you can use a WYSIWYG interface, by using something like Panel Studio. Doing it with Panel Studio might take less than an hour for a complex 2D panel. Doing it by trail and error could take many, many hours, and a lot of frustration. The BIG Question is, if ONE of you do it, will PMDG allow you to pass around your modified 2D panel. ?Past posts have indicated that they do not favour those who have changed the resolution of Texture files, passing those around, and have asked they we wait till they release some "Official" lower rez texure files. I suspect the same will apply to resized 2D panels ... but you should get an official ruling from PMDG about distributing modified PMDG 2D panel files. REMEMBER, I DO NOT SPEAK FOR PMDG Loser.gif

Best Performance OS: Windows 7 64-bitProcessor: Intel Core i5 or i7 (Sandy Bridge core) or betterRAM: 4GB+Video Card: Nvidia GTX560 Ti, 570 or 580 with 1GB+ of video memory or betterMonitor: Widescreen 1920x1080+PMDG *highly* recommends the use of 64-bit versions of Windows due to memory limitations in FSX
The Future is Widescreen and the more time passes, the less you will see of 4:3 panels which are a dying breed just like FS9. Many still use FS9 but they can't fly the NGX can they? The name of the game is keep up with technology or get left behind. (It is an expensive hobby and there is no getting around that fact). Prices on widescreen monitors are at an all time low. You can get the following sizes from NewEgg. 18 inch $80.00 20 inch $100.00 21.5 inch $150.00 23 inch $170.00 24 inch $200.00 Considering I spent $500.00 on a 24 inch Samsung when they were fairly new about 3 years ago, $200 for a 24 inch now is a Bargain!Even if they did a 4:3 Panel its going to look ugly as hell and not everything will be able to fit on the monitor like in the widescreen version. In my opinion that is just a total waste of their time given the fact that they have more pressing issues fine tuning the product.So if your going to be defiant and refuse to upgrade to a Widescreen Monitor well you only have yourself to blame for not reading the Recommended Hardware Requirements before you purchased the NGX.

I too thank Geoff for the "monitor ratio chart." As it now stands (for how long is anyone's guess), in order to (potentially) satisfy everyone, developers would have to design and release four complete 2d panel configurations:

1. 4:3
  2. 5:4
  3. 16:9
  4. 16:10

Somehow, I just don't see that as a viable option for any developer, considering the time and expense required, especially considering that it would also require the person (or persons) doing the work to actually have four monitors with those ratios in order to test them! Bill Leaming

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

As it now stands (for how long is anyone's guess), in order to (potentially) satisfy everyone, developers would have to design and release four complete 2d panel configurations:
  1. 4:3
  2. 5:4
  3. 16:9
  4. 16:10

Somehow, I just don't see that as a viable option for any developer, considering the time and expense required, especially considering that it would also require the person (or persons) doing the work to actually have four monitors with those ratios in order to test them! Bill Leaming

+1 You forgot the Tripple Head-2-Go- guys with their 48:9 Money Eyes.gifMoney Eyes.gifMoney Eyes.gif Personally, I am happy to live with the slight hoizontal distortion. Also, if I was building a cockpit, I would probably want to customize the layout sizes myself. Far more important that the Gauges keep working, and the Addon does not CRASH, than the Steam Gauges being perfectly round.