Sign in to follow this  
simon747

Hmm....does not look good...

Well, I will vote with my feet where my money already is. I'm going wherever ORBX is going. 4 years ago it was a good decision for me to do so, and it will still be a good decision 4 years from now, so I'm on the way to the Prepar3D website. Having bought some 30 FTX titles, I am neither neutral or impassive. No point running madly off in all directions. Kind regards,

I've certainly not give up on Flight in checking P3D out, we simply don't know for sure what Flight will be like, and until I know for sure whether it is great/sucks, I'll keep looking forward to it, but in the meantime, P3D has interesting potential, so I'm curious about that, and have been for quite a while. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

OK, it looks like there is another sim available on the market right now and it's P3D. It's based on FSX, with fixed engine, will run on DX11 and has (or will have) all FSX bugs fixed. It can even be compatible with FSX addons. Is not it exactly what we all need?However, as I can see it's not new. It's already available for more than a year, if I'm not wrong... Why only now we've found out about it?So, what is the catch?Probably the new sim is not ready yet for prime time? Orbx says - get it if you would like to try it and go through the bugs (or something like that).

We've not just learned of P3Ds existence, I know many have been flirting with the idea of checking it out, me included, but in light of the possibility of Flight possibly being a real bummer owing to some more frank disclosures from devs, now seems like a good time to check it out, and you never know, if MS realise that some potential buyers are looking at another sim instead, they may get their act together and at least end the speculation and clarify what it is that is coming with Flight. I can't see why they would not, after all, they are presumably hoping to sell it, so there seems little point in not telling people what is in it. Al

Alan Bradbury

Why did it take so long for these so called developers to show their displeasure to a "gutted" simulator? And you know what? Orbx is being coy about this. I have lost respect for Orbx on the way it has handled this. If Orbx is under NDA, they have broken their agreement. If they are not under NDA, then their response in the interview was very mean, irresponsible and very unfair. How can they be trusted any more than MS?

I've certainly not give up on Flight in checking P3D out, we simply don't know for sure what Flight will be like, and until I know for sure whether it is great/sucks, I'll keep looking forward to it, but in the meantime, P3D has interesting potential, so I'm curious about that, and have been for quite a while. Al
Jumping in on P3D is like getting a second copy of FSX at this point....

Actually, Orbx have gone up in my estimation a little bit in chipping in on the discussion with something more tangible than the rumours and guesses we've all been throwing about, and they've not bust the NDA as far as I or anyone else can demonstrate, since we don't actually know what and what can and cannot be said under that NDA. More importantly, if MS has dropped devs out of the loop as some are reporting, then that's pretty much the end of any committment to stick to an NDA anyway, otherwise it would be like still following the rules for a school you no longer attend.

Technically, that would be a third copy for me, since I already have two copies of FSX. But in any case that's not true, since it is rather different in a good many respects (try diving a submarine in FSX for example), and if it was not, they'd hardly be able to suggest paying 500 Bucks for it and keep a straight face. Al

Alan Bradbury

I don't think so - FSX will cost you just 18 dollars.In fairness Prepar has had changes in the meantime.In some respect we will see two solutions to the same issues.

Why did it take so long for these so called developers to show their displeasure to a "gutted" simulator? And you know what? Orbx is being coy about this. I have lost respect for Orbx on the way it has handled this. If Orbx is under NDA, they have broken their agreement. If they are not under NDA, then their response in the interview was very mean, irresponsible and very unfair. How can they be trusted any more than MS?
Does anyone know what this cat is talking about ... Hypnotized.gif

I can't see why they would not, after all, they are presumably hoping to sell it, so there seems little point in not telling people what is in it.
Indeed, this very issue has also baffled me for a while. It's like they were not sure themselves what would be in it until (apparently) a week or so ago.
So jump in at v1.2...

Konrad

I think you have to keep in mind that English is not everyone's first language on Avsim and give people the benefit of the doubt. I got the gist of it. I daresay people would think I came across confusingly if I typed posts on perhaps a Spanish or German forum. Al

Alan Bradbury

Actually, Orbx have gone up in my estimation a little bit in chipping in on the discussion with something more tangible than the rumours and guesses we've all been throwing about, and they've not bust the NDA as far as I or anyone else can demonstrate, since we don't actually know what and what can and cannot be said under that NDA. More importantly, if MS has dropped devs out of the loop as some are reporting, then that's pretty much the end of any committment to stick to an NDA anyway, otherwise it would be like still following the rules for a school you no longer attend. Technically, that would be a third copy for me, since I already have two copies of FSX. But in any case that's not true, since it is rather different in a good many respects (try diving a submarine in FSX for example), and if it was not, they'd hardly be able to suggest paying 500 Bucks for it and keep a straight face. Al
If they feel so just and right, why have then not just come out and say that they no longer will be obligated to NDA? I think they still have legal and moral obligation. They may wish to sue MS for breach of contract and ask for losses due to time spent on Flight, but they have no right to come here and steer people away against MS.

Well, the only ones who would steer me away from MS and Flight, would be MS themselves if it was not what I wanted. I'm pretty sure everyone else can make their own mind up about that too. Flight will speak for itself when we see it. If Orbx came on here and said Super Mario Flying Plane World was the best thing since sliced bread, would you believe them without question, or make your own mind up? For the record, Flight will really have to suck arse big time for me to not at least give it a try, even if I am the only one on Avsim that does so. Al

Alan Bradbury

they have no right to come here and steer people away against MS.
Finally getting a glimpse into what MSFlight may actually be is what is steering people here away from MS...

Konrad

This cat is telling you that he is disgusted with Orbx. Either they are under NDA and they just breached it or they couldn't possibly know enough to start such rumors in their interview with the mentioned web site. It is one or the other and either way their behavior is appalling.
Finally getting a glimpse into what MSFlight may actually be is what is steering people here away from MS...
That is my point you are getting your so called "glimpse" from Orbx. How can they be trusted after the way they acted?