Sign in to follow this  
simon747

Hmm....does not look good...

I for one would be 100% ready to pay 500 bucks for a base simulator which is being updated, taken care of, follows hardware and runs great on current hardware.500 is a lot, but my expectations would be also way higher. But what is the status of that simulator?

And if that happens, MS will have thrown the baby out with the bathwater. Oops.
A big oops.

Isn't LM specifically prohibited from selling Prepard3D to consumers?

Konrad

Alan has hit the nail on its head :)Orbx is developing for Prepar3D because there is a published freely available SDK for it, just like FSX. The word on the street is that there will be new pricing models for Prepar3D which will remove the barrier to entry for hardcore simmers. And our stuff runs on it with only some minor changes. So guess what? We'd be fools not to port our stuff to it, especially when you have very talented ex-ACES devs working on an assured, stable code line which will be getting closer to the CPU/GPU metal. No brainer really.So now the Flight situation. When the SDK is available to developers we can make a call on whether we port to it. It may not be worth our while doing so. We won't know until we see the beast, won't we? Until then, all we have are some screenshots and a few videos, a rampart conjecture machine here at AVSIM, and what appears to be some seriously peeved developers.

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

Isn't LM specifically prohibited from selling Prepard3D to consumers?
I don't see them blocking me from buying it...

From another thread:Hi, Just to be clear (and trying not to sound defensive!). Anyone can purchase Prepar3D. We do not sell it as an entertainment product and the EULA talks about that, which means that it will not be appearing on the shelves of Best Buy next to Call of Duty any time soon..... I am not sure where the rumour started that we sell only to certain people, but anyone can buy it. It isn't about consumers, but end-use. If you are a pilot, simulation user, student, whatever and want to use it for familiarization, training, taxiing over bugs then go for it. If you are 10 or 110 it doesn't matter. If you want to use it at an arcade game, then buy something else. You can go to our website and purchase it with a credit card and download it. The commercial license version is $499 and we have added a considerable amount of features and made a lot of bug fixes to the code that we were fortunate enough to procure from Microsoft. A list of features can be found on our website at www.prepar3D.com. We certainly have added in bathymetry data to allow the use of submersibles and we have added in a few features for hard-core users that they should find interesting including true multi-channel (spreads the load of the image generator across multiple PCs), update to DirectInput 8 to allow up to 32 axes and 128 buttons per joystick, sensor views (night vision and infra-red), updated landclasses, GPS upgrades and so on. We have also updated and improved the SDK documentation and added more samples for developers. We are also going to be releasing an update version 1.2 of Prepar3D and the SDK in the next few weeks. Those that are looking to test, integrate, develop, investigate etc and therefore do not require a full commercial license can subscribe for $9.95 per month and receive 2 copies of the software. That is an option that many people are taking and I would be glad to see more people come on board and see what they can do with the app! There are no restrictions to joining the developer network. If people are using Prepar3D for commercial activities, then switching to the commercial license is appropriate and required. For Victor, sorry that the website isn't clear enough. I will work with Lockheed communications to try to get some clarity on that. We are just a bunch of engineers and not necessarily the best at marketing!! Regards,John NicolPrepar3D. And they also said update 1.2 is in the works. Updating rendering engine to DX11, with 64bits engine for some later point maybe. It's all in the thread in the PMDGs forums.

Can I also further echo Alan's comments by saying that Microsoft does not owe anything to developers with regards to Flight. It is their IP to develop and market to whatever demographic they deem fit. They don't owe us any favors; indeed it is their generosity in releasing SDKs for previous versions of Flight Simulator which have allowed Orbx and other developers to prosper, and for that we are grateful. Indeed we see a long and prosperous road ahead for us with FSX, and hopefully one day that may extend to Flight. But we don't control that timeline nor can we demand them to include us until they are good and ready to open the platform to third parties if at all.I think we are enjoying a good period for flight simulation on the Intel platform. FSX, Prepar3D now available, and XP-10 and Flight on the way. There is room for all these platforms to co-exist and thrive, since it allows simmers to choose what suits their hobby the best.Goodness me, I am really beginning to sound like a politician now, haha!

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

HelloThe monthly subscription for P3D is a bargain if you are at all serious about your flight simming.The time has now arrived for those who are serious about our hobby to jump onboard Prepar3D, it is the price of two beers in my local pub per month.It is either that or learn to love Austin and XPlane. So there is a version of FSX out there with ongoing development by some of the ex ACES guys that may eventually leverage the newest hardware and we are sitting around discussing what MS will do with what looks like a stripped down and locked platform. If we had been offered that when aces was disbanded we would have been all over it for $9.99 Per month

we have added a considerable amount of features and made a lot of bug fixes to the code that we were fortunate enough to procure from Microsoft.
You have the FSX source code? OMG, that's great! Why has Prepar3D been so "under the radar"? Seems like Prepar3D is where the future of FSX lies, not with Flight. Is Prepar3D is compatible with existing FSX add-ons? If it is then seems like you're on a winner... I imagine it would be relatively easy for venders to "port" their products to Prepare3D, hopefully with a discount for existing customers who are upgrading to a Prepar3D version.
Those that are looking to test, integrate, develop, investigate etc and therefore do not require a full commercial license can subscribe for $9.95 per month and receive 2 copies of the software.
$9.95 per month! That's a bargin! edit: Oh I just realized your post is a repost from John Nicol.

Matthew S

Alan has hit the nail on its head :) Orbx is developing for Prepar3D because there is a published freely available SDK for it, just like FSX. The word on the street is that there will be new pricing models for Prepar3D which will remove the barrier to entry for hardcore simmers. And our stuff runs on it with only some minor changes. So guess what? We'd be fools not to port our stuff to it, especially when you have very talented ex-ACES devs working on an assured, stable code line which will be getting closer to the CPU/GPU metal. No brainer really. So now the Flight situation. When the SDK is available to developers we can make a call on whether we port to it. It may not be worth our while doing so. We won't know until we see the beast, won't we? Until then, all we have are some screenshots and a few videos, a rampart conjecture machine here at AVSIM, and what appears to be some seriously peeved developers.
Excellent!!!

Matthew S

Just bought a monthly subscription for Prepar3D. I see REX are also partners alongside OrbX. Cool. Is there a Prepar3D sub-forum in AVSIM's future perhaps?

Konrad

Is there a Prepar3D sub-forum in AVSIM's future perhaps?
That would be a very good idea!

Matthew S

I don't want to get too excited about all of this stuff but I must say that at first blush I find it very refreshing that after being lead around by the nose by MS with their promises and release dates it would be wonderful to switch over to the Prepar3d guys for the future. From the first rumor of flight, deep down I have thought at the age of 64, I don't want to start chasing this star again. And without products like Flight 1 and ORBX then Flight would be a non-starter. I second the motion for a new Board to support these developements. If you can afford it sign up with these guys. 9.99 a month from a few of us will let them know we are interested!!

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

The most active Prepar3d forum is on the Prepar3d site.But I agree AVSIM should also have a local Prepar3d forum.

Still trying to decide whether or not to throw the full price at Prepar3D or just give a subscription a whirl, I'll be doing one or the other at some point, that I do know. I do think a dedicated forum on Avsim for it would be a good idea, not least because it would be a good place for people say what does and does not work with it directly from FSX. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

If Prepar3D turns out to be the cats meow of flight SIMS I might cough up the cash for the full thing. But I'd have to see some serious quality and performance coming from it. As well as a nice leap towards the next generation of add on's. If not, I'll collect my stash of FSX goodies and spend the cash on a nice FSX gaming rig as hardware comes out and prices come down. If FLight turns out to be our worst nightmare and Prepar3D is priced too high for most then FSX will take on a whole new meaning once everyone can run it, all the add on eye candy goodies and the latest whiz bang special from PMDG at max settings.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy