Sign in to follow this  
CPT.KRISTIAN

What is Prepar3D?

Hello MikeRead here for how P3D stacks up against FSXhttp://www.prepar3d....-release-notes/One potentially big addition" New example and article documentation on leveraging the new ExternalSim APIs to run the user’s own aerodynamic model and simulation through SimConnect in Prepar3D"Realistic turbo prop simulation ?
Mad Dog - Now THAT'S the information I was looking for thanks so much. Looks like the potential for Prepar3D would be crippled by merely using it as an FSX substitute. Very interesting...

Eh? I'm not sure what you're talking about. FSX is being used in a full motion simulator at a flight school in my area. What EXACTLY has LM done to change ESX? Is there a new SDK that allows functionality outside of the FSX SDK? If so what are they? FSX can be a zoo too since it came with swimming whales and migrating wilderbeasts. As a matter of fact Train Sim 2 was going to be based on the FSX engine so it can be a trainsimulator too. You make a large claim comparing FSX to a network with 4 computers and ESX to the Internet (you hit home there since I work for Cisco and am a CCIE :-). Details please.
I have been building 737 800 simulators for the aviation education sector for over 10 years.The only role FS9/FSX can play in a full flight deck is to be used for the outside visuals and nothing else.It is the weakest and cheapest part of the whole seup and even breaks Microsofts EULA by being used for such puposes in the first place.All hardware panels, controls, displays etc are controlled by Project Magenta software which costs over 10,000 euro for 1 commercial licence.FSX is installed on one PC and PM is spread across about 8 PC's and networked using FSUIPC and WIDECLIENT.Project Magenta's PM-Systems controls all the logic for the overhead panel and all other hardware panels.FSX's SDK is of no use whatsoever in such a setup. Simconnect does not even come into the picture. What has Lockheed done with ESP ??Lots !!!!!!!!! These are just a few things since April this year. New Features
  • Multi-Touch support added
    • Multi touch on single touchpanels and across multiple touchpanels

[*]New functionality to Save and Load Custom Control configurations[*]New SimConnect APIs Added to support enhanced development

• Synchronous SimConnect
      • Allows for “blocking” callbacks, meaning that the SimConnect server side will wait until you release it to continue running the sim
      • Both new APIs and additional flag values for existing APIs

[*]Ground Info Query

• Allows querying for a grid of ground alt info around a point or a SimObject
      • Can query for just ground, or ground and platforms (landable surfaces)

[*]External Simulation Support Available through SimConnect

• Allows writing an external simulation via SimConnect
    • Primary External Sims are the main sim for a SimObject, they compute everything
    • Secondary External Sims allow adding additional secondary sims to handle simulating/animating subsystems
    • SimObject containers can be created that use External Sims (via the aircraft.cfg/sim.cfg file)
    • Existing objects can be created and have their existing simulation overridden with a primary external sim at runtime
    • Secondary external sims can be attached to existing simobjects at runtime
    • Simple sample external sim included in the SDK’s SimConnect samples directory

[*]Additions to the standard vehicle models (legacy aircraft showing some of the proud history we have!)

GPS Gauge Enhancements to Allow FAA Qualification

• GPS welcome/verification page
  • Support for SIDs (Standard Instrument Departures) and STARs (Standard Arrivals)
  • XML format defined for SIDs and STARs
  • Added synchronization of CDI scale with analogue instruments

SDK

• Updated Sensor view integration, examples and documentation
  • Multi-channel instructions rewritten for clarity
  • GUID generator example
  • Documentation to add SIDS and STARS
  • How to control observer views through SimConnect

Performance Improvements

• More efficient handling of Bathymetry
  • Optimizations for running with Bathymetry disabled
  • Upgraded rain/snow shaders to 3.0
  • Upgraded default aircraft shaders to 3.0
  • Default system performance configuration has been updated

User Interface Updates/Modernization Continue

• Redesigned, dynamic menu system
  • New modernized screens
    • Kneeboard
    • Settings
    • ATC
    • Fuel payload
    • Multiplayer chat
    • Flight plan

****************************************************************************************Ver 1.2 which was just released yesterday !! Full Windows 7 Support

• User interface redesign
    • New interface and extended multiplayer experience
    • Observer view camera management redesigned and expanded
    • Save flight user interface redesigned
    • Alert system and progress dialogs redesigned for continuity
    • End flight interface redesigned and clarification added

Additional Aircraft Added to Standard Vehicle Set

• Beechcraft Baron 58
  • Beechcraft King Air 350

Multiplayer Experience Redesigned and Improved

• Redesigned, streamlined multiplayer user interface
    • All multiplayer screens have been redesigned including the mission resolution and racing results windows

[*]Multiplayer simplified and streamlined for the end training user[*]Connect to IP now works on a global scale[*]Several improvements to the internal voice communication system

• Removed local echo
    • No longer sends communication data packets when no one is talking
    • Able to select a sound device other than your default system sound device for multiplayer voice communication

[*]Submersible and other SimObject categories are now supported by multiplayer[*]Multiplayer chat redesigned and able to be maximized and resized[*]Other miscellaneous multiplayer updates

• When ending your multiplayer session you are no longer placed back to your simulator’s default flight
    • Add-on scenery is now an allowable option in multiplayer sessions
    • Tower controls now have access to the map feature
    • The ‘Join Aircraft’ button now swaps to ‘Leave Aircraft’ when joining a shared aircraft
    • If the map is chosen to be disabled, users can now not access it via the map button on certain aircraft panels

Other New Features in v1.2

• Users can specify where flight plans are saved and loaded from
  • Enhancements to the Submersible SimObject Class
    • Animations and lighting support added to submersibles
    • Proper lighting at depth
    • Submersibles are properly rendered on the ground

[*]Observer view system enhancements

• User interface redesigned for clarity and ease of use
    • Observer views can be easily configured with sensor and color views

[*]Users are prompted when they attempt to load an incomplete or incorrect mission file that does not load correctly[*]Users can sort the columns of data in the Select Airport user interface[*]Tail number, call sign and flight number can be set on an aircraft’s ‘View details’ screen[*]Underwater scenery is now visible from above water if appropriate detail settings are selected[*]Menu system font has been changed for increased visibility and readability[*]The scenery library dialog now defaults to a user’s Prepar3D installation directory, not the desktop

• The ‘Use Directly’ and ‘Cache Scenery’ radio buttons have been further explained with tooltip text

Performance Improvements

• Rendering pipeline performance improvements show a marked performance improvement in all cases
  • Enhancements to water detail effects and rendering settings
    • Water effects settings are now divided into two sliders, Reflection Detail and Refraction Detail, which are clearly labeled
    • The Low, Med, High names have been replaced with text describing what scene elements are rendered at each setting
    • The water clarity slider controls the transparency of the water surface
    • Learning center article expanded upon to further explain details of each setting

Multichannel Capability Extended

• Expanded field of views able to support up to a 360 degree field of view
  • Documentation and samples expanded in the Learning Center and further examples added to the Software Development Kit

Learning Center Documentation Enhanced

• Additional examples for new multichannel 360 degree field of view support
  • Additional articles added including navigation section and glossary
  • Multiplayer learning center article expanded for new features

Software Development Kit Enhancements for Developers

• Modeling tools have been updated to support 3D Studio Max 2010, 2011 and 2012
  • Configurable ground clamping capability
    • Added ability for SimConnect to “tag” the SimObjects that it creates
    • Added new API, AISetGroundClamp, that allows turning on the ground clamping facility which will push objects that are underground back up to ground level

[*]Additional ExternalSim capabilities

• Additional SimVar support to External Sim
      • Added fallback support for any SimVar not natively supported by the current Category Sim Class, so all SimObjects inherit this ability.

[*]New example and article documentation on leveraging the new ExternalSim APIs to run the user’s own aerodynamic model and simulation through SimConnect in Prepar3D

Known Issues Resolved

• Kneeboard and mission issues
    • HTML code is no longer improperly rendered in the missions tab on the kneeboard
    • The screen location of the kneeboard is saved and loaded from saved flight files
    • Prepar3D now recognizes and processes the ‘MissionBrief’ entry in a mission’s ScenarioMetadata
    • The kneeboard is rendered after a mission loads 100 percent, not before

[*]Various crash issues resolved

• Prepar3D no longer crashes upon exiting on Windows XP in certain cases
    • Prepar3D no longer crashes in certain cases if the user chooses to show the desktop as the splash screen is loading
    • Prepar3D no longer crashes when loading the Pilot Records on Windows XP

[*]Other issues resolved

• Prepar3D correctly restores from the task bar if another window has focus
    • The user is prompted when trying to save an observer view with the same name of a previously created observer view
    • The “Show/Hide Airports” and “Show/Hide ILS Feathers” are correctly de-coupled in the map user interface
    • Map mouse buttons now change state after clicking on them, not after the mouse leaves the button
    • The save flight dialog now correctly shows in full-screen mode on Windows XP systems
    • Check marks rendered in white in Windows XP are now rendered in black

I think I've made my point !!Unless of course you would like lots more info !! Fred.

Thanks Fred, After reading this the other night I was convinced. Shocked.gif If this doesn't make a believer out of any sensible sceptic, nothing will. Kind regards,

Ive just signed up and im downloading right now (very slowly i might add here in the UK), Will see what addons i can get to work in P3D and what wont, i dont think VATSIM is compatible is it?

We don't draw the same conclusion and it appears quite a few people are reading a lot more into it than we do.
Hi John Thank you very much for the considered response! My apologies if I was not clear enough - the distinction between game/hobby/simulator according to the fs community is not at all the issue and I have no doubt that there would not be a single person here (myself included) who considers their fs simulator a game. However, as you point out the definition of what exactly it is we are doing (gaming/simming/learning/feeding our passion etc) is a matter of opinion and THAT is what "worries" me going forward. There just does not seem to be any guarantee that at some point in the future MS will not step in and annouce that according to them P3D is being used for entertainment purposes a bit more than they are comfortable with, especially so if MSFlight turns out to be something the fs community would indeed be interested in. At such a point MS may feel that P3D is cannibalising the sales of MSFlight and it may be difficult, if not impossible, to use matters of opinion as a defense. The above scenario, as unlikely as it may seem, is nevertheless something which I sense the fs community remains unsure about.

Konrad

Hi John Thank you very much for the considered response! My apologies if I was not clear enough - the distinction between game/hobby/simulator according to the fs community is not at all the issue and I have no doubt that there would not be a single person here (myself included) who considers their fs simulator a game. However, as you yourself point out the definition of what exactly it is we are doing (gaming/simming/learning/feeding our passion etc) is a matter of opinion and THAT is what "worries" me going forward. There just does not seem to be any guarantee that at some point in the future MS will not step in and annouce that according to them P3D is being used for entertainment purposes a bit more than they are comfortable with, especially so if MSFlight turns out to be something the fs community would indeed be interested in. At such a point MS may feel that P3D is cannibalising the sales of MSFlight and it may be difficult, if not impossible, to use matters of opinion as a defense. The above scenario, as unlikely as it may seem, is nevertheless something which I sense the fs community remains unsure about.
Or it might be the other way around: FSX has proven not to be for masses (performance issues due to rendering of the curved earth etc, I remember reading that somewhere), as apparently MS is producing something else with MS Flight (maybe), thus has sold the platform to someone else (LM) to turn the platform to something useable for hardcore simmers (us), so it gives them space to develop something for masses (a regular BestBuy Joe), something everyone can run on their system, indeed being an "entertainment" product. What I wanna say: separate the sides to make both sides happy.

21 hours later, V1.2 downloaded. Those download times for P3D really suck big time LOL Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

21 hours later, V1.2 downloaded. Those download times for P3D really suck big time LOL Al
Dont they just! Mines showing about 6 hours left, its been going since about 9am!!

Hi John Thank you very much for the considered response! My apologies if I was not clear enough - the distinction between game/hobby/simulator according to the fs community is not at all the issue and I have no doubt that there would not be a single person here (myself included) who considers their fs simulator a game. However, as you point out the definition of what exactly it is we are doing (gaming/simming/learning/feeding our passion etc) is a matter of opinion and THAT is what "worries" me going forward. There just does not seem to be any guarantee that at some point in the future MS will not step in and annouce that according to them P3D is being used for entertainment purposes a bit more than they are comfortable with, especially so if MSFlight turns out to be something the fs community would indeed be interested in. At such a point MS may feel that P3D is cannibalising the sales of MSFlight and it may be difficult, if not impossible, to use matters of opinion as a defense. The above scenario, as unlikely as it may seem, is nevertheless something which I sense the fs community remains unsure about.
Hi Konrad, I think that you are getting a bit too far ahead and looking at issues that just don't exist. We could all create scenarios for doom and gloom, but seriously we need to stop creating problems where none exist! I have provided information to the community on behalf of the Lockheed Martin Prepar3D team to try to end such speculation, conjecture and misinformation and yet scenarios continue to be created for problems that just aren't there. I would respectfully suggest that at the end of the day it serves no purpose but to cloud and confuse any real issues that might appear later on. Again, I invite people that have problems or concerns to address them directly with us at the Prepar3D forums to get a definitive answer. I will only now interject here, or on other forums if I feel that there are issues that need clarification. Thanks for your understanding. Regards,John NicolPrepar3D
Dont they just! Mines showing about 6 hours left, its been going since about 9am!!
Yes, it is a bit of a pain, but I can say that from this version onwards, we have implemented a patching system so future downloads for updates should not be the full version. Unfortunately for new purchases it will always be the full product the first time around. Regards,John NicolPrepar3D.

Its not the size of the download, its the download speed, Im only getting 200kB/sec which is pretty rubbish on my 10mb connection, but oh well im sure it will be worth it.

I would have thought a corporation like LM could afford to get a decent cloud host even though it's such a large download, my connection could pull this down in less than 90 minutes at full speed.

Cheers, Andy.

I think that you are getting a bit too far ahead and looking at issues that just don't exist.
Fair enough. Case closed.

Konrad

Having given it a try now, I can confirm it is a nice improvement in V1.2, still got an issue with the sub mission crashing, not that this will bother many flight simmers, but I am curious to check out the oceanic stuff, so it's a bit of a bummer for me personally. Good news about that patching system being implemented, note that US users seem to be getting faster download speeds from what I can gather, which is understandable, someone must be stood on the wire that is stretching across the Atlantic LOL. The P-38 Lightning, lit up by lightning, in P3D: p38.jpg Al

Alan Bradbury

Hi John: Even though Konrad is arguing a point that is a slippery slope - let me play devil's advocate none-the-less. Prior to clicking purchase of Prepar3D I see the following warning / disclaimer / notification. "the Prepar3D application is not to be used, offered, sold or distributed through markets or channels for use as a personal/consumer entertainment product." Now, I have no intention of developing anything for Prepar3D but I do have the intention of utilizing your product as an FSX replacement to take advantage of SLI, improved performance, higher res scenery, etc. I am more than willing to pay $9 per month for the use of the product (I pay more than that for a Venti Starbucks coffee and two scones every morning) but like the majority of the people purchasing your product, fully intend to use it "as a personal/consumer entertainment product." Can I still purchase the product? If the answer is yes then to Konrad's point what is the critical mass consumer purchase load that MS would tolerate before MS believes that your version of their product is competing with their version of their product? 100-1000-10000? Personally as the days progress and the Hawaii screenshots pile up I am less and less excited about "Flight" and as the list of enhancements and dedication to Prepar3D pile up I am more and more excited about your product. All things being equal if "Flight" means like FS9 that I have to reinvest $1000's to repurchase my existing add-ons again then Prepar3D is an immensely more attractive alternative. As Word Not Allowed pointed out above, as a hardcore simmer I have no intention of being stuck doing lazy 8's around the Keck Telescope array, so I would forgo purchasing Flight and invest heavily in Prepar3D. Wouldn't that upset Redmond just a tad if it caused lost revenue to them? Again. Just playing devils advocate here and all things being equal I intend to purchase a subscription to Prepar3D BUT, again so there is no misunderstanding, as a platform to enjoy the entertainment of my "hobby". Best Regards, Mike

Yup, I'm not sure I follow that bit of the EULA either. I'm assuming you can use it as an entertainment product, but you'll just have to pretend that you are not at all entertained by it for legal purposes, so if anyone from MS comes to your house and you are using P3D, be "prepared'' to start crying and looking unhappy, until they are completely convinced you are not being entertained by P3D at all, and leave you in simulated unentertained sorrow. Maybe that's why they called it Prepar3D? Seriously though, whenever I fly an aeroplane for real, I am without doubt entertained by doing so, even though my aeroplane was not sold as an entertaiment product, so I'm going to presume that's what they mean. Al

Alan Bradbury