Sign in to follow this  
CPT.KRISTIAN

What is Prepar3D?

I just flew both sims at Bowerman back to back with the same aircraft and settings. I don't see any difference performance wise with ORBX scenery at that location. FSX has the visual advantage however because of REX, SHADE, FSWC and numerous other programs. In my view the Prepare3D advantage at this point is the enhanced stability of a fixed and relatively debugged FSX, with increasing capacity and code revisions that will take advantage of today's hardware at an increasing rate. FSX was never the past, as it was a dog for years, but when greatly modified and tweaked has a very respectable present, but it is in no way the future. Prepare3D is the future. How that relates to need or urgency to switch sims right now, I don't know. If it costs a bunch of money to replicate the programs already paid for and enjoyed in FSX, then sober thought and careful consideration is in order. Talk from developers that their payware was practically given away at welfare rates for FSX, but that things will change with Prepare3D feels like a slap and a bucket of ice cold water. If it costs large sums to go from FSX to Prepare3d in order enjoy what we already have and enjoy in FSX, flaws and all, then that may not be all that attactive. On the other hand, perhaps it might be great to have better products than the best addons we are already used to in FSX. If Prepar3D is the future, and I think it is, then talent and hardwork will be attracted to the great opportunity it is. Success is fulfilled and renewed when genius rises above competition, no matter how long the odds. What may be available for Prepar3D in a year or two might leave us breathless, perhaps far better than anything we have seen before. In that case $10.00 a month is a small fee to pay for access to such great inovation, ideas and products to come. Very cool! Kind regards,

If it costs a bunch of money to replicate the programs already paid for and enjoyed in FSX, then sober thought and careful consideration is in order. With talk from developers that their payware was practically given away at welfare rates for FSX, but that things will change with Prepare3D is like a bucket of ice cold water. I would think that every developer should appreciate the custom enjoyed at least as much as those who gave it. If it costs large sums to go from FSX to Prepare3d in order enjoy what we already have in FSX, flaws and all, then that may be a different story.
The upside of that though, is that one would imagine someone won't be able to quite so easily get away with banging out any old load of crap for P3D, which let's face, has certainly been the case on a few occasions with FS payware. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thanks, Stephen! It's refreshing to get a concise review comparing FSX to Prepar3d with identical scenery and aircraft and presented with an unbiased view.

HelloAnd still no Avsim forum for what is potentially the most exciting development in Flight Simulation today.The Avsim management seem at a loss as to what to do about this non Microsoft simulation.
Perhaps the Avsim management is concerned about having a forum for a commercial flight simulator; especially in view of the fact that John Nicol, of Lockheed Martin, has invited people that have problems or concerns to address them directly at the Lockheed Martin Prepar3d forum.
Yes, and thanks for pointing it out.We'll keep you in the loop as soon as we'll take a decision. (BTW, nothing to do with Microsoft.. blink.png )

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Some of you guys are REALLY making a mountain out of a mole hill with the P3D EULA as far as who can buy or use it.
Better to make that mountain now and get it over and done with as opposed to bumping up against it sometime in the future when your investment in P3D could be significantly higher. And don't forget that developers and publishers will also want these EULA uncertainties cleared up long before they invest anything in P3D for non-professional purposes.

Konrad

Not being an attorney, this discussion concerning the EULA has me confused.(My wife would tell you that it's not an uncommon occurrence!) Who's EULA is potentially being violated? Microsoft's or Lockheed\Martin? If it's Lockheed\Martin, aren't they to some extent, actively courting the flightsim community on this forum and their own? Or, at least, one of their representatives is.

NAX669.png

Not being an attorney, this discussion concerning the EULA has me confused.(My wife would tell you that it's not an uncommon occurrence!) Who's EULA is potentially being violated? Microsoft's or Lockheed\Martin? If it's Lockheed\Martin, aren't they to some extent, actively courting the flightsim community on this forum and their own? Or, at least, one of their representatives is.
Microsoft isn't involved in any way with Prepar3d (as far as I know). The EULA for Prepar3D would be between a customer and Lockheed Martin Corporation. What the EULA states is that Prepar3d is: only for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment.

Anyone had a chance to try any of the Accusim stuff in P3D? I see a mention of the A2A Cub which apparently runs fine but what about some of the more complex stuff like the B-17, P-47, Spitfire? Am also curious about the Turbine Duke, the Katana4X and the Lotus? edit: seeing as were getting into the RXP compatible stuff I read somewhere that there are issues with some things not working. To add to this my understanding is that only the commercial/cross-something-or-other version of RXP can currently be used with P3D. Perhaps it will stay that way making an already expensive product even more so but hey, if that is the case then so be it as we cannot, and indeed should not, expect that all developers will come to the P3D non-pro party with simmer friendly cross pricing strategies. Like most of us who already use it could not afford the commercial RXP licence anyway...

Konrad

It would be interesting to know if you would be breaking the A2A Simulations EULA by running it on Prepar3d. I know that Orbx states that you would be breaking their EULA by installing any of the products they released for FSX on Prepar3d.

Indeed. I skimmed through the A2A forums but did not see anything P3D related. Only a matter of time I guess...

Konrad

Yes, and thanks for pointing it out.We'll keep you in the loop as soon as we'll take a decision. (BTW, nothing to do with Microsoft.. blink.png )
Thank you David. You are a gentleman and a scholar! Kind regards,

Off Topic @ohsirus - LOVE your Avatar of the Phoenix from G-Force! It was my favorite cartoon as a kid! I built one out of Lego and "transmuted" it into the fiery Phoenix by setting it on fire - got a spanking and grounded for two weeks for burning a hole in the living room rug! Whistle.gif

Anyone had a chance to try any of the Accusim stuff in P3D? I see a mention of the A2A Cub which apparently runs fine but what about some of the more complex stuff like the B-17, P-47, Spitfire?
Here is the A2A B-17G Flying Fortress with AccuSim in Prepar3D, with REX clouds and REX real world weather download (you have to port the B-17 over from an FSX install, since it won't install directly into P3D, and copy the B-17 effects and the A2A folder, but this is simple enough. REX will install directly into P3D though and the REX weather engine works fine with it too). As you can see from screenshot 3, AccuSim is working: 2011-9-25_17-44-42-385.jpg2011-9-25_17-40-4-271.jpg2011-9-25_17-35-30-943.jpg2011-9-25_17-30-43-153.jpg Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here