Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nillefix

Ooh I got to have this!

Haven't been simulator flying since 2009. Got to get me a new computer and buy this plane! Looks awesome.Have the 747 for FS 9 and the old 737.Ok, time to sell one of the guitars!Cheers!NiclasStockholm, Sweden

Cool, need to sell one of the amps too.laugh.pngAny advise processor, ram, graphic card-vise?planning on running a few addon airports maybe ultimate traffic, active sky and radar contact.Niclas

nVidia is recommended for FSX, although watch out for the cards with huge amounts of RAM (search for threads on this).The i5 is a good CPU (as FSX doesn't use HT) or the i7 if within budget4GB of RAM is OK or 8GB if within budget.I run all the addons you've listed on my rig although I could use a faster CPU when money is available as I like HQ graphics.

If you're not in a desperate rush I'd wait a bit till the ivy bridge processors are out. Sandy bridge is the current fsx king, but ib should be even better.

What seems to be getting consistently good results is an oc´ed i5 2500k on a mobo with the Intel p67 or z68 chipset, 8gb at leats of ram, Nvidia GTX570 or above and a good PSU and cooling system to top it off. a 64 bit OS is mandatory to get the best out of your ram. . Pricey, I know, but it´s what will get the job done. As for radar contact and ultimate traffic, I only fly online so wouldn´t be able to tell you. But once you start flying online with Vatsim and Ivao on a busy day you´ll never want anything else.

If you can't wait for Ivy Bridge then my sig is a rough guide IMHO, but if only using for FSX, go 2500k.I could be wrong here but even if you decided next year, you would rather Ivy Bridge, i think your motherboard would still be good.If i'm wrong i'm sure you will hear shortly.Regards,

If you can't wait for Ivy Bridge then my sig is a rough guide IMHO, but if only using for FSX, go 2500k.I could be wrong here but even if you decided next year, you would rather Ivy Bridge, i think your motherboard would still be good.If i'm wrong i'm sure you will hear shortly.Regards,
I've been hearing that it won't support cougar point (p67/h67/z68) chipsets. A new panther point chipset will be required for ivy bridge.

I've been hearing that it won't support cougar point (p67/h67/z68) chipsets. A new panther point chipset will be required for ivy bridge.
Excuse my ignorance here Ken. Could you enlarge regarding couger point.

Excuse my ignorance here Ken. Could you enlarge regarding couger point.
Cougar Point is the codename of a PCH in Intel 6 Series chipsets for mobile and desktop (and possibly later workstation/server) platforms. It is most closely associated with Sandy Bridge processors.This has the following variations:BD82C202 (PCH C202) ServerBD82C204 (PCH C204) ServerBD82C206 (PCH C206) Workstation / ServerBD82P67 (PCH P67) Desktop BaseBD82H67 (PCH H67) Desktop HomeBD82H61 (PCH H61) Desktop HomeBD82Z68 (PCH Z68) Combined desktop base and homeBD82B65 (PCH B65) Desktop OfficeBD82Q67 (PCH Q67) Desktop OfficeBD82HM65 (PCH HM65) Mobile HomeBD82HM67 (PCH HM67) Mobile HomeBD82QM67 (PCH QM67) Mobile OfficeBD82QS67 (PCH QS67) Mobile SFFBD82UM67 (PCH UM67) Ultra Mobile
According to Intel roadmaps,[5] the next PCH to replace Cougar Point will be Panther Point and will be paired with Ivy Bridge processors. This chipset will have integrated USB 3.0[6]
Edit: At one time there was a rumor that ib would work with cougar point after a bios update, but I really doubt that happens.

Sorry to go a littlw off-topic here, but I have been reading some terrible reviews on amazon regarding Asus mobos with the p67 chipset. Is it really that bad?

Thanks for clearing that up Ken. I guess i won't be quite so impatiant when Ivy Bridge comes out then.Regards,

Sorry to go a littlw off-topic here, but I have been reading some terrible reviews on amazon regarding Asus mobos with the p67 chipset. Is it really that bad?
Shortly after release there was a recall on p67 boards due to the 6gb sata controller receiving too much voltage causing them to fail over time. It's a non-issue now. Even at the time however, 3gb sata ports were unaffected & most boards had 4 of them so one could just avoid the 6gb ports & be fine.

I have a P67 Asus board (my previous sig was incorrect) and i have had no issues at all. I would also highly recommend it for users like me who are relatively new to OCing. It realy makes it easy.

HelloIvy bridge will be fine on a recent P67 or Z68 board.In fact my Asus Sabertooth P67 already has a bios released to support Ivybridge but not PCI-3http://event.asus.com/2011/mb/PCIe3_Ready/

HelloIvy bridge will be fine on a recent P67 or Z68 board.In fact my Asus Sabertooth P67 already has a bios released to support Ivybridge but not PCI-3http://event.asus.com/2011/mb/PCIe3_Ready/
I stand corrected :)

This got way too technical for me.I was think maybe along these lines;Intel® Core™ i7-2600 3,4GHz Intel H67 Chipset10 GB RAMNVIDIA GeForce GTX 550Ti 1GBIs this sufficient?Niclas

This got way too technical for me.I was think maybe along these lines;Intel® Core™ i7-2600 3,4GHz Intel H67 Chipset10 GB RAMNVIDIA GeForce GTX 550Ti 1GBIs this sufficient?Niclas
Close, but no!CPU: whether you choose the i5 or i7, make sure it has the "k" suffix, ie 2500kMotherboard: h67's are not overclock friendly. Need p67 or z68.Memory: more than 6-8gb is overkill.Edit: i also apologize for diverting the topic

Absolutley!....but get the 570 GTX instead (cheaper than 580GTX which I have) and a MSI board such as P67 GD80 B3.Also when everything is finished...installed FSX and such, then OC it to a least 4,2 GHZ and even more (4.8) ifyou have a good CPU cooler./ Leffe

Leffe, you got to be swedish! =)I was thinking of buying a prebuilt computer from one of the chains so I don't get the headache of configure everything and tweaking all the time.Since this topic I realise my budget is a little short.Niclas

GTX560ti is plenty of gpu for fsx, that'll save a lot of money over a 570/80/90.The i5 2500k also costs significantly less than the 2600k & you won't see any difference.Memory is also cheap since you don't need a super-low latency, 7 or 9 is plenty good for sandy bridge systems.There are lots of ways to save money on a new pc as long as you choose the parts carefully.

Is this sufficient then;

• Corsair Obsidian 650D Midi Tower Svart
  • Corsair TX V2 650W PSU
  • MSI P67A-G45 B3, Socket-1155
  • Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor
  • Kingston ValueR. DDR3 1333MHz 8GB, CL9
  • ZOTAC GeForce GTX 570 1280MB PhysX CUDA
  • Corsair SSD Force Series™ 3, 90GB
  • Seagate Barracuda® 7200.12 1TB
  • Sony Optiarc DVD±RW Writer, AD-5280S
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Niclas

Leffe, you got to be swedish! =)I was thinking of buying a prebuilt computer from one of the chains so I don't get the headache of configure everything and tweaking all the time.Since this topic I realise my budget is a little short.Niclas
The i5 2500K is the best and cheapest way to go if you only are simming in FS.But I would nevertheless choose an i7 2600K, if you are into other games such as Battlefield 3 etc. I7 have Hyperthreading whichis better than without for a game like that.Also other games rely more on the GPU....so a good GPU isn´t bad in that case./ Leffe
Is this sufficient then;
  • Corsair Obsidian 650D Midi Tower Svart
  • Corsair TX V2 650W PSU
  • MSI P67A-G45 B3, Socket-1155
  • Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor
  • Kingston ValueR. DDR3 1333MHz 8GB, CL9
  • ZOTAC GeForce GTX 570 1280MB PhysX CUDA
  • Corsair SSD Force Series™ 3, 90GB
  • Seagate Barracuda® 7200.12 1TB
  • Sony Optiarc DVD±RW Writer, AD-5280S
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Niclas

Not bad at all...BUT get at least a 750 or 850 PSU!Use Corsairs site to decide the PSU. They have a tool you can fill in with diffr hardwareand then you can see, what size of PSU is recommended./ Leffe

PSU is fine for a single gpu system.List looks good to me. The only thing I'd ask about is to make sure the memory is 1.65v or less.