Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

What do YOU want to see in SP2?

That's the thing though. HIRED/-20 plus the 26 miles to Toledo from HIRED gives me 46 miles. And that's where the controllers are expecting you to cross at 11,000. Not the TOL/305/46 (315 would be the exact radial for Northwest) or whatever. The "cross 46 miles northwest of Toledo @ 11000" does not void your flight plan. You are not cleared direct to Toledo in the clearance. You are simply crossing a point that is 46 miles from Toledo on your flight plan route. This is how it works in the real world.I think you are confused about the direction that is given in the clearence. This is only given to tell you which side of the fix to hit your crossing restriction. Northwest means if you're coming from a Northwesterly direction, cross on the same side that you are coming from. If you are coming from a Northwesterly direction and they say cross 25 miles Southeast of the VOR @ 11,000, then the place you want to cross at is on the other side of the VOR.Here's another real world example that I experienced recently. I was going into IND and this was our filed route: ILLIE V96 FWA.CLANG5 (available here: http://dtpp.myairpla.../00203CLANG.PDF)Overtop of WGNER we received this clearance:7"Citation 123, at pilots discretion, descend to cross 20 miles Northeast of the PENDS intersection at 9,000"So, we put in the FMS "MIE/-3" because that would give us 20 miles from PENDS (17 nm from PENDS to MIE, then an addition 3 from MIE to make 20 miles total) AND it would allow us to stay on the arrival. If we put in a of PENDS045/20 (045 for Northeast) then it would take us off of the arrival, at which point ATC would be asking if we were still planning on heading into IND.I fired up the NGX and I put both of our ideas in. For me, MIE/-3 and for you PENDS045/20.As you can see, your 045 at 20 miles (where the green dashed radial line intercepts the 20 mile dashed arc) is well to the west of the course that we need for the CLANG5 arrival. If you do MIE/-3 that will give you the 20 miles (flown/flight plan distance, not straight line distance) you need to cross to get to 20 northeast of PENDS at 11,000 ft.Just for grins, let's do the original example as well:"Airliner 123, cross 46 miles northwest of Toledo at 11,0000"Now, once again. As you can see, your 305/46 off of TOL is well to the west of where our flight plan and ATC intends us to go. HIR04 is HIRED/-20 and keeps us on our flight plan route. Once again, this is flown or flight plan distance and not straight line distance.I think you're getting confused with the direction in the clearance. It's just there to tell you which side of the fix in the clearance to cross at the altitude restriction.
I know we are off topic, but I think this stuff is interesting. Dan, you sound like you have RW experiance of this, but are you really saying that it is normal for ATC to give 'wrong' instructions as per your examples? If I was airborne and my transmitter was dead, but I heard "Airliner 123, cross 46 miles northwest of Toledo at 11,0000" - I would know that to be 46 miles north west of Toledo at 11,000 feet would be a bad idea, but if I was north, north west, then I would be fine. Imagine my surprise then at bumping into you there. The original instruction "Airliner 123, cross 46 miles northwest of Toledo at 11,0000" accuratly describes a point in space. It is not dependent on your flight path and is a perfectly valid instruction even to an aircraft with no IFR instruments and is one which can be correctly understood by anybody with no knowledge of your filed plan. How then would it be safe to think something like "what the controller really wanted me to do is..."? If that is what they really wanted, they should ask you to do that with an instruction such as; "Airliner 123, Cross at 11,000 ft twenty miles before HIRED on your filed flight plan".

Ability to pause simulation during the NGX initialization so saved flights can stabilize more easily. Would be most helpful starting saved flights during descent and approach.
+2

Mathieu Souphy

The option to have a panel state that throws a few random switches on loading to make sure you follow those checklists properly.
+1Guillaume

------------------

Guillaume CHARRIER

-Quicker stabilizing of the engines after advancing the levers to 40% (saw on many videos that the acceleration from about 30% to 40% happens much faster than modeled in the NGX)-The ability to make more than 90° turn when pushing back-The ability to program an Engine Fire before, at or above V1-Transponder with AUTO-Mode and/or number keys-Transponder control linked to Squawkbox/FsInn (that worked in FS9, why it doesn´t work in FSX?)-Thrust Mode Annunciation "R-TO" or "R-CLB" instead of "D-TO" or "CLB1", when configuring an aircraft without double derate, as stated in the manual

+1I enjoy FS2Crew for the J41, but it doesn't even compare to having an actual human in the virtual pit next to you in a multiCrew environment.Take all the manuals, documents and systems fidelity and it still does not give you a close representation of what it's like to operate a 73 unless you are sharing and cross checking responsabilities with another pilot. The entire layout of modern cockpits are designed with the flight crew (multiple crew members) in mind. It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, aircraft with mgw 12500lbs or more and or being powered by turbine engines, require the PIC to have a type rating and Minimum flight deck crew is two. I really hope PMDG can write their magic and pull off MultiCrew. It would launch this addon into Flight Sim ecstasy.JB

simflight.com review about the external model"...However, when you don’t zoom in, and keep the entire aircraft in view, you lose all that detail, and end up with an aircraft that looks dull and ‘plastic’. The reason for this is that PMDG didn’t make full use of FSX’s texture capabilities...."it could be nice if in the next SP2...blablabla

I know we are off topic, but I think this stuff is interesting. Dan, you sound like you have RW experiance of this, but are you really saying that it is normal for ATC to give 'wrong' instructions as per your examples? If I was airborne and my transmitter was dead, but I heard "Airliner 123, cross 46 miles northwest of Toledo at 11,0000" - I would know that to be 46 miles north west of Toledo at 11,000 feet would be a bad idea, but if I was north, north west, then I would be fine. Imagine my surprise then at bumping into you there. The original instruction "Airliner 123, cross 46 miles northwest of Toledo at 11,0000" accuratly describes a point in space. It is not dependent on your flight path and is a perfectly valid instruction even to an aircraft with no IFR instruments and is one which can be correctly understood by anybody with no knowledge of your filed plan. How then would it be safe to think something like "what the controller really wanted me to do is..."? If that is what they really wanted, they should ask you to do that with an instruction such as; "Airliner 123, Cross at 11,000 ft twenty miles before HIRED on your filed flight plan".
I do have plenty of real world experience in this. We get this going back into Toledo all the the time from Chicago Center and Cleveland Center. And it's not "wrong" at all. It's legal, perfectly legit and it's exactly what they're expecting to you. I'm really having a hard time explaining this for the third time, but I'll try.Why are you saying that it is wrong? I'm curious as to what your source of information is that is telling you that I'm wrong and the controllers of Chicago and Cleveland Center are all wrong?Where in the instructions "Cross 46 miles Northwest of Toledo at 11,000" does it say to proceed direct to the Toledo Airport 315 radial 46 mile fix? It doesn't, but I'll play along. What are you going to do after you reach the 315 46 mile fix? Now your clearance limit has changed. What are you going to do if you lose comms on your way to that fix? You never received a "you are now cleared to Toledo via...." clearance. Basically, according to your example the new clearance limit is the Toledo 315 radial 46 mile fix. That's great, so how do you get to Toledo now? Toledo is still 46 miles away. And what about HIRED? Can you just completely omit that portion of the flight plan? You can't just go and deviate from your flight plan without the words CLEARED in the new instructions. In this instruction ("Airliner 123, cross 46 miles northwest of Toledo at 11,0000") the word "cleared" is not anywhere in the flight plan.If that was the case (that they want to to proceed to the Toledo Airport 315 radial 46 mile fix). They would say "Airliner 123, you are now cleared to Toledo via present position direct to the Toledo 315 radial 46 mile fix (can't legally do that because Toledo is not a VOR, it's the airport). CROSS 46 miles northwest of Toledo at and maintain 11,000" But that's not what they say.Like I said before, you're getting hung up on the direction in the clearence. Here's why I say this. When I first started flying into/out of Toledo, I got this clearance for the first time and I was pretty dumbfounded by it. Like you, I was thrown off by the cardinal direction that is in the instructions. Fortunately, I was flying with a guy at the time who had heard this multiple times.If it was said this way:"Airliner 123, cross 46 miles from Toledo at 11,000"Okay, so 46 miles from Toledo at 11,000. Well theres two places that I could be at 46 miles from Toledo. On the Northwest side (since I am coming in from a Northwesterly direction) and the Southeast side. To alleviate the confusion there, the FAA added the direction from the fix of intended crossing to make you aware on which side to cross the fix at the altitude. Since they want us to cross Northwest of Toledo (the side closest to us) at 11,000, they added the direction of the clearance.What do you think of my example in Indianapolis that I posted with the CLANG5 arrival? That's the exact same situation.All this aside, how do you KNOW that 315 is the radial that they want you on? Northwest could be anything from 271-359. So at this point you're guessing. What if you choose the 315 radial and they want you on the 340 radial? That's not practical, it's confusing and that is exactly why the direction in the clearance is SOLELY meant to identify which side of the fix of which the controller intends you to cross. Nothing more, nothing less. Basically, you're over complicating the clearance. Over thinking it.Here is the specific phraseology from the FAA 7110.65:
specified altitude for crossing a distance (in miles) and direction from a specified fix or waypoint. CROSS (number of miles) MILES (direction) OF (name of fix, waypoint) AT (altitude).CROSS (number of miles) MILES (direction) OF (name of fix, waypoint) AT OR ABOVE/BELOW (altitude).
Furthermore, that is not an acceptable clearance to give to a VFR aircraft because:-they don't have to be talking to anyone in the first place-how do you know that said VFR pilot can identify "northwest at 46 miles?" Once again, northwest can be anywhere from 271-359. They're not required to carry any sort of navigation equipment on board. Not even charts. So now you gave a clearance to a VFR pilot who can't tell 46 miles from 60 miles (because all he has is the Mark I eyeball). Not practical.Your confusion on this is kind of like my confusion on holding clearances. Sometimes I have to sit back, think about it and de-complicate it. A hold clearance can be something like this:"Airliner 123, proceed direct to Allentown, hold Southeast on the 135 degree radial, right turns, one minute legs"For me, I'd hear the Southeast part and get confused. I try to pay as little attention to the direction as I can and break down the clearance.So, we'd proceed direct to the VOR, hold on the 135 degree radial in the southeast quadrant of the station. Okay, so, on the inbound leg to the VOR we would set the reciprocal of 135, so 315. This always confused me, but once I read more into it and stepped back it made more sense.

F/O: flap position, spoilers(touchdown), & gear up/down callouts.
Would be really nice!! The 737 is a multi-crew airplane.I always feel a bit lonely in the cockpit... despite I like beeing the Captain on board !!

Yvan PERO - LH450

YvanPERO.png

Virtual Push-back Tug. During push back of the aircraft, you can actually steer a tug through a 'Virtual Cabin' setup. Picture this 'sitting in the tug looking at the nose of the aircraft and the tow bar through the front window steering the tug and controlling distance and direction of where you want the aircraft'. Also have an external view of the tug pushing the aircraft and maybe animated ground crew during the entire connect and disconnect phases of the push-back. Just a thought! Regards Darren.

Regards

Darren Harband

I do have plenty of real world experience in this. We get this going back into Toledo all the the time from Chicago Center and Cleveland Center. And it's not "wrong" at all. It's legal, perfectly legit and it's exactly what they're expecting to you. I'm really having a hard time explaining this for the third time, but I'll try.Why are you saying that it is wrong? I'm curious as to what your source of information is that is telling you that I'm wrong and the controllers of Chicago and Cleveland Center are all wrong?Where in the instructions "Cross 46 miles Northwest of Toledo at 11,000" does it say to proceed direct to the Toledo Airport 315 radial 46 mile fix? It doesn't, but I'll play along. What are you going to do after you reach the 315 46 mile fix? Now your clearance limit has changed. What are you going to do if you lose comms on your way to that fix? You never received a "you are now cleared to Toledo via...." clearance. Basically, according to your example the new clearance limit is the Toledo 315 radial 46 mile fix. That's great, so how do you get to Toledo now? Toledo is still 46 miles away. And what about HIRED? Can you just completely omit that portion of the flight plan? You can't just go and deviate from your flight plan without the words CLEARED in the new instructions. In this instruction ("Airliner 123, cross 46 miles northwest of Toledo at 11,0000") the word "cleared" is not anywhere in the flight plan.If that was the case (that they want to to proceed to the Toledo Airport 315 radial 46 mile fix). They would say "Airliner 123, you are now cleared to Toledo via present position direct to the Toledo 315 radial 46 mile fix (can't legally do that because Toledo is not a VOR, it's the airport). CROSS 46 miles northwest of Toledo at and maintain 11,000" But that's not what they say.Like I said before, you're getting hung up on the direction in the clearence. Here's why I say this. When I first started flying into/out of Toledo, I got this clearance for the first time and I was pretty dumbfounded by it. Like you, I was thrown off by the cardinal direction that is in the instructions. Fortunately, I was flying with a guy at the time who had heard this multiple times.If it was said this way:"Airliner 123, cross 46 miles from Toledo at 11,000"Okay, so 46 miles from Toledo at 11,000. Well theres two places that I could be at 46 miles from Toledo. On the Northwest side (since I am coming in from a Northwesterly direction) and the Southeast side. To alleviate the confusion there, the FAA added the direction from the fix of intended crossing to make you aware on which side to cross the fix at the altitude. Since they want us to cross Northwest of Toledo (the side closest to us) at 11,000, they added the direction of the clearance.What do you think of my example in Indianapolis that I posted with the CLANG5 arrival? That's the exact same situation.All this aside, how do you KNOW that 315 is the radial that they want you on? Northwest could be anything from 271-359. So at this point you're guessing. What if you choose the 315 radial and they want you on the 340 radial? That's not practical, it's confusing and that is exactly why the direction in the clearance is SOLELY meant to identify which side of the fix of which the controller intends you to cross. Nothing more, nothing less. Basically, you're over complicating the clearance. Over thinking it.Here is the specific phraseology from the FAA 7110.65:[/i][/font]Furthermore, that is not an acceptable clearance to give to a VFR aircraft because:-they don't have to be talking to anyone in the first place-how do you know that said VFR pilot can identify "northwest at 46 miles?" Once again, northwest can be anywhere from 271-359. They're not required to carry any sort of navigation equipment on board. Not even charts. So now you gave a clearance to a VFR pilot who can't tell 46 miles from 60 miles (because all he has is the Mark I eyeball). Not practical.Your confusion on this is kind of like my confusion on holding clearances. Sometimes I have to sit back, think about it and de-complicate it. A hold clearance can be something like this:"Airliner 123, proceed direct to Allentown, hold Southeast on the 135 degree radial, right turns, one minute legs"For me, I'd hear the Southeast part and get confused. I try to pay as little attention to the direction as I can and break down the clearance.So, we'd proceed direct to the VOR, hold on the 135 degree radial in the southeast quadrant of the station. Okay, so, on the inbound leg to the VOR we would set the reciprocal of 135, so 315. This always confused me, but once I read more into it and stepped back it made more sense.
I may be slow, but I usually get there in the end :) So what we are basically saying is that with the instruction "Airliner 123, cross 46 miles northwest of Toledo at 11,0000", the controller is not asking the plane to be at a point in space, rather, they are asking the airliner to be at 11,000 feet when his flight plan is 46 miles northwest(ish) of Tuledo?

Working manual gear extension. Better pushback.Precipitation effect on windshield would be good.But really this is already by far the best commercial simulation ever!

I would like to be able to see passengers in the cabin from an external view, and lights on in the cockpit from an external view. Makes for great night screenies.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

I would like to be able to see passengers in the cabin from an external view, and lights on in the cockpit from an external view. Makes for great night screenies.
The NGX has lights in the cockpit from an external view.It even has a whole CDU options section dedicated to this.FS Actions.......................Cabin Lights.Into Manual page 103.Fred.

The NGX has lights in the cockpit from an external view.It even has a whole CDU options section dedicated to this.FS Actions.......................Cabin Lights.Into Manual page 103.Fred.
Fred,I know it has lights in the cabin, but I can't figure out how to get lights that are on in the cockpit to be seen in an external view. I wanted passengers in the cabin and lights in the cockpit from an external view.Dennis

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg