Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WebMaximus

The sound of breaking

One sound I think is missing in the NGX is the sound from the brakes when braking hard just after landing. I remember a couple of years ago in FS9 there was a free ground-handling gauge that added this sound and to me that sound when stepping on the pedals added alot to the whole sensation.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Don't worry, it's not the only thing that PMDG missed... oh.. be careful of what you post here in forum, cause thing that you say are missing, they resolve the problem by deleting your posts... they did same thing with me Waiting.gif

I know this is a forum where you for your own good should always choose your words carefully but in this case I hope my post above doesn't seem negative to anyone but rather it was meant more like a question what the rest of you guys think or if I'm the only one missing this sound. Or maybe it was decided to leave this sound out since you not always hear it in the real aircraft, maybe it has to do with the wear of the brakes on each specific aircraft together with the brake force applied.

Don't worry, it's not the only thing that PMDG missed... oh.. be careful of what you post here in forum, cause thing that you say are missing, they resolve the problem by deleting your posts... they did same thing with me Waiting.gif
can u back up this usually they delete post with out names to them and beside they will always tell you why they deleted your post

Get over yourself. YOur post is there. Use search and you will find it. Oh wait thats too hard for most people.

Richard,They were not included for two reasons:1) The nose gear does not have brakes so it is unlikely you hear the brakes too much from the cockpit.2) Have a think about how complex making a main gear brake sound would be - after all it would sound useless if the brake sound plays when you just press the brakes. Factors like braking force, speed of aircraft, brake condition, brake wear and probably other factors all affect the sound of the brakes - maybe if we spent a few weeks of complex programming just for this sound we might achieve it but to be fair that would be a silly amount of work just to hear the brake sound on the wing views!Nice suggestion but its time to move onto the 777 !!!

Artur, hijacking someone else's post with a little rant is not nice! And like so many posts on our forum usually the cause is "user error" !!! hehehe.

Forgive me for saying but don't you think that is very harsh Artur?!. After all the hard work these guys have done for us simmers.. Ummmmmm Like Ryan & Rob say atitude don't get anyone anywhere..No offence my friend Steve

The real question is, do real pilots hear the heavy braking sounds ?If yes, that's a very minor missing and it could eventually be added, if not I see no needing to have it.

Richard,They were not included for two reasons:1) The nose gear does not have brakes so it is unlikely you hear the brakes too much from the cockpit.2) Have a think about how complex making a main gear brake sound would be - after all it would sound useless if the brake sound plays when you just press the brakes. Factors like braking force, speed of aircraft, brake condition, brake wear and probably other factors all affect the sound of the brakes - maybe if we spent a few weeks of complex programming just for this sound we might achieve it but to be fair that would be a silly amount of work just to hear the brake sound on the wing views!Nice suggestion but its time to move onto the 777 !!!
Thanks alot for your reply Armen and for your explanation behind your decision not to include this sound, it all make sense. Actually I was already thinking of what you mention that the sound if implemented should actually be different depending on a number of factors but thought I start with simply asking about the sound itself before asking for even more :( And like someone else also said, if the sound in fact never is heard when you're up front inside the cockpit IRL it's actually a good thing you didn't include the sound :(

The way you behave on this forum, I am surprised you have not been deleted. Behave yourself.

fsPassengers includes that sound- i agree though its probably more of what you would hear in the cabin than on flt deck.

sigh...

Hey, i can tell you by real experience from boeing 757 cockpit in ELAL there was NO braking sound, and i asked the pilot why, because i once saw a boeing 767 at youtube that did a little bit braking noise, and he told me that it happened in particularly times, hope it helped, DanielBTW i am not sure if you meant braking or breaking, but hope i helped Angel.gif

No they didn't you just couldn't find your post

The reason for the second post was a misunderstanding that occurred in another thread:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/353341-the-policy-of-deleting-inconvenient-topic/Mistake was made. Issue dealt with. I'm no mod, but back to brakes:I can't even hear the brakes on the Cessnas I currently fly. I haven't flown commercially in a good while, but all I can remember is the massive sound of the reversers. I can't recall any brake noise.I think a lot of the time, too many developers add extra things that they assume add to the experience without any hard backing to the fact that it does or doesn't. As a result, the sim community thinks certain things are the truth, when in fact they aren't.

I dont mean to hijack this thread but my question is relaated to the sound of the NGX as well. from release time to now i found that the sound the engines make during a run up during taxi has changed. the subtle difference and how to describe the sound is quite hard , but when i now had the NGX the sound during run ups was 99% close to what you hear in the cockpit in RW. During the spool up you can hear the increase in the whine and at about 40%n1 you can hear a stifled engine sound as it gets quiet and then the trust is reduced. this is what is heard In RW and the NGX but lately in my NGX it doesnt sound the way it used to ( not as real as before) my FSX sliders has always been set to 50% all and i havent changed the sound settings in the NGX via the in flight interface. I also havent changed my view , im refering only to the FD. Any ideas or help?

Oups...of course I meant braking and not breaking :wink:I'm sure some addon developers add stuff that they think will add to the sensation of "realism" but in this case reason I asked about the sound from the brakes was that I actually heard that sound many times myself IRL but like has been said of course there's a difference depending on if you're in the cabin or in the cockpit and unfortunately I'm always in the cabin IRL although I would love to be upfront instead :(

I actually love the sound of the NGX, the landing thumps, and rattle of stuff while taxiing (among many others) is the best I've ever heard.

The way you behave on this forum, I am surprised you have not been deleted. Behave yourself.
Actually he seems very familiar to me, like he was previously banned using another user name.Jimmy Burke

<irony>and while we're at it, where is the sound of that child screaming during descent, because his/her ear drums are about to explode?</irony>Seriously, the sound package on this is one of the best I have ever heard for an addon. The fact that certain sounds are not audible is quite simply because they are not audible in the real NG cockpit. Just because you might hear something related to braking in seat 12A doesn't necessarily imply that it is going to be heard up front. Great sounds for a great package. You get my vote for best commercial aircraft addon, regardless whose competition it is. Andrew

Thanks. I got bored at work and decided to re-teach myself a little Photoshop, and happened to be in a snarky mood because someone accused me of being one.

Hi All, I would imagine that the distance between the cockpit and the wing area where the noise of braking and reverse thrust occurs would be hardly audible as the sounds are travelling away from the cockpit and I think this is bourne out if you watch aircraft DVDs at the landing stage you hear very little in the cockpit, hence the ommision from PMDG, richard welsh.