Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Microsoft FLIGHT News

I get a kick out of the NDA each time a new release of FS comes around. They hold a publicity event for FS community members, "but sorry, can't tell anyone about what you saw until we decide what we told you isn't secret anymore". Meh. Just strikes me as silly.No, I'm not a Microsoft hater, or doom and gloomer spreading rumors about Hawaii only, or it's a 10GB rather that 14GB install, so it can't be world wide (There have been serious advances in file systems, image file size reduction etc, so the 4GB likely means nothing).Just a bit tired of the 'annual' secrecy game.

Looking forward to it Tom. I hope it's all good news. I don't like to speculate, but I must say that from what has been released so far, I'm very disappointed.
Other than the fact that they've been quiet about features, etc, the graphics look pretty darn good. What's to be disappointed about? We've heard nothing that the sim engine is dumbed down (Calling it a game doesn't mean it won't still be realistic, it's usually done to suck in non-simmers to try something). The coverage hasn't been reported on at all, so I'd assume it covers the world like the previous editions.

Microsoft invited a select group of community organizations to Redmond, Washington, for a preview and discussion regarding Microsoft's soon to be released FLIGHT simulator. The meeting and hand's on sessions took place this last Tuesday, December 13th. AVSIM was represented by Tom Allensworth, Publisher, and Robert Whitwell, Reviews Editor. This meeting was held under the auspices of a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) which all participants are covered by. In this meeting Microsoft shared confidential information and access to the FLIGHT game. Microsoft has indicated that some restrictions imposed by the NDA will be removed during the first week of January. To the extent that we are able and willing to do so, AVSIM will report on those aspects of FLIGHT allowed by those reduced restrictions. Please stay tuned. More to follow...
Yes, thanks for all the info on the NDA...

Haha nice, soon my speculation about it being Hawaii only will prove to be correct and Jskorna loses some money

I have to say that announcing that some people in the community now know more than the rest of us, but not allowing them to say even one new thing about what they saw is rather ridiculous. At the very least MS should have allowed the confirmation of ONE of the things that is being speculated about.This is non-news and makes absolutely no difference to how things stand. For all we know, they saw nothing.

With all due respect, I'm not quite sure how telling us that you've been allowed into a secret circle to view FLIGHT is supposed to make us feel?wouldnt it have made more sense to simply drop the info in January when the NDA allows.This comes across a little as 'bait' to fuel even more useless speculation, unless I've completely got the wrong end of the stick here.

The first real news about Flight. Great stuffTea alround!

The first real news about Flight is that there will be no news! How ironic is that? smile.png

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

With all due respect, I'm not quite sure how telling us that you've been allowed into a secret circle to view FLIGHT is supposed to make us feel?wouldnt it have made more sense to simply drop the info in January when the NDA allows.This comes across a little as 'bait' to fuel even more useless speculation, unless I've completely got the wrong end of the stick here.
I was thinking along the same lines. Still, it puts AVSIM in good standing amongst the realm of similar sites and a lot of credit must go to Tom & Co, as AVSIM clearly falls within the radar of MS which probaly means they do read many of these posts. Anyway, whatever answers are available to 100's of questions being asked will undoubtably raise a further 1000 questons. Our thirst for information will never be satisfied until the product is in our hands.

If we read between the lines, it is certainly great news, in the sense that MF won't be done under the worst case scenario that some people have predicted. : i.e. XBoxI don't think that Mr. Allensworth and company would take the time to announce something that is not good for simmers.Personnaly, i see great thing coming!Sorry for my english.Ben

I know already. It comes bundled with Windows 8 on the same game menu as solitaire and minesweep

Haha nice, soon my speculation about it being Hawaii only will prove to be correct and Jskorna loses some money
Yuk, yuk, yuk. No you won't and no I won't.

With all due respect, I'm not quite sure how telling us that you've been allowed into a secret circle to view FLIGHT is supposed to make us feel? wouldnt it have made more sense to simply drop the info in January when the NDA allows.
I was thinking along the same lines. Still, it puts AVSIM in good standing and a lot of credit must go to Tom & Co as AVSIM clearly falls within the radar of MS which probaly means they do read many of these posts. Anyway, having the answers is not such a big thing as it only raises a further 100 questions.
Keep in mind that this was a press visit to Microsoft, specifically to see Flight. Nels Anderson (flightsim.com) has posted up nearly the same exact message that Tom did, and I am sure the other forum/Internet folks who were invited are doing the same thing. It's a marketing tool designed to keep you tuned in to this site (*or the others who were also in attendance).Although some might feel that such "news" is baiting, look at it this way: It's nearly guaranteed that we'll get some far more USEFUL information next month. That's far better than the baiting that Microsoft themselves have been doing for the past year or so with their tidbits of trivia and screenshots with no info as to what and when we'll hear from them next. -Greg

The very fact that MS invited this select group of "press folks" also implies that "Flight" will continue to provide them a continued "raison d'etre" as well...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Just a bit tired of the 'annual' secrecy game.
But it's an annual tradition!Kinda like waiting for Santa Claus. Or waiting to see who the next American Idol will be... "right after these words from our sponsor."Savor the moment !! smile.png

Well SInce they did invite the true Flightsim press and didn't just restrict it to Gamespot/Ve3d etc, then I have hopes it will be a true successor to FSX , FSXI

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.