Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ArjenVdv

NGX video - landing in St. Maarten

Hi,I thought I'd share a new video of mine with you. A landing in the PMDG 737-800WL NGX, in St. Maarten RWY 10. VORDME approach. REX OverDrive water animation was the REX OverDrive "Orderly" theme. All my hardware specs can be found right here in my signature. I also just ordered my new EVGA GTX 560TI-448. Hope you like my video!I get around 30 fps normally. But when using fraps the fps frop to around 18-20, and also causes many stutters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz8sili7RIw

Very nice, Arjen. Maybe next time how's about taking a left about 20 miles south of that approach, and do a video landing the NGX at SABA! :(

Hey Arjen,How do you get your reversers to kick in before the nosewheel hits? Mine won't do it. Also, I see the flattop has finally sailed.Nice vid. Thanks

very nice laning enjoyed the video like a pro. not KLM if you remember

Hey Arjen,How do you get your reversers to kick in before the nosewheel hits? Mine won't do it. Also, I see the flattop has finally sailed.Nice vid. Thanks
I have set my reverse button of my Saitek throttle quadrant to the "throttle decrease quicky" option in FSX. I also put the repeat bar next to it entirely to the right. In this way, you can engage reverse thrust faster.Thanks for all your comments guys! I think landing was OK, but it could have been a little softer imo! :)

I'm curious as well. On the majority of the videos I've seen, everyone seems to get instant reverse on touchdown with the main gears, and I never never could!I have the latest service pack, and I have the F2 keyboard command mapped to a button on my CH Pro Throttle USB. I thought that PMDG had programmed the reverse to only engage once the N1 is at full ground idle, which takes about 3-4 seconds after main gear touchdown, and that there was no way to engage it any sooner. The hardware throttle is calibrated correctly, using FSX's controls not FSUIPC. And there is a sufficient null zone at the bottom of the travel, so that I get true idle conditions when the thottle is at the bottom stop.This issue with reverse is driving me nuts, it's the only glitch I can think of that exists in my NGX. It's so bad, half the time I don't even bother engaging reverse, since I'm at 100 kts by the time its available and its too late.For realism sake, it's not the end of the world, as most of the airports I fly to are busy hubs with noise abatement procedures in place that prohibit anything more than idle reverse, so I just pretend it's idle reverse for now.I really would like to fix this problem on my end, if it is indeed a problem.

Nice video!!What water is that...is that from rex?
Before asking questions, read my original post, because the answer to your question is in there! :)

I also have a 560TI, but running on a phenom II 955. What resolution are you running at? I can't get 30 FPS consistently.

I also have a 560TI, but running on a phenom II 955. What resolution are you running at? I can't get 30 FPS consistently.
In this video I used a GT 320 1024 MB. Bad graphics card, I ordered my GTX 560TI-448 and I'm expecting it to arrive tomorrow. The reason for my FPS (around 25-30) is my CPU. I have the i5 2500K running at 4.5 GHz. WHat FSX likes, is CPU's that run at very high clockspeeds. If you want to invest in a good CPU, buy the i5 2500K with a good aftermarket cooler, and overclock it. Graphics card will make a difference, but not as much as a good CPU. Also, remember that some settings in FSX can well reduce fps. I have water set to LOW 2X (MAX2X will reduce FPS a lot even when not flying near water), don't use light bloom either, and don't use too high AI traffic settings. The best thing to increase fps is running Bojote's tweaking. This tweaking tool will automaticly tweak your FSX.cfg to the optimum settings. After you did this, simply place it inside C:Users/Your Name/Appdata/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX. The tweaking tool can be found here: www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Very nice to look at and a perfect landing!Thanks for sharing

How do you get your reversers to kick in before the nosewheel hits? Mine won't do it.
Normally when the back wheels touch the Spoilers deploy and then when the Nose Gear comes down you then start reverse thrust. What your seeing is probably this.
Most low-bypass engines with bucket-reversers can be safely deployed in flight without a disaster happening. For high bypass engines with cascade or petal reversers, it's generally a bad thing so it's usually restricted to being on the ground or very close to it (at least on Western aircraft).
It doesn't mean full reverse thrust is happening at that time it just means they are in the deployed position.You can't do this with the descrease thrust option in FSX because once you start it, the reversers deploy and you get full reverse thrust. Also Thrust Reverse is not an instaneous thing. It takes a few seconds for everything to get up to speed. (Thrust Reversers Deploy, and Reverse thrust Starts). By this time your nose wheel is on the ground already anyway.So why would you want to have Reverse thrust before the nose wheel is down? The sudden stopping power of the reversers kicking in at this time would most likely slam the nose wheel into the ground which is not a good thing.

Nice video but one gripe I have is. Why do people always do cockpit and wing views of their landings? This is extremely boring and it does not show any of your skills or even if it was actually a good landing. If you want to do an exciting video forget the inside of the plane do the video from tower view or a custom view on the ground at the airport. Show the entire approach along with the touchdown. Then people can see how you were configured, how far above the runway you started your flare, how hard hard or light your landing was, and whether you landed on the center of the runway or not. :(

hey, nice landing and i'm jealous of your hardware! BTW that isn't the default st maarten airport is it? If not wich one is it?

hey, nice landing and i'm jealous of your hardware! BTW that isn't the default st maarten airport is it? If not wich one is it?
Well, my hardware is on top of the notch except for my GPU and HDD. I expect my new GPU (EVGA GTX560TI-448 Classified) to arrive tomorrow. My HDD is a WD Caviar Green 5400 RPM, which is not a good one. Also gonna upgrade shortly to a Crucial M4 64 GB SSD for my OS, and a WD Caviar Blue 7200 RPM 320 GB for FSX only. The scenery was FlyTampa Maarten Complete.