Sign in to follow this  
Ben Cap

Aerosoft AES VS FSDreamTeam GSX

AES VS GSX  

478 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

• Aerosoft AES
    • FSDreamTeam Ground Services X

The folks around Umberto can do magic from time to time, but I think it's a hard task to enable a sort of generic moving jetway on addon scenery which comes with a ton of variations and approaches. That's the part where AES was best, but also incorporated the need to really work on every single airport release (and the jetways there), hence the credit costs. This also included a rework if the version of the airport changed.If the Dreamteam folks can handle that for the price of just GSX, they are magicians indeed. I like the idea. :(

GSX: As far as I have seen automatic docking guides are only added to FSDT sceneries, and it's a one size fits all. In reality there are many different systems. GSX models one (fictional) system.
That's not correct, GSX already supports the following Docking Systems:SafeGate 3 ( seen at Zurich, KFJK, KDFW )APIS ( LSGG )Agnis-PAPA ( LSGG )AGN ( KDFW )RLG ( PHNL, PHOG )And they are used at our airports, according to the actual type used in the airport. Of course, we can place them everywhere, when doing an airport customization.
I also noticed that if a scenery comes with automatic docking guides (Munich) GSX will ignore that an still put a marshaller behind it as well.
Good suggestion, to add knowledge of an existing docking system when customizing an airport...
There is no promise for some of that detailing to come to other airports. The airports AFCAD will determine how GSX will interact with you. I'm not sure just how big of deal that turns out to be, but the example of the marshaller guiding me in right under the automated docking system in Munich shows that some airports require adjustments. Will you get those? I don't know
Have you read the GSX manual (or tried it) how the Live Update feature works ? The ability to add new supported airplanes, and customized airports, is the only reason we took the time to add that one, and will keep us busy for years.Also, we are working on a feature that will allow users to easily configure a parking, at least for the most pressing issues, like indicating a fake/static/AES jetway is there, turning off the Bus, and other parameters too. We'll keep in mind your suggestion to add a "there's a docking system here", so we kill the marshaller.

I have to be honest, but I was expecting a different direction of discussion. We will all have our preferences, but to date I'm an particularly fond of GSX and do need to add these positive words. First and foremost, FSDT has made it clear that GSX is designed to be modular and expansile. Currently, it does not have lavatory services or de-ice services of AES, but they have stated that this is very very likely to show up in the future. There has been discussion of reworking jetway animations to fix things like sinking in the ground, but admittedly this is much less certain.On top of this, GSX animations are top notch and overall more immersive requiring you to actually ensure certain doors, etc are opened or closed when needed. At the aiports with customization, there seems to be very very smooth integration. I'm not surprised that people do have oddities pop up at default aiports. A generic blanket solution is prone to such problems. However, we actually get these services at default airports. That's a huge plus, as anything that requires an extensive customization for each airport is going to miss most of the remaining airports.There is also excellent integration with specific (and an expanding list) of addon aircraft that allows for very smooth interaction. It's a new product and like anything I expect will be patched and updated. However, it's potential is fantastic, particularly given the backing of an entire company like FSDT.

Eric Szczesniak

Sounds to me like FSDT have made a good start. Lets face it, you would have to be pretty good to get it right first time when you create something as complex as GSX is (from what i have been reading). After all, AES has had a pretty good head start which already gives it an advantage when it comes to comparisons.Anyhow, my credit card is already half way out of my pocket.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

That's not correct, GSX already supports the following Docking Systems:SafeGate 3 ( seen at Zurich, KFJK, KDFW )APIS ( LSGG )Agnis-PAPA ( LSGG )AGN ( KDFW )RLG ( PHNL, PHOG )And they are used at our airports, according to the actual type used in the airport. Of course, we can place them everywhere, when doing an airport customization.
Hi Umberto,I feel quite bad - you are of course correct. I have just checked out Geneva and sure enough - The APIS system is installed on a number of gates. I'd even go as far as saying that it works better then the AES counterpart. In my previous tests I didn't encounter any variation in system, but clearly I was wrong. I will amend my original post now.Edit: Blast - the forum won't let me edit this post any more.
It's a new product and like anything I expect will be patched and updated. However, it's potential is fantastic, particularly given the backing of an entire company like FSDT.
I agree wholeheartedly. Just in case this didn't transpire in my original posting: I'm hugely impressed with GSX. I'm looking forward to see how it will develop over time and I have a sneaking suspicion that come my next round of down under flying, I will make yet another transaction to the FSDT team. I was just trying to share my views on the AES vs. GSX question this thread is trying to answer.Cheers,Alex Edited by alepro

You can disable the one or the other software. GSX uses an ini file for that, AES has its tool. There's a section 'Customizing GSX' in the manual, which describes the disable_on_airports parameter in the the ini. Find the file at %APPDATA%VirtualiCouatladdons.ini.

AES Credits are top sellers this week on Simmarket. Looks like interest has spiked for these.

It is good that those who use FS9 for whatever reason are able to have AES available to them. (not me) As GSX is FSX only, so they don't end up with nothing.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I like AES alot, and it's ability to customize each aircraft (location of doors etc) but I don't like how it's limited to certain airports which in most cases are the developers choice and from posts it seems that an SDK for developers is unlikely to be produced, which to me is a limiting product aswell as the price for a credit pack, 14euros for 10 credits which what, last three airports?!I've tried GSX and so far I like it, although I'm not to sure about the price, flying from regional airports alot, is it worth me spending 30£, I'm tempted for certain but simply unable to make a decision.

I intend to use both products. One thing people forget is AES just began being updated to its next generation. All of the vehicles have been updated in the past couple months as a start to the process. Much of the prejudice against AES is based on the old vehicles and the pricing structure. Old vehicles are no longer an issue. The pricing structure can not change significantly because of the way AES customized every airport. AES may end up being the better of the two products but many threw AES away months before GSX was released. GSX was supposed to be the death of AES months ago. It seems fair to conclude that AES Next Generation could be the death of GSX.Still, the jetways are a major issue for me and for that reason, I must continue to use AES. Right now, it is my understanding that they cannot be used together. An FSUIPC update is needed before it will work. A thread on the FSDT for seems to indicate that the GSX vehicles will disappear because AES excludes default vehicles from appearing. Also, you will see double marshallers - that's something AES needs to address. Until these issues are addressed, I'm not buying GSX. To Umberto and Oliver - please work together and figure it out. You are not getting any more money from me until you do.I just think it is funny that so many dismissed AES as just useless eye candy but now that GSX is released, it is being greeted like the flightsim messiah.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Right now, it is my understanding that they cannot be used together. An FSUIPC update is needed before it will work.
That's not true. It is true that the latest version of FSUIPC will delete the GSX vehicles if the user aircraft is at a gate with AES active. This is to stop duplication of vehicles with identical functions. If you want to use GSX instead of AES at such places, just change the FSUIPC4.INI file parameter "DeleteVehiclesForAES=Yes" to "No".In the next release of FSUIPC4 I'll make the deletion avoid those vehicles named "FSDT_ ..." so that this is not needed. But you have an easy work-around already -- assuming you want to use GSX instead of AES at AES paid-for enabled airports.RegardsPete Edited by Pete Dowson

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Thanks for clearing that up Pete. I make the necessary changes.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I've tried GSX and so far I like it, although I'm not to sure about the price, flying from regional airports alot, is it worth me spending 30£, I'm tempted for certain but simply unable to make a decision.
You can use it all over the place so you're not limited to a few airports and on top of that you pay only once.The software is good.It is a must have imo. Edited by MindYerBeak

I've tried GSX and so far I like it, although I'm not to sure about the price, flying from regional airports alot, is it worth me spending 30£, I'm tempted for certain but simply unable to make a decision.
I think it would be essential for you. AES typically only supports large airports (or smaller ones done by major developers). If you are usually flying to/from regional airports, my guess is GSX would fill the hole left by AES's limited coverage.For me, I'm looking forward to using at all of those tropical airports that don't have jetways but handle large aircraft.