Sign in to follow this  
vector

MAy I say something, please?

On a side note, the NFL has announced that in an effort to generate more revenue and new fans, it has changed the rules to that of Canadian football. Don't worry, it is a new and exciting way to play, just appreciate what you have and remember, the NFL doesn't owe you anything.My apologies to Canadian football fans. :)
You'd better apologize! I see a possibility of a shadow of a hint of an insult! If so, then them's fightin words eh? :(

You'd better apologize! I see a possibility of a shadow of a hint of an insult! If so, then them's fightin words eh? :(
:lol:Well, when I wrote that I didn't realize that half the posters here don't know what the NFL is and 90% of the remainders never heard of Canadian football, so that just leaves the rest of us North of the border. :(

Microsoft owes this community nothing: anymore than the community owes Microsoft anything. We spent about $25/year with Microsoft to buy the various releases of Flight Simulator and that's the end of it - no further obligations either way. How long will it take for some to realise that Flight isn't, and never was intended to be, FS11. Development of FS11 ended very obviously several years ago when Microsoft closed ACES.

Edited by mgh

Most consumers ignorantly believe that it is THEY who should be grateful to the company for selling them something when, in truth, it is the other way around.
Then you said:
The TRUTH is owed to a community that has been loyal to Microsoft's franchise for more than two decades and have made it one of the longest running and most successful titles in history.
Why - "loyal to Microsoft's franchise for more than two decades"? (Microsoft-Lovers?).Then the community ignorantly believe that it isTHEY who should be grateful to the company (Microsoft)......
- From the start they knew the fiasco that Flight would cause.
Are you a soothsayer?Say no more.

MS does owe us some respect, nothing more nothing less, as a lot of other companies do well.

. . .How long will it take for some to realise that Flight isn't, and never was intended to be, FS11. . . .
MS is getting the feedback they deserve. And the feedback is probably meaningless to them anyway.I agree it probably was never meant to be FS11, but that only became crystal clear recently. When was it said it would be free, Hawaii only and limited to their specific add on scheme? - about a month or two ago. Long after their teasers, bringing in AVSIM into the loop and so on.

Joe Lorenc

MS does owe us some respect, nothing more nothing less, as a lot of other companies do well.
The same respect that's been shown to Microsoft in this forum, and that was shown here when FSX was released?

I remember a time...
Great post Mike. I agree with everything you said.

The same respect that's been shown to Microsoft in this forum, and that was shown here when FSX was released?
MGH, I don't know how you measure how YOU give respect but my yardstick dictates that it must be EARNED. - You and many others demanded that the "whining" stop even though it was obvious that FSX was a mess. After two patches (thanks to those who would not sit quietly and pretend everything is fine) and five years even ACES themselves admitted that FSX was a mess. - You and many other demand that the "whining" stop again. Microsoft brought it on themselves FOR TELLING BALDFACED LIES about Flight. If they simply had told the truth about Flight they would not find themselves at the butt of all this venom. I don't give liars respect sorry...At the end of the day, I don't tip toe around singing zippty-doo-dah out of my rear end handing out sunshine and chocolate when it is obvious there is something rotten. Flight as a product is irrelevant because Microsoft can make whatever that want to make however, when you lie to people's faces about everything from the start of development all the way through the beta test then man up and take the beating you have coming. If you feel that behavior is worthy of respect then that is up to you.Microsoft gets respect when they EARN respect and not before.

May I say a word or two, please?I have read a significant number of threads in the Flight forum here and what I conclude is that there is considerable dissatisfaction, to say the least, about this forthcoming product. Has anyone has anything in the slightest positive to say?I am a MSFS user of considerable vintage. I started some 30 years ago when Version 1 of FS hit the shelves. In those days the sim was more or less just wire frames and dotted lines but I, and many others, enjoyed it because, at last, we could go flying. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever visualise a flight sim of today’s reality and complexity.Instead of criticizing, whining and generally rubbishing Microsoft’s Flight may I suggest you take a look at what you have today, now on your PC? Whether you fly FS2002, FS2004 or FSX you have a wonderful simulation of incredible reality and with an unrivalled immersive factor. Addons and third party development abound. The world is your oyster. Appreciate what you have.David
David, for what it’s worth I’m with you. I see Flight as a massively extensible simulator, with a built in system to support continuous expansion. It even has an economic model that demands expansion – user directed expansion. In fact Flight addresses a lot of problems that big games have. And big games are in major industry trouble right now. I don’t believe for a moment MS actually intends to build Flight alone (just my opinion). I’m not surprised by our reaction but I am a bit surprised by how deep some prejudices run. All I want to see from the base Flight is a powerful rendering engine and an expanded flight model. That’s it - nothing else. If they can deliver that the rest can come by expansion; because, all the other systems are attachments and content. I am very anxious for Flight’s release…I want to see for myself what we have here :)

David, for what it’s worth I’m with you. I see Flight as a massively extensible simulator, with a built in system to support continuous expansion. It even has an economic model that demands expansion – user directed expansion. In fact Flight addresses a lot of problems that big games have. And big games are in major industry trouble right now. I’m not surprised by user reaction but I am surprised by how deep the prejudices run. You have to ask if there are some that are more interested in defaming MS and Flight than flight simulation itself. All I want to see from the base Flight is a powerful rendering engine and an expanded flight model. That’s it - nothing else. If they can deliver that the rest can come as expansions; because, all the other systems are attachments and content. The obstacle I fear the most is us users.
So far there is nothing to indicate that Flight would ever be expanded to serious simulator.

Mike TYou missed the point that I was being ironic. As I said Microsoft owes us nothing and we owe Microsoft nothing.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.