Sign in to follow this  
CrashEd

Tutorial #2 Preparation

Just wondered what addons and utilities people are getting together in preparation for the upcoming Tutorial #2. As I understand it, it will be a flight from Amsterdam, Schipol to LOWI. I've also heard that TopCat will also be involved for those who already have it. Other than that, I don't know too many other details. What I have:- Aerosoft Approaching Innsbruck- Navigraph charts for Schipol and LOWI- TOPCAT- Active Sky 2012- FSBuild- Paper and ink for the printer!What I intend to get hold of:- Aerosoft Mega Airport Amsterdam X*- Beer on IceAnything else?* Is Amsterdam X Mega Airport worth getting? The last time I thought about buying it I heard that the performance in FSX wasn't that great. Is a Cray super computer still needed to run in (particularly with the NGX?). i.e. would I be wasting my money? Are there any alternatives?

Edited by CrashEd

Ed Haslam

Get both EHAM and LOWI from aerosoft. Yes EHAM is quite strong on framerates, but good nonetheless (at least for me.!).And, what I would REALLY recommend is the aivlasoft EFB. There is a demo available for you to try for 30 days. I determined I would get one after 10 minutes of use.

* Is Amsterdam X Mega Airport worth getting? The last time I thought about buying it I heard that the performance in FSX wasn't that great. Is a Cray super computer still needed to run in (particularly with the NGX?). i.e. would I be wasting my money? Are there any alternatives?
I have Amsterdam X. Quite a nice add on. Like any detailed Scenery, it will hit your frames but not overly. However don,t expect super performance on an old dual core @ 2600mghz.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Get both EHAM and LOWI from aerosoft. Yes EHAM is quite strong on framerates, but good nonetheless (at least for me.!).And, what I would REALLY recommend is the aivlasoft EFB. There is a demo available for you to try for 30 days. I determined I would get one after 10 minutes of use.
Thanks Lukas, I think I'll give EHAM a try. I have Approaching Innsbruck, which is excellent. I've often considered EFB, but I'm holding back a bit because of the price. Not sure what it will offer over what I already have, but maybe I'll try the demo. Thanks for the heads up.
I have Amsterdam X. Quite a nice add on. Like any detailed Scenery, it will hit your frames but not overly. However don,t expect super performance on an old dual core @ 2600mghz.
Thanks; I have an Intel 920 at 3.9GHz, so not quite up to modern day standards but hardly a slouch. Hopefully it will run ok!

Ed Haslam

Thanks Lukas, I think I'll give EHAM a try. I have Approaching Innsbruck, which is excellent. I've often considered EFB, but I'm holding back a bit because of the price. Not sure what it will offer over what I already have, but maybe I'll try the demo. Thanks for the heads up.
I was in exactly the same boat. :) Trust me, try the demo.
Thanks; I have an Intel 920 at 3.9GHz, so not quite up to modern day standards but hardly a slouch. Hopefully it will run ok!
I don't think you'll have much problems with that CPU.

I was in exactly the same boat. :) Trust me, try the demo.
Nice one, I'll give it a go.
I don't think you'll have much problems with that CPU.
That's good to know, hopefully it'll be fine. The FSX Schipol is pretty poor!

Ed Haslam

I've often considered EFB, but I'm holding back a bit because of the price.
I have EFB as well and if you are anything like me (bad with paper), you will like that too.Regards,

Rick Hobbs

I have EFB as well and if you are anything like me (bad with paper), you will like that too.Regards,
EFB saved my printer!! Soo nice for the price!

Yeah and my toner cartridges cost me close to $100 a piece.

Rick Hobbs

How do you use it inflight? Do you just run it on a laptop or something similar?
If you're in the UK you can get Mega Airport Amsterdam for £15.07 from amazon
Awesome! Thanks for the heads-up Ritchie, I owe you one :)

Ed Haslam

How do you use it inflight? Do you just run it on a laptop or something similar?
Both possible. Either via network, or on same pc.

I have the display unit networked to my Wife's Laptop. I told her that she is not allowed to use the laptop if i am flying (I wish) :(

Rick Hobbs