Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

UTX USA vs. GEX North America

HelloFrom the Flight1 GEX north america product page, which I am surprised you have not read if you are interested in buying this.Some of the main features of Ground Environment X:
  • Complete coverage of the USA and Canada (including Alaska).
  • 1m/pixel - 1024 x 1024 Texture Size - Hand Crafted To extreme Detail.
  • High Performance, extreme density and perfectly aligned autogen.
  • Realistic custom designed night textures.
  • All seasons including snowy winter.
  • Textures derived from licensed Arial and Satellite imagery.

For UTX there are three products needed if you want continuous coverage as far north as AlaskaHere is the UTX NA page, http://www.sceneryso...ut_fsx_usa.htmlHere is the UTX Alaska page, http://www.sceneryso...UltAlaskaX.htmlHere is the UTX Canada page, http://www.sceneryso...ut_fsx_can.html

I did read it, I was just asking you because you have it and on the website it doesn't say anything about Hawaii for GEX. I'll probably only get the US then.Anything else I need to know? Edited by linux731

HelloThe GEX textures will cover Hawaii, in fact you will find them in other areas of the world as well due to the way the FSX texture system worksEverything you need to know is in the respective support forums which are both here:http://www.simforums.com/forums/forums.htmlThe UTX manual is here:http://www.scenerysolutions.com/doc/UtUsa.pdf

HelloThe GEX textures will cover Hawaii, in fact you will find them in other areas of the world as well due to the way the FSX texture system worksEverything you need to know is in the respective support forums which are both here:http://www.simforums...ums/forums.htmlThe UTX manual is here:http://www.sceneryso...m/doc/UtUsa.pdf
Thanks for those links.Next question, are these products updated to keep up with the world or has it just been the same for X years?

The night lighting looks as good as XPX.
UTX & GEX are IMHO a must have for FSX. The UTX lighting alone is worth the price I paid.I find that when flying in ORBX PNW, with poles & UTX lighting enabled, the view outside the window is spectacular.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Thanks for those links.Next question, are these products updated to keep up with the world or has it just been the same for X years?
HelloWhy don't you just read through the product forums and ask the developers some questions.Just about everyone uses these products (for a reason) the search function at Avsim will yield a lot of information.I do not want to appear rude of anything but some self help is necessary when judging whether to buy any product, we cannot spoon feed you every little detail.I have given you everything you need to make an informed buying choice, I am off now to enjoy the rest of my Sunday afternoon.

HelloWhy don't you just read through the product forums and ask the developers some questions.Just about everyone uses these products (for a reason) the search function at Avsim will yield a lot of information.I do not want to appear rude of anything but some self help is necessary when judging whether to buy any product, we cannot spoon feed you every little detail.I have given you everything you need to make an informed buying choice, I am off now to enjoy the rest of my Sunday afternoon.
LOLI'm asking you because you have it. That's all. Thanks for your help.
UTX & GEX are IMHO a must have for FSX. The UTX lighting alone is worth the price I paid.I find that when flying in ORBX PNW, with poles & UTX lighting enabled, the view outside the window is spectacular.
ORBX PNW looks great.

I have had UTX for a while, it has gotten updated fairly regularly - those guys are very good at implementing corrections for specific areas by user request.I have only had GEX since Dec, so can't really comment on how often it gets updated, but I would suspect they update when needed as well...

ORBX and UTX together, does that work?

OK guys, I've made a decision.I'm buying GEX North America and UTX USA. Now, I need some help ordering. Whenever I click on the Now Available by Download! button, it only scrolls me down, and it asks me to download another program. Do I somehow buy through that program? Can't I buy from the website? (Preferred)

I'm buying GEX North America and UTX USA. Now, I need some help ordering
HelloIt is asking you to download the Flight1 downloader tool, because UTX it is such a large download this tools is used to ensure the D/L integrity of the installer, and just as it says "full instructions are included".Once you have downloaded UTX through this tool you will have a normal Flight1 wrapper which you then use to buy and install UTX.To recap: you download the two parts of UTX through the Flight1 downloader, you then run the resulting Flight1 wrapper to purchase and install.Once installed you run the UTX config tool to configure the UTX options you want active (there are lot's)Install GEX second as it has some special textures included for UTX users.

ORBX and UTX together, does that work?
Yes.

Thanks DJJose...No problems whatsoever?
Nope.

Interesting thread.I have GEX and UTX, but have only installed GEX onto this current install of FSX. The reason being the trouble I had some time ago with the trial version of ORBX's PNW. I had ocean appearing up the west coast of the US where land should be, up to a certain altitude where the land appeared- kind of looked like any altitude lower than where this new (wrong) ocean texture was seen to be was flooded by some enormous rise in sea level. I couldn't get rid of this depite deactivating and even uninstalling the trail version of PNW, although uninstalling UTX made it go away. I was so frustratEd with it that I never tried UTX again even on this newer FSX install. To make matters worse, as far as I can recall, there wasn't much help from the FTX team as I did not have an "order number" (the trail was free). Not blamimg them.I now have the full version of PNW installed on a later install of FSX, but have never wanted to get back to that wierd stuff with oceans that "flood" the land. I guess my first question is how does that happen- does UTX and PNW both install another layer of terrain somehow that would cause this "flooding" issue? There is a terrain.cfg in FSX but I was never game enough to try editing it. Anyone else had this issue?My other question is whether ot matters which order I install UTX and GEX (having already installed GEX), since a prior post in this thread talks about GEX enhancing the UTX terrain- can GEX still enhance the terrain if the terrain is installed after GEX?Thanks- and this post is not to discredit either product- just to perhaps understand what and why things happen like my experience.Thanks, Bruce.

Is it my imagination guys, but I have GEX and UTX Europe and IMO they don't look half as realisitc as the US versions...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776