Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

UTX USA vs. GEX North America

Hey guys.I'm looking to buy some scenery for FSX. I can't stand how the my local airport is in a "desert" in the default scenery. It's NOT like that. So, can anyone give me their opinions on GEX for North America and UTX for USA? I understand that GEX covers the entire North America, including Mexico and Canada (correct me if I'm wrong), but I never really fly in Mexico or Canada so it isn't a big deal for me.

HelloIn my opinion you need both as they play different roles.UTX is going to give you accurate coastlines and road network and will improve your urban landclass.GEX is going to give you a better texture set to add to the geographical improvements from UTX

HelloIn my opinion you need both as they play different roles.UTX is going to give you accurate coastlines and road network and will improve your urban landclass.GEX is going to give you a better texture set to add to the geographical improvements from UTX
So you think both put together?

They are complimentary products, but if I could only keep one it would be UTX. Still, they go perfectly together and IMO are now an essential component of an FSX installation.

So you think both put together?
HelloWithout a doubt, GEX is only going to give you better ground textures, it is a straight replacement for the default set.UTX is about the coastlines, roads, railways, urban landclass, waterclasses,UTX = a more accurate worldGEX = a nicer looking world.

i have to go the other way..i would buy GEX usa/canada/ replaces the awful sand coloured textures.check for some screenshots.massive difference over default textures.of course if you can afford it get utx usa as well. steve-0

HelloWithout a doubt, GEX is only going to give you better ground textures, it is a straight replacement for the default set.UTX is about the coastlines, roads, railways, urban landclass, waterclasses,UTX = a more accurate worldGEX = a nicer looking world.
Plus GEX offers great autogen placement!
i have to go the other way..i would buy GEX usa/canada/ replaces the awful sand coloured textures.check for some screenshots.massive difference over default textures.of course if you can afford it get utx usa as well. steve-0
The thing is, UTX offers the roadways/railways like mad dog mentioned. And they're accurate! For a VFR guy wanting to simulate flying in reality, UTX should come first. But yeah, having both is pretty much a must.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I have to agree with much of the sentiment above, I have both UTX and GEX for NA, and would not want to sim without them. They do compliment each other nicely.

OK, so which one would you get if you could only get one ATM? (I plan on getting both later)How do they install? Is it just an installer? Is there a add on that it has from the Add Ons menu in FSX?

The first one I got was UTX, then later added GEX. I was happy with what I got with UTX, then when I later added GEX was that much happier.Yes there is an installer and a good manual that comes with it... once installed and configured you are set, no need to access the addons menu for either of these two programs.

If your primary concern is ground textures around your airport, GEX should be what you want to get first. As others have said, UTX gives you accurate roads, coastlines, urban landclass and such. GEX replaces the ground textures, and that's what would likely change the desert look around your airport.

Yes, I'd go with GEX first (I have both GEX and UTX) but you might also want to consider a replacement landclass product for North America from either SceneryTech or Cloud 9.John

Alright, I think I'll get GEX then first. Anyone else want to chime in?
GEX is not going to change the desert around your airport, it's just going to make it a nicer looking desert.UTX will add the roads and landclass around it which will probably make it more realistic. it kind of seems like that is more what you are looking for.anyway like everyone else says, the best answer is 'both' i would not fly without either one.a third party landclass might also help although it is sort of subjective - i prefer the one that comes with UTX over the scenerytech one for example but i'm sure others disagree.if you mention which airport you are talking about i could post a screenshot so you could decide if it's going to solve your issue.cheers-andy crosby

There is also an order to how they should be installed together, so that is something that you should research if you are considering adding UTX down the road.

Edited by audiohavoc