Sign in to follow this  
EGLL77W

Active Sky or REX with PMDG Aircraft?

Disregard

Edited by christos

Chris Howard

AS2012 - does it all and does it well.

Opus can be argued as having better weather, but it does not do textures and I dont think it does historical weather.

REX (E and plus and plusE) can be argued as having better effects and textures, but it has a crap weather engine. It better then it was and better then FSX default, but no where near as good as OPUS or ASE).

AS2012 has good weather and good textures and ties the two together in a very quick and simple to use manner. If you can only get one package, that is the one I would recommend.

I a using REXESS Textures and OPUS weather i am verry happy with this combination !!

thanks guys,

Ok so its now a toss up between gex and active sky.

Paul

I use AS2012 with rex textures. Works fine for me. Cpt out.

I've been using AS going all the way back to ActiveSky wxRE and while every one has been good, none have ever blown me away as much as AS2012. I used FE/GE with AS 6.5 back on FS9 but never used REX. So while I can't speak for REX, I can say is you will not be disappointed with AS2012. I have the AS graphics maxed out and haven't really noticed any performance hit at all.

REX graphics are better. But AS2012 already has the beta SP2 available with more realism and the textures aren't bad at all. I'm using the 1024 textures to gain FPS and the clouds may not be perfect at this res., but they are pretty decent and the quantity and shapes are awesome. You will feel a huge difference. My cloudy sad days are actually sad now hahaha. 

I still get rain falling even though there's a clouds clearing above me, but I guess that's an FSX imperfection

Pedro Espindola

PMDG_737ngx_proud_own2_378x68.jpg

Thanks guys,

I guess its gotta be active sky.

Thanks again

738NGFREAK, on 15 May 2012 - 06:00, said:

For my self the best option is REX2 and the registered FSUIPC version to get rid of these

stupid wind problems!

I'm running REX 3.6.x (Beta 2) and latest FSUIPC and I still get those bizarre "wind" problems ... can you provide details on how to resolve, I do want real world wind data which REX is supposed to support but it seems to have the same issues as FSX default weather?

Ourgas2, on 17 May 2012 - 02:53, said:

The issue I had using REX is that it was stuttering heavily with dense cloud coverage at descent phase in big add-on airports(say approaching EHAM).

REX suggests a 100mi weather distance which can be demanding if your computer isn't high end. I've used both but currently run REX 3.6.x (Beta 2). I run DX10 mode and select the REX options specific to DX10 and currently don't get stutters even with 4096 HD textures.

Both products have their pro's and con's and neither of them solved the most annoying problem for me ... sudden weather changes including sudden wind changes and/or drastic wind changes. I know this is a solvable problem because I've seen other products solve the problem ... it may not be 100% accurate but I'd rather see minor inaccuracy over than sudden weather changes. The "smoothing" in both REX and AS 2012 leaves MUCH to be desired. Both products suggest it's a limitation with FSX, which is sorta accurate but can be worked around with sufficient programming effort.

I like how REX tries to make the process quick and easy with 3 big buttons taking you down different paths to weather generation and flight. The UI (user interface) can at times get confusing and is in need of additional user prompts -- especially when some features REQUIRE that FSX must NOT be running. I've had problems with excessive haze in REX and I can't seem to setup custom weather ... it always wants to use METAR , even when I turn the Weather Engine OFF it will load METAR. Beta 2 seemed to help reduce the excessive haze but I seem unable to completely get rid of it (even if not realistic).

I prefer the REX textures myself, but I think you can use both products together.

I didn't see a big performance hit with either product, but I am running a high end system.

Rob

Some REX screenshot I made during a Scotland flight:

cbe69fa3f0cc675388fc9ed5fc44fca9.jpg

151b6b50a8727f0d069d5de4fba3e6b8.jpg

dfce3de6e2d33a21cfc8e617900be0f5.jpg

4096 textures

Rob

Opus gets my votes, they have one of the more realistic cloud depictions. 

OPUS for your weather, optional REXE to get various cloud and skies textures.

The thing is, to really appreciate what OPUS have done so far, you must have been used the other software for a while ;)

E.g. my case, I used all versions of ASA ever since FS2004, until I found OPUS. Then REXE came out, I tried it and few hours later I was deeply regretting. It also did some hidden (almost) irreversible changes to my FSX config files, and it took me a while to get everything back to original state. Now, OPUS is used on all flights, occasionally REXE is fired up (all weather functions disabled) to change textures, and ASA is picking up dust on my desktop.

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

I'm running REX 3.6.x (Beta 2) and latest FSUIPC and I still get those bizarre "wind" problems ... can you provide details on how to resolve, I do want real world wind data which REX is supposed to support but it seems to have the same issues as FSX default weather?

I have FSUIPC set to 8 seconds per knot. Some would say higher than it needs to be. But works for me.

In addition, tick the suppress turbulence box, and the two either side, to kill the S turns.

Set like this I have no issues at all. Except when REX injects the weather of course, then there's some disruption. I believe the REX beta patch calms that down.