Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EGLL77W

Active Sky or REX with PMDG Aircraft?

So I'm getting pretty bored of the default FSX weather so looking to get either Active Sky or REX. Now my average FPS with the NGX or 747 is 20-30 on the ground and 30-40/50 Airborne. What would be the best FPS wise?

For my self the best option is REX2 and the registered FSUIPC version to get rid of these

stupid wind problems! The frames affect is very good,and you get a lot of cloud types in HD!

But this is my oppinion and for sure it won't work on every system!

Greetings

Sven Wendel

For my self the best option is REX2 and the registered FSUIPC version to get rid of these

stupid wind problems! The frames affect is very good,and you get a lot of cloud types in HD!

But this is my oppinion and for sure it won't work on every system!

Greetings

Sven Wendel

yup especially when the rex essential pack comes out which hope fully not too far off by the sound of things in the rex froum

Active Sky is a much better program for generating real wheather into fs.

On the other hand Rex textures are beautifull! That's why I use them togheter.

David DD

Active Sky is a much better program for generating real wheather into fs.

On the other hand Rex textures are beautifull! That's why I use them togheter.

David DD

Yeah that's a big thing for me as I like to keep it as realistic as possible. I was on approach to Oslo and looked at the metar and was basically CAT III Conditions but on the Sim was clear skies.. ha!

Get REX 2, with it, you also get a 9GB file download of REX Overdrive, which adds a bunch of clouds and stuff, and pretty soon they will release REX Essentials which will pretty much be REX 3.... It's a whole new program, basically.

Get REX 2, with it, you also get a 9GB file download of REX Overdrive, which adds a bunch of clouds and stuff, and pretty soon they will release REX Essentials which will pretty much be REX 3.... It's a whole new program, basically.

Yea and if you have already got rex it will be a free download when the essential pack comes out. The good thing is that the weather programne is going to be a much more improvement than the one it has now

Do we know if the new REX Essentials still require FSUIPC to fix the wind issues?

I just found out that the REX weather engine is not compatable with FSX. This might be the reason that REX, is trying to fix with Essentials. This was told to me by a long time MS engineer. I quit using REX, fewer CTD, now.

Active SKY2012 was made for FSX, and works good.

Jerry

well I have active sky 2012 and rex2.I use rex2 for cloud and other graphics.I use AS 2012 only for weather.Both works well and pmdg 747x is not fps eater :)

one big (very big) advantage is the historic weather with AS2012!!!

Come home in the evening and fly with the weather of the morning.

Or tired about weeks of hot weather in the summer? Set your FS to the date there've been a cold stormy, foggy winter day and have fun.

Remember the date of a hurricane or rainy, foggy day last year? Go back in time and fly with this weather

:Peace:

I really like how Active Sky 2012 selects its own correct textures when you load the weather. I would never be bothered to select the correct textures/theme from REX every flight manually based on what AS told me, although I know there used to be the snapshot system in the old Active Sky which I guess made it a bit easier.

Marko Hyypia

I just found out that the REX weather engine is not compatable with FSX. This might be the reason that REX, is trying to fix with Essentials. This was told to me by a long time MS engineer. I quit using REX, fewer CTD, now.

Active SKY2012 was made for FSX, and works good.

Jerry

where did you find this information i use rex weather and iam sure alot of others do and iam having no problems at all with fsx

A small number of people claim that REX does reasonable weather. I do not understand why they think that, I can only say that it is slightly better then the FSX default weather. The norm until recently was to have ASE for weather and REX for pretties. Then AS2012 launched late last year with even better weather and very pretty pretties. Some people still claim that the pretties in REX are superior and I am not going to argue against them, but the ones in AS2012 are so much easier to use and, to my eye, look more then pretty enough, that I and many others have un-installed REX altogether. Essentials has been promised for a long time, and might yet prove to be a game changer, but until it is actually released, AS2012 is all you need.

Luke

Several months ago when I reinstalled FSX and all the addons I did not install REX2/OD but just went with AS2012 which I let select and install the textures based upon the flightplan for my flight. When I was using ASE and REX2 I only setup one theme in REX2 and used it for all flights no matter what the weather was. You could spend your whole life creating and screwing around with REX themes or you could let AS2012 do it for you in 5 minutes.

Michael Cubine

Luke

Several months ago when I reinstalled FSX and all the addons I did not install REX2/OD but just went with AS2012 which I let select and install the textures based upon the flightplan for my flight. When I was using ASE and REX2 I only setup one theme in REX2 and used it for all flights no matter what the weather was. You could spend your whole life creating and screwing around with REX themes or you could let AS2012 do it for you in 5 minutes.

Michael Cubine

Yeah I think I'll go ahead and purchase AS2012! Like today I arrived into LHR and said OVC010 etc and on FSX it was clear skies ha! Looking forward to getting the proper Weather in the Sim. AS doesn't eat to much FPS does it?

I use REX's textures for the most part with AS2012's weather engine personally.

AS2012's weather engine personally.

What is the difference in AS2012 and ASE?

I myself have been kicking this around, and did not even know about Rex Essentials until a few days ago.. I already have Flight Environment X (old I know) and am quite happy with the textures in that. So if AS2012 will fix my weather then I may have to go with that.. The last couple days my FSX weather has been really screwy for some reason which is what got me thinking about getting a weather program. Although REX Essentials looks promising I really do not know much about either product.

What is the difference in AS2012 and ASE?

AS2012's weather engine seems to be much improved vs. ASEs. No problems at all with S-Turns etc for me and I'm running the default settings. I think it's doing a better job with the haze/visibility stuff than ASE did too.

Luke

Michael Cubine

you dont need to change the textures every five minutes as you suggesting you just pick the type of clouds, water, sky etc for the first time and u leave it till u want to change it again than you launch fsx and than rex weather does the rest under 4 mins for me you you dont need to spend you whole life changing the rex themes

AS doesn't eat to much FPS does it?

First let me write that I have clould coverage density set at 15 in fsx.cfg. The maximum default is 8. With that in mind normal weather in AS2012 does not effect the FPS limited to 30 FPS by NVIDIA Inspector. In heavy cloud coverage during the climb phase FPS can fluctuate violently in external views until I have climbed above the clouds. No problem in 2D or VC cockpit. At the default setting of 8 there should be little or no effect on FPS even in heavy clouds. BTW I am using the AS2012 graphic settings maxed out.

Michael Cubine

you dont need to change the textures every five minutes

Peter

Who wrote anything about changing textures every 5 minutes. The 5 minutes concerns AS2012 not REX2. Read the post the next time.

Michael Cubine

Who wrote anything about changing textures every 5 minutes. The 5 minutes concerns AS2012 not REX2. Read the post the next time.

ok i take note on that my mistake but as probably was trying to point out that you dont need to spend your whole life creating a theme in rex you only need to do it once till you decide to change it.

The issue I had using REX is that it was stuttering heavily with dense cloud coverage at descent phase in big add-on airports(say approaching EHAM). Thus, I uninstalled it although graphics were great.

Since then I overclocked my i5 2500k to 4,5 ghz and locked frames to 30. All runs smoothly.

I don't want to experience again these stutterings and I am reluctand to re-install REX.

Any comment on this?

Is AS equally frame demanding or causing stutterings?

Christos