Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

New RA Lancair screenie :)

There was a little joke tucked away in my post Johan. See if you can spot it. :P

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Christian, if I can nail down the correct shade of white, we're on! :Confused:

Ron, that would be awesome! :wub:

Thanks for your effort.

Christian

Thanks for that Bert we didn't know lol

The one modeled 80-85 kts... The reason a lot of people fly faster is to increase visibility over the nose. I saw those specs and am wondering if Lancair tested with the lowest weight and perfect conditions to get that speed...I can get this plane in and out of KCZK Cascade Locks State just east of Portland, and that strip is 1800 ft. If you end up using it on grass strips don't forget to set the suspension in the config.

No failures like the T Duke, but the other features make up for that imho.

No breaker functionality.

What data is this Legacy based on then? Official Lancair specs seem different in that regard.

Despite that I will pass this time. It already has been an expensive month and although it seems to look great it saddens me that it is even less complex than the Duke with no need to monitor the engine.

I'm afraid you have completely misunderstood the difference between "official" specs, which are manufacturer's specifications in ideal conditions, in order to promote sales, which is perfectly understandable, and other pilot recommended procedures as a result of experience.

There is no mystery here at all. The Legacy Specs are Lancair's list of what, ideally, the aircraft is capable of. The commonly used speeds for approach and landing are not cast in stone and are a mixture of official specs and what real users of that aircraft do. Most Legacy pilots seem to approach with a little more than Lancair's brochure speed of 80-85 KNOTS (note not MPH as you referred to about stalling in a previous post).

Manufacturers like to keep recommended speeds like this optimistically low in order to give the impression of safety and easy handling.

Most Legacy pilots we are aware of approach at higher than 80-85 knots because 1) They can see over the cowl more easily and 2) They want a get-out clause if the engine fails on approach, thus some pilots approach at nearer 95-100 knots then throttle back so they are over the threshold at a much slower speed.

There is no mystery, no dual or conflicting specs. It is just being practical.

RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Hey Rob

Loving this aircraft, I just done a flight from CZST to PAKT at sunset, fantastic.

However, I found a small bug...maybe? The aircraft is always level when on the ground, ie. it does not react to slopes? When I taxi down the sloped taxi way at Orbx PAKT, the aircraft remains level, the front wheel is floating. To test, I then went down a much bigger slope, about 45 degrees, and the aircraft remains level. Not sure if it's a bug in my install, in the aircraft or a one off and I should reboot FSX and test again.

Any idea's?

Cheers

Iain

-Iain Watson-

Rob, I know you've had a hectic few days but will there be a paint kit any time soon? I'm looking forward to getting some paint under my fingernails. :biggrin:

Expensive week for sure and I wasn't going to get this (at least not for a month or two) but this thread sold me, and damn it was worth it. Absolutely superb experience!

I've just completed one circuit but I can't see me spending any time in anything else for the next few weeks (even though I've been waiting years for the accusim mustang!!), this just feels right, looks great and sounds great. Very impressive Rob and Sean.

Rob, I know you've had a hectic few days but will there be a paint kit any time soon? I'm looking forward to getting some paint under my fingernails. :biggrin:

Hi Ron,

Yes there will be a kit. We like to wait awhile in case any texture/model issues pop up. When things calm down we will issue a paintkit - I know you are keen to get cracking.

All the best,

Rob - RealAir

Hey Rob

Loving this aircraft, I just done a flight from CZST to PAKT at sunset, fantastic.

However, I found a small bug...maybe? The aircraft is always level when on the ground, ie. it does not react to slopes? When I taxi down the sloped taxi way at Orbx PAKT, the aircraft remains level, the front wheel is floating. To test, I then went down a much bigger slope, about 45 degrees, and the aircraft remains level. Not sure if it's a bug in my install, in the aircraft or a one off and I should reboot FSX and test again.

Any idea's?

Cheers

Iain

Hi Iain,

Thanks for that observation. I have noticed this at some ORBx fields but not others, not that this is ORBx's fault at all - it's great scenery. We''ll have a look and try to see what might be causing it.

Rob - RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Ok, thx, I have not tested at a default airfield, I'm not able to test right now. Cheers

-Iain Watson-

Man, this airplane is fantastic.

I've been debating buying it since I just purchased the A2A Mustang a few days ago, but was this worth it. I didn't think it could get much better than the A2A Mustang as far as realism goes, but the Legacy is just as good, if not better.

Thank you Rob and Sean!

Jared Listinsky

I'm afraid you have completely misunderstood the difference between "official" specs, which are manufacturer's specifications in ideal conditions, in order to promote sales, which is perfectly understandable, and other pilot recommended procedures as a result of experience.

There is no mystery here at all. The Legacy Specs are Lancair's list of what, ideally, the aircraft is capable of. The commonly used speeds for approach and landing are not cast in stone and are a mixture of official specs and what real users of that aircraft do. Most Legacy pilots seem to approach with a little more than Lancair's brochure speed of 80-85 KNOTS (note not MPH as you referred to about stalling in a previous post).

Manufacturers like to keep recommended speeds like this optimistically low in order to give the impression of safety and easy handling.

Most Legacy pilots we are aware of approach at higher than 80-85 knots because 1) They can see over the cowl more easily and 2) They want a get-out clause if the engine fails on approach, thus some pilots approach at nearer 95-100 knots then throttle back so they are over the threshold at a much slower speed.

There is no mystery, no dual or conflicting specs. It is just being practical.

RealAir

Thanks for the clarification. That makes the Legacy quite fast for short strips. Lancair claims some 900 feet landing roll. Is that realistic? I would imagine you need more than that if you are coming in faster.

I know I shouldn't be talking about it before taking it to a flight, all I did was engine start, taxi, run up check, takeoff power then abort and shutdown, because I didn't have my Joystick on the desk and it's big and heavy enough (Warthog Thrustmaster) that I didn't want to go get it, but the aircraft on the ground alone is the best I have ever seen inside FS. WoW, when you start the engine, the whole aircraft shaking, the needles of the instrumentations also, man, that made clear I didn't do bad purchasing this one, in fact, it's probably the best GA simulation I have seen so far. I'm sure I'll be even more amazed when I get it to the skies.

A+ recommended my first RealAir addon and definitely not my last

Alexis Mefano

Thanks for the clarification. That makes the Legacy quite fast for short strips. Lancair claims some 900 feet landing roll. Is that realistic? I would imagine you need more than that if you are coming in faster.

Not really. This is approach, not flare. The technique used is to shoot a 90 knots approach with full flap. Althought the Legacy is slippery clean, the flaps are quite powerful, so you can be 90 or more knots over the fence, then reduce the power when landing assured and the float will not be long, since the flaps will quickly slow you over the threshold for a 75 knots touchdown. Apply brakes and voila.

Someone was asking for the first Australian Legacy. Here's a preview. I'll upload it when....you guessed it...the paint kit is out. :biggrin:

vh-xtz1.jpg