Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

100 Days of Flight - Your "WOW!" moment

My wow was not just the delightful smoothness of the sim but the complex modelling of shadows and reflections in and around the cockpit. One evening, with the sun low, I had just entered the cockpit, and then sat in amazement looking at the swaying shadows of palm fronds playing across the instruments of the RV. Double wow!

My wow was not just the delightful smoothness of the sim but the complex modelling of shadows and reflections in and around the cockpit. One evening, with the sun low, I had just entered the cockpit, and then sat in amazement looking at the swaying shadows of palm fronds playing across the instruments of the RV. Double wow!

Yes, the shadows and the 'light system' is what still wows me everytime I fly in Flight. Love it. Awesome! I never used to fly much during dusk and dawn in other sims but in Flight dusk and dawn really makes the light system shine (pun intended): seeing all those shadows, complex indeed, is just breathtaking.

Just as with many of you, I experienced not one but many Whow!!!! moments with MS FLIGHT.

The very first one was when I found it to run smooth as silk, at Medium settings, on a 5 yo rig, running Windows XP 32 bit and 3GB RAM. Upgrading to a Windows 7 64 bit, with 8GB and a GTX450 Nvidia card gives me Whow! moments everyday :-)

Then there have been several whow moments when I test aspects of the physics models in MS FLIGHT, not only the flight and engine models but also weather are working very very well in this sim.

Getting Aerocaches or simply flying a Mission has been much more rewarding than the many long haul flights, rather "professional" I used to play in fs9 and fsx, or even on Aerowinx PS1. I can't say I don't like playing being an airline pilot, but what I think is that MS FLIGHT brings us that great experience and sensation of flying GA aircraft, like most private pilots do in RL.

I strongly believe on of the biggest Whow moments is yet to arrive when Alaska becomes available :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1. Smoothness!

2. Loading procedures, only a few seconds. I do not want to know how many hours I had to watch the "loading" message in FSX.

3. I love not to see the landing strips miles ahead. Finding them is a challenge (without always tapping M).

4. Moving trees, sun flickering through them at dusk or dawn. Beautiful fog transitions.

5. Walking around your aircraft.

But the most impressive thing for me was the sound (outside view!) when changing the RPM under full throttle from high (Ctrl + F4) to low (Ctrl + F1) and contrariwise. Just awesome and 100% realistic. That's the sound the prop makes during the RPM test procedures before takeoff.

The most negative Wow effect, and I mean that negative, I could not really believe that it has been intentional:

1. No TrackIR, even since every low budget model flight sim supports TrackIR

2. No cockpits. If I had to choose, I'd prefer no external views, than non cockpit views.

3. No control input settings, I hate those unrealistic dead zones and disproportional/ expo curves.

4. To realise that i am addicted to check twice a day if Alaska is released.

With all those difficult-to-reach aerocaches on Kauai, I refused to go Kamikaze mode to get them. I parked the Icon on the beach, and hiked inland. Climbing over the mountains and through the gorges, I was astonished at the level of detail, and at just how amazing the scenery is there. I'm glad I did it on foot, taking the time to take in the scenery.

My first "Wow!" moment was when I flew into my first unimproved strip. It amazed me both with how realistically it was blended into the surrounding scenery, and with how realistically bumpy it was. My real life flying is taildraggers out of a grass strip - this is what sold me on Flight.

I'm hoping my next "Wow" moment is when I achieve a stable hover in a helicopter on the ramp at Hickam!

1st and so far only was a pleasant group flight, all with the Boeing Stearman, nice lights and clouds settings. We were about a dozen people to "wow" the good mood, good scenery (but lifeless, and that broke a bit of the wow as we were over the shore and no waves, no surfers, no one on sand was a bit odd...). But I'm affraid there are less and less together "wow" moments actually, as I meet less people online with time (big rooms are rarer)...

I do hope MSF will concentrate some efforts on giving us good multiplayers' gameplay !!

I'm hoping my next "Wow" moment is when I achieve a stable hover in a helicopter on the ramp at Hickam!

The other night on a group flight, we had less of a "wow" moment and more of a "LOL" moment. One of the guys encountered a wind glitch where only he was experiencing a 96 knot wind at the airfield. We were sitting on the ground looking up at this Maule hovering just above us as he did the world's slowest flyby. :Thinking:

Never realized how little I knew of HAWAII...My grand kids love this FLIGHT...While they are VERBOTEN from my FS9,and FSX,I encourage them to explore FLIGHT,HAWAII

Most impressive is the Scenery,and the Lighting effects...Been Simming from the very beginning...and this still has great possibility for a top notch simulator,Game playing aside.

One Criticism however,other than the Aircraft offered,...unlike FSX,,FLIGHT is a Sterile world...No signs of Life Below!....we need and infusion of a Bill Lyons here!.Other than that ..ITS GREAT FUN~...Who would have thought we now have three DESK TOP FLIGHT SIMULATORS....THE BEST IS YET TO COME....Ya doubt that?? Look at my Avatar... :Loser: ..ALOHA...Vin!!!

While the world of MS FLIGHT looks "Sterile", I'd rather have it that way than what I got on previous versions of MSFS and other sims, where we can have fancy activity allover the place/form, and yet the sensation of Flying, which is supposed to be the main concern of a flight simulator, is far from what MS FLIGHT gives me.

I am finally able to perform extreme crosswind/turbulence landings/takeoffs replicating the techniques used in RL, without having to enter "simulator" mode...

Yet another must is the possibility to, and the way it got implemented, control your aircraft using the mouse! The dampings are perfect, and most of the time, before someone offered me a Saitex X52 Pro last week :-), I flew mainly with the mouse! There was only one other simulator where I ended up using the mouse more than a lowsy joystick - Condor Soaring sim...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Hi JCOMM,....Not me,i like signs of life...cars,Plans,peoples.,kids waving,.and yes COWS.....most realistic for me..This after flying for many years....low and Slow.!...We know of course controlled flight is "STICK AND RUDDER".....For real flight Simulation adherence to Simulated Real Flight Controls is most important..To me at least...However in a game mode..I guess a "MOUSE" is OK...That Rolling Rodent is effective...

The CH Products work well in FLIGHT...The YOKE and the RUDDER PEDALS.....In any event..FUN is the name of the game...BOM BYE ESTADIA BEM..CIAO VIN!

My "wow" moment came when I spotted the officer's golf course on Hickam AFB (now known as "Mamala Bay Golf Course"). I worked there when I was 20. It's out between Hickam Harbor and PHNL's reef runway, which I witnessed being built during the years '73 to '77. The golf course actually looks fairly accurate in Flight. Even the driving range near the cart barn is there.

Without doubt my (first) WOW! moment came when I loaded up the program for the very first time , simply because it`s the first flight sim I have ever used. I was amazed at the quality of graphics that were possible on my four year old Dell XPS16.

The first thing I had asked when I was looking into buying my first laptop ( 7 yrs ago now, although it seems like yesterday) was if I could play flight sims on it. Back then it was simply out of the question. Laptop graphics were just not powerful enough. I suppose I could have tried FSX on the XPS but I was still not sure if it would work smoothly enough and I did not want to waste money on a flight sim I might not be able to use. So Flight is the first.

I think my second WOW! had to be when I first loaded up the Maule and the AV6. It was my first experience of a VC and my eyes were on stalks, marvelling at the way it was possible to replicate the intrumentation in a computer game.

I`m sure there will be plenty more WOW`sers to come in the future as well - probably in Alaska!

Hi JCOMM,....Not me,i like signs of life...cars,Plans,peoples.,kids waving,.and yes COWS.....most realistic for me..This after flying for many years....low and Slow.!...We know of course controlled flight is "STICK AND RUDDER".....For real flight Simulation adherence to Simulated Real Flight Controls is most important..To me at least...However in a game mode..I guess a "MOUSE" is OK...That Rolling Rodent is effective...

The CH Products work well in FLIGHT...The YOKE and the RUDDER PEDALS.....In any event..FUN is the name of the game...BOM BYE ESTADIA BEM..CIAO VIN!

Eheh, in real life, we glider pilots also sometimes very familiar with cows, when we land out... :-) It's named a "vacada" in portuguese speak :-)

vaca = cow in portuguese ;-)

I believe MS FLIGHT will get additional features as time goes by...

Main Simulation Rig:

HAA! HA!...Along with the VACADAS,lets include the OVINOS, SUÍNOS, FRANGOS...Here on the GULF COAST,in addition we have "ALLIGATORS"...in any language,they are TROUBLE...JACARÉS GRANDES APUROS!!....Soaring,Yes,Nice!...Have some DUAL time in Gliders!!....If they listen to the Buying FLIGHT Fans,we will get additional features,But if they "GAME IT" we may not! .HAVE FUN MY FRIEND!...Vin