Sign in to follow this  
AZsoccer

ALASKA RELEASED

So far I've only found Kodiak having a photoreal ground treatment and details like those Hawaiian airports. ;-( Even Anchorage and Fairbanks have generic polygon layout. It feels like Kodiak was done around Hawaii time, hence the Easter Egg from the video.

Cool thanks guys for confirming, sounds like a decent deal at $15 especially now that I have TrackIR support :dance:

--John near KPAE

It's a lot less repetitive than an endless expanse of ocean waves!

LOL :smile: VERY TRUE! You got me there... :wink:

One tip: ZOOM, people, ZOOM!!!

It's not like this everywhere (really) but have a look at the middle of the following screenshots. There seem to be no airports there at all.

7455552508_e6ab1bfc20_z.jpg

Let's zoom in a little. Ah, nice! Seven airports there! That's nice!

7455552294_4b2bb64b44_z.jpg

Let's zoom in more. Cool! There are some small airports nearby too! Crowded place that is!

7455552076_c318de58e7_z.jpg

What...? Zoom in more? I already see the VORs and ILS feathers, so I doubt if there is any use in zooming in more... is there...? O yes, there is. WOW! How cool is that! Amazing.

7455551918_fd55b890cf_z.jpg

So Alaska has a lot of airports hidden everywhere! Cool!

Sorry, what did you say? Zoom in more...? Why...?

Here's why. There are around 100 airports over there...!!!

7455551750_00f5b4f92d_z.jpg

So my advice: ZOOM, people, ZOOM!!!

Zoom zoom? What is this, a Mazda commercial?

Don't forget, this is Alaska, so some of those "airports" are actually water airports for float planes.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Zoom zoom? What is this, a Mazda commercial?

LOL

One of the great things of Flight. (Sligthly OT but there are Alaska pictures :wink: ): trees and shadows. It's an early morning and the low sun is on the right. When you look left you see colorful trees in the sunlight, when you look right you see the same kind of trees but now dark. Just as it should be. This is SUCH an improvement and so important for the 'as real as it gets' experience!!! :smile:

7455650524_1672d55eb5_b.jpg

7455650152_86d9edc4c7_b.jpg

The problem with so many airports and the whole zooming thing is that when people (newbies especially) in multiplayer type "Hai guys, where are you all at?" and somebody mumbles the appropriate alphabet soup, the other player still has no clue other than a semi-tedious zoom-search.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The problem with so many airports and the whole zooming thing is that when people (newbies especially) in multiplayer type "Hai guys, where are you all at?" and somebody mumbles the appropriate alphabet soup, the other player still has no clue other than a semi-tedious zoom-search.

Even if he does not mumble but gives you the ICAO code and the name of the place, you still won't be able to find it. It is simply IMPOSSIBLE to find a specific airport because there is no search option. For such a huge region you REALLY need a search option. All you can do now is Google for it and try to find it after that in Flight. Searching the map is absolutely impossible because there are too many airports and you have to zoom in very close to see most of them.

I wish the map had higher resolution with more details and labels.

Yes, the map is ver 'low res'. I just did a flight to an airport that was on the shore of a lake: the entire lake wasn't visible on the map. This makes finding some places just by looking at landmarks impossible unless you have a real paper map.

Im really pleased to see a nice scenery pack at a great price! I however wont buy it unless they release a new aircraft with a cockpit. Even if its an extra Carbon Cub cockpit add-on, something. Ill hold off till that happens. If its just more cockpitless aircraft, I wont support this product further.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Even if he does not mumble but gives you the ICAO code and the name of the place, you still won't be able to find it. It is simply IMPOSSIBLE to find a specific airport because there is no search option. For such a huge region you REALLY need a search option. All you can do now is Google for it and try to find it after that in Flight. Searching the map is absolutely impossible because there are too many airports and you have to zoom in very close to see most of them.

Yes, the map is ver 'low res'. I just did a flight to an airport that was on the shore of a lake: the entire lake wasn't visible on the map. This makes finding some places just by looking at landmarks impossible unless you have a real paper map.

Even worse, In multiplayer I cannot see the icons of other players in Alaska. I have almost zero way to find them.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Map needs more selectable filter controls, for sure. And a Search box.

One thing I was thinking though, which I now feel even more strongly is that with FSX, companies like Orbx had to basically come in and clean up the whole sandbox: pretty much tossing default FSX terrain into the garbage to put in something better over which to place their own stuff.

Should the time ever come when the 3PD's are loosed on Flight, I suspect there will only be a tiny bit of that to do (if any at all)

Instead, I could see Orbx, Aerosoft and others falling back to pumping out mass quantities of photo-real towns, cities and airports, with very little worry about the overall terrain.

And of course lots and lots of Planes.

With MS still holding the leash so the program doesn't get bogged down with all sorts of possibly mutually non-cooperative modules.

It would be an interesting future.

Devons rig

Why do they use a preschool map? I believe FAA sectionals are in the public domain, and even if they don't want to use that (because they can be intimidating) there are many options in between full on sectional and worthless-blobs-of-color. I really enjoy matching maps with the world in real-life, and wince a little every time I load the nearly worthless map in Flight.

Oh well. Thanks for all the pictures and information, everyone.