Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HughesMDflyer4

Carbon Cub...How is it?

For those that have Alaska, how do you like the Carbon Cub? Can it take off in super short distances like in some of the videos posted on here prior to announcement of the Cub? How does it handle? I know it doesn't have a cockpit, and that upsets me, but if a deluxe version was offered someday, I'd like to know how well it flies too before getting it.

The carbon cub is an excellent performer. If you don't mind flying with only the hud for airspeed, compass, and altitude, the cockpit view with the eyepoint moved back is acceptable IMO. I haven't flown it with the mouse or in chase view. Its a little slower than the Maule but outperforms it hands down.

For those that have Alaska, how do you like the Carbon Cub? Yes, it`s awesome, just the lack having no cockpit.

Can it take off in super short distances like in some of the videos posted on here prior to announcement of the Cub? Yes, you can also do water assisted sand bar landings ;)

How does it handle? Very well, you can feel the high lift airfoil, it`s an agile STOL. Exact what i have expexted.

I know it doesn't have a cockpit, and that upsets me, but if a deluxe version was offered someday, I'd like to know how well it flies too before getting it. Agree. I move the eyepoint into the "external view cockpit" not an replacement, but works better then on the warbirds.

For those that have Alaska, how do you like the Carbon Cub? Yes, it`s awesome, just the lack having no cockpit.

Can it take off in super short distances like in some of the videos posted on here prior to announcement of the Cub? Yes, you can also do water assisted sand bar landings ;)

How does it handle? Very well, you can feel the high lift airfoil, it`s an agile STOL. Exact what i have expexted.

I know it doesn't have a cockpit, and that upsets me, but if a deluxe version was offered someday, I'd like to know how well it flies too before getting it. Agree. I move the eyepoint into the "external view cockpit" not an replacement, but works better then on the warbirds.

Perfect description! +++1

I agree completely! The Piper Cub was my favorite airplane in FS 9 and 10, and it has quickly become my favorite in Flight (although I do love and won't give up the RV, Icon, Stearman...) There's not much reason to check the panel in a Cub anyway and the HUD is acceptable for what is needed.

It would have been nicer to have a working panel, but there's no sense in endlessly griping about a video game, that's just trivial.

One thing, though, you will have to do mostly power-on landings (that last image is a mistake!) especially in rough weather like the Mixed Weather Theme. And expect to get tossed about a lot! :LMAO: Thank goodness it's not for real. Just%20Kidding.gif

Best regards.

Luis

Great images Luis! And yes, together with the Maule and the RV6, the Cub is now the airplane I fly the most, as a mater of fact, the only I've been flying for casual sightseeing around Alaska :-)

When I move the viewpoint back, at one point I can see a panel with all the instruments on it. What's up with that?

CubPanel.jpg

And up a little and I get a Pilot.

CubPilot.jpg

That's the "external" visual model, Bob. It's part of the airplane model which is distinct from the Virtual Cockpit. The artist modeled the entire airplane inside and out, including the engine, plenum, and exhaust :Hypnotized: . Even though you can't normally see these parts from the outside in Spot View, by moving your viewpoint, the way you did, you can see the detail "inside" the external model.

The inside of the Cub (and all the airplanes without cockpit) is just a bitmap, an image of a panel. But, there are no working instrument gauges there.

Fortunately, the artist used a much higher resolution image for the Cub interior than was used on the combat airplanes, so it looks a lot better when flying from the "inside".

Best regards.

Luis

When I move the viewpoint back, at one point I can see a panel with all the instruments on it. What's up with that?

That's a simple flat screenshot pasted into the 3D model of the Cub. Even when you see an airplane from the outise you usually can see the cockpit and everything that's in it. The panel has no working instruments at all. All none-VC planes have a similar panel.

EDIT

What Luis said... :wink:

Thanks for the explanation, I figured that it was just the instrument panel and they were "hiding it" from us for awhile. Well anyway, going to try flying the cub for the first time this morning now that it has some sort of insides to it...

With a little adjustment and a save flight, one doesn't have to keep moving the eyepoint back

Well I had a heck of a time getting this Cub flight together and finally gave up. It may be because I have Track IR or Gmap running at he same time, but when I would switch views after getting everything set as far as eyepoint , I would lose the view I had with the eyepoint back, and be back to the nothing but scenery view. I also tried saving he configuration by saving the flight, but that didn't work either. At one point I even got stuck in mouse control mode despite hitting spacebar and had to reboot the computer. Reminded me of the old days of FS.

So I finally dragged out the Icon and took a short flight out of Ketchikan, found a small lake that looked barely big enough and landed there. Then I flew back to Ketchikan and landed at the water runway next to the cruise ship.

Is the lake big enough to land?????

Isthatlakebigenough.jpg

Plenty of room

Guessso.jpg

Well I had a heck of a time getting this together and finally gave up. It may be because I have Track IR or Gmap running at he same time, but when I would switch views after getting everything set, I would lose the view I had with the eyepoint back, and be back to the nothing but scenery view.

The second link J posted covers how to permanently reposition the Screenshot camera inside the fake cockpit. So, rather than hitting your Cockpit View button, just select Screenshot View and you are in the fake cockpit.

For those that have Alaska, how do you like the Carbon Cub? Can it take off in super short distances like in some of the videos posted on here prior to announcement of the Cub? How does it handle? I know it doesn't have a cockpit, and that upsets me, but if a deluxe version was offered someday, I'd like to know how well it flies too before getting it.

Compared to the stearman for example the Flight model of the Carbon Cub feels simpler and more like a "Basic" plane. My guess is if a deluxe version of the Carbon Cub comes out it will come with a better FM too.

I am comparing it with the stearman because I simply love flying it and I think(my opinion) the stearman is the best modelled aircraft in Flight.

Well I found out where the problem is. The reposition of viewpoint and Track IR don't seem to get along. I can save the flight, reload the flight and the view is there. I turn on Track Ir, reload the flight and the view is gone. Then I reload the flight with Track IR off, its fine, then turn track IR on, and track IR won't work anymore. . So I can fly it without Track IR running apparently, and that's it

Ah, ok. I wrote about the InitialXyz parameter before TIR support came along and have not reexamined it since. I will look into it next week when I get home. There may be a solution.

Ah, ok. I wrote about the InitialXyz parameter before TIR support came along and have not reexamined it since. I will look into it next week when I get home. There may be a solution.

I don't think Bobsk8 was referring to changes in the cfg's as explained in the tutorial but to changes using the ingame keys. The cfg tweaks to set the initial position still work. It's the moving of the position in Flight itself that doesn't work as we were used to when TrackIR is enabled.

All controls to change the position while flying don't work anymore unless you pause TrackIR. And when you do pause TIR, change the position using the ingame keys and then unpause TIR, the position is set to default again! So if you want to use the screenshotview to put you into the pilotseat of the Cub, you will have to use the cfg to do so because repositioning yourself in the game, with TIR paused and using the various keys, will only work as long as TIR is paused... Unpause it and you are back to the view as defined in the cfg.

I don't think Bobsk8 was referring to changes in the cfg's as explained in the tutorial but to changes using the ingame keys. The cfg tweaks to set the initial position still work. It's the moving of the position in Flight itself that doesn't work as we were used to when TrackIR is enabled.

All controls to change the position while flying don't work anymore unless you pause TrackIR. And when you do pause TIR, change the position using the ingame keys and then unpause TIR, the position is set to default again! So if you want to use the screenshotview to put you into the pilotseat of the Cub, you will have to use the cfg to do so because repositioning yourself in the game, with TIR paused and using the various keys, will only work as long as TIR is paused... Unpause it and you are back to the view as defined in the cfg.

Will changing this config file affect all the aircraft in Flight, because to me that wouldn't be worth it..?

That is true, I am just talking about the in-game adjustments.

I was having a lot of fun doing improper things with it this morning. I clear skies, winter, and an airport up around Anchorage. I would then land on a mountain top and taxi to the edge and with flaps down I would start down the slope. With the engine off I would then wait until I build up enough speed to get airborne and try to glide over to a lower hill and start over. I also found that you can maintain altitude with full flaps at about 44% power giving you a airspeed of about 44kts. Great fun but like others I wish it had a cockpit.

Will changing this config file affect all the aircraft in Flight, because to me that wouldn't be worth it..?

Yes, it will but... the idea is that you first enable the screenshotview (which is a view that's disabled by default) and then change ONLY the settings of THAT view to put you into the pilotposition of the Cub! Now of course this will also change the default position of the screenshotview in other planes, but since the idea is to use this screenshotview ONLY for the pilotview in the cub, it won't really hurt other aircraft... if you know what I mean... :wink:

That is true, I am just talking about the in-game adjustments.

If you alter the Cockpit View, then yes. So, don't do that.

There is a Screenshot View that works like the cockpit view, but is disabled by default. The Views Tutorial explains how to enable it and park that view inside the fake cockpit.

So, with the Cub, you would fly from the Screenshot View instead of the Cockpit View, which would remain untouched for flying the other planes.

With a little adjustment and a save flight, one doesn't have to keep moving the eyepoint back

I know I'm late but how do you get this view? Since this Cub is free I might as well make the most of it but I can't seem to get the view to track back to the inside of the cockpit. The how-to to doing this should be pinned in this forum....

Well I left Track IR off this afternoon, and took off from Anchorage Aprt to Whittier flying down Turnagain Arm. On the way, I stopped at Girdwood airport for a break. Took off again, and continued to Whittier, flew past the Glacier at Portage on the right side, and though a pass, and down over Whittier, making a circling approach. The first attempt at landing on the upsloping runway, I misjudged the sink rate of the Cub, and as I touched down, I could see I was going to hit the woods at teh end of the runway before I got stopped, so I pushed the throttle forward and took off and the Cub just made it over the tops of the trees ( whew), Thank goodness for the STOL capability of the Cub. Second approach was much slower, and landing was great.

Shrtrunwayslopinguptreesatend.jpg

WhittierAirport.jpg

I must admit, this Cub is a great flying aircraft. I hope they will have floats as an option.

here is a video of a real Carbon Cub with floats, on takeoff.

I had been flying with the HUD disabled and using only instruments.........

But in the challenges that require the cub you need some sort of instruments, so the HUD is back on......... (bleah)