Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

How much do you use rudder pedals?

Anyway, the rudder trim is working acceptably for me when cruising. I don't recall at exactly what RPM I use to cruise, but once the RPMs are retarded from max, at cruise level flight, the rudder trim does it's job acceptably with just one click in the joystick button I assigned to it.

Hmm, are the rudder trim increments finer when assigned to the stick , versus a single scroll of the mouse wheel on the trim button in the Maule cockpit?

I tried it using the trim button, have not tried it assigned to a joystick button. Was way too coarse using the trim button.

Anyway, the rudder trim is working acceptably for me when cruising. I don't recall at exactly what RPM I use to cruise, but once the RPMs are retarded from max, at cruise level flight, the rudder trim does it's job acceptably with just one click in the joystick button I assigned to it.

I turn 2400rpm for cruise, usually, at about 144kts, and the first touch of rudder trim (not even showing 1 degree yet on the VC tooltip) is too much and starts a slow roll to the right.

Can you check your cruise settings the next flight?

Hmm, are the rudder trim increments finer when assigned to the stick , versus a single scroll of the mouse wheel on the trim button in the Maule cockpit?

I tried it using the trim button, have not tried it assigned to a joystick button. Was way too coarse using the trim button.

Mine seems good at zero in level flight according to the readout on the trim knob. One click one way or another, and the Maule starts to turn.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Frequent comment in the cockpit is, " What!!! , what did you say? ".

What?

Mine seems good at zero in level flight according to the readout on the trim knob. One click one way or another, and the Maule starts to turn

That is what I experience as well. I set my cruising rpm to 2300.

I turn 2400rpm for cruise, usually, at about 144kts, and the first touch of rudder trim (not even showing 1 degree yet on the VC tooltip) is too much and starts a slow roll to the right.

I use 2300 Rpm which is suggested in the check list with 25 in manifold pressure. Flies straight. ( not sure what speed I am going)

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I use 2300 Rpm which is suggested in the check list with 25 in manifold pressure. Flies straight. ( not sure what speed I am going)

That is about where I am, and mine certainly does not stay straight, just a slight pull to the left - again, only after the title update.

My cruising speed typically ends up around 142-146 kts, depending on wind and direction.

I'll do it and report back... Wify on the puter tonight too, so... maybe only tomorrow :-|

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

That is about where I am, and mine certainly does not stay straight, just a slight pull to the left - again, only after the title update.

My cruising speed typically ends up around 142-146 kts, depending on wind and direction.

Could it be calibration of something like rudder pedals?

That is what I experience as well. I set my cruising rpm to 2300.

Hmm... I may try backing mine down some then. She just sounds better at 2400. :)

Checklist? Oh, yeah. Maybe I should look at that sometime!

Could it be calibration of something like rudder pedals?

Well I don't think so, all appears well in the windows panel, but who knows - again this only occured after the title update, and I am pretty sure it was stated they changed something on the prop torque effects in the Maule? And it sounds like I am not the only one this has happened to.

I'm a newbie here, investigating the envelope in my IBIS (High wing, 10 hrs of fuel, Rotax 100hp, 600kg MTOW, 2 POB). I've never done any simulator time since a few hours with the MS product, but to be honest, I found it boring. I have flown Weight Shift, Gyrocopter and fixed wing - total time only 620 hours though. I saw on Google: "How much do you use the rudder pedals". This is important to me because ONLY THE PEDALS, USED ALONE will get you out of a (real) spin, and my view is that can only mean that pedals used alone obviously can't put you into a spin. Surely?

So, I generally fly on rudder alone. Trim ailerons for balance (the wing tanks don't draw equally from both sides), trim elevator and throttle for straight and level, HANDS OFF THE YOKE, trim the rudder so we fly straight even with feet off. Then I'll fly hundreds of miles, through the valleys even, with the lightest touch on the pedals. Yes, I yaw into the turns - but GENTLY thus giving the outer wing time to become the faster, more lift, and we bank into the turn with the ball pretty much centred. Maybe shorter wings show this effect less, but I'm convinced it's always there - see 'secondary effects of the controls'.

Yes, if we rudder quickly out of the turn the plane gets a bit unbalanced, but that's EXACTLY the sort of unbalance you need to get out of a spin!

I believe the mantra "You have to fly balanced" is b*llsh*t - look at the 'stall turn' - the ball is jammed hard against the downward stop!

Balanced turns are great to avoid the passengers in 1st Class spilling their Bollinger, but if you are too slow, levelling up with the ailerons can too readily stall the low wing and flick you over, but levelling up with the rudder never will.

And, here's a thought - how many simulator 'fliers' when coming in to land from a circuit join, "spin out" when turning to final? It's all too common in real life. If nobody has this problem, I would have to doubt the reality of the simulation. The solution (which, once more, no instructor will recommend) is, as well as favouring the rudder, to make your glide a little steeper in the turn thus countering the additional drag and avoiding stalling the inner wing. Why not just add throttle? Because one day (hopefully never, but let's be prepared) life may force you to do a dead-stick landing with a useless throttle, and better a dead stick than a dead crew!

Do I ever use the ailerons? Yes, for take-off and landing, steep climbs and dives, lazy-8, throwing the plane around in 3-dimensions, and I leave my hand on the yoke in heavy turbulence, but I LEAD with the rudder, and balance WITH THE AILERONS. I believe that provides the best spin avoidance. I agree fully with the comments on 'real flying' from jcom and Hook. Even instructors can't tell the difference in the behaviour of the plane if you lead with the rudder. All my flight is treated as a continuous power-on stall, in other words, but much further from the critical AOA, with aileron added in complex situations and when I am doing a flight test!

As a matter of interest, does the simulator permit a lazy-8 (or linked wing-overs) with the wings going 90 degrees to the horizon?

I am glad I don't fly a desk (oops, simulator) because I depend so much on the vibration of the airframe, the pressure of the seat, that thump right through your body when you are hit by a savage upthrust, the sight of your notebook falling upwards out of your pocket when you are hit by a downdraft, and the adrenalin kick when you suddenly find you are leaning on the door, the horizon straight up-and-down the windshield pillar, because an off-centre rotor has thrown you over and there is about 0.5 second left for you to "kick for the sky". In those conditions you fly down nearer the stall point, so that heavy gusts will stall the wings rather than tearing them off (I'm not joking) and to aileron up through 90 degrees will definitely spin you.

Do try flying the simulator through foehn winds and clear air rotor in strong gusts across a mountain range, and then get some time being taken for a ride there in a real plane.

Even the airlines with VERY clever simulators, are now seriously considering having their pilots do real-world 'unusual attitude' flying, but I can only guess at their reasons.

Having said that, I'm sure modern simulators are fascinating and a great deal of fun - I'm not knocking them, far from it, but I suspect they have a way to go!

Well welcome to Avsim PLC!  :smile:

That's one big first post! I suggest you look around the forums, there are quite a few simulators represented with varying levels of "realism" and almost certainly something here to provide the level of fidelity you're interested in.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5