Sign in to follow this  
watermouse

Really? Nobody plays this or is enthusiastic enough to post?

I'm also surprised that more people don't want to discuss DCS on Avsim

I do :-)

not yet the A-10C, but already the p-51d and the BS2...

The main problem is that someone getting into this overwhelming DCS World will soon become so busy reading accross the many manuals, and following the DCS forums, and starting training sessions, etc... that (at least with me) time for any other flight simulators vanishes...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Yes, you need to take it slow with these sims. Don't get overwhelmed. The A10 will take a few weeks to get down pat with all the systems. Even then, I was still shakey with it. Black Shark is also very complex. Right now, Im thinking of getting FC3, just for the F-15.

Rob

I love this sim! I have always loved the A10 since laying on the beach in Myrtle Beach watching them take off over head. (long long time ago)

I think if I had a like minded friend to multi player with this sim would be my absolute favorite (over fsx).

The flight dynamics are different than any fsx ac I have flown. So sometimes it gets hard to transition back and forth. But to stay current in the ac I fly it at least once a month.

DCS is actually the reason I bought a new computer, trackir, controllers....ended up costing me a few thousand bucks. But it is as real as it gets for a combat sim.

Once I bought all of that new stuff I realized hey maybe I should go back to FSX and see how that is again.....and now I only fly sims. Uninstalled any other game I used to play - BF2-3, ARMA

Death from above.....30 mike mike style.

PS My roomate flies F5s for the Navy and cringes every time I say the A10 is the best plane in today's operating theater......Fight Pilots make movies strike planes make history......he hates that.....hehe :P

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

The last fighting sim I played was IL-2 and that was several years ago. Prior to that it was EAW and Longbow, and prior to that going all the way to the 1980s it was everything from Micropose to Dynamix to whatever. For several years now it has all been FSX and civilian flying. I can even remember, however vaguely, playing the fighting game in Sublogic FS2.0 where you saw something that looked like a Tie Fighter coming at you over a grid framed by 1 dimensional mountains.

Tonight I did my first tentative baby steps with the targeting pod in the A-10, making liberal use of the pause key in order to get it all the right finger movements down on the hotas stick (it is like playing a guitar).

All I can say is Wow! I really didn't realize I was getting in to this kind of sophistication in a desktop simulation. Maybe my giddiness comes from the fact that I've been living in the FSX vacuum for so long, but I really can't describe how cool it was to see for the first time the Flir track the target and see the hud guide me on the attack run, and then see the the camera tilt on the MFD. Just astonishing. 3 weeks ago, when I made my initial inquiries about purchasing this simulation, I truly thought that I was just simply looking to replace the simple P-51 in FSX with a similar P-51 that could fire it's weapons. And now I'm flying an ultra deep simulation of the A-10!

The Warthog Hotas with all its little Slew controls for every finger on left and right hand...priceless!

I missed, badly by the way. Didn't even come close. :P

• Upvote 1

I feel you king. i have been around along time in fighter sims. The most seat time I have in any plane is the Falcon 4. But it seems like I played something like Red Baron...or something that was basically squares moving around grids.

I do love the gun on the A10.

oh and wait until you start working with a FAC at night. That laser looks great on the run in.

Have fun!

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

Tbqh I think that Avsim is based more around civil flying more than anything else- I have the hog and Blackshark and their great fun but I just don't have as much to talk about them as I do with the Civil aspect of my flight simming.

Tbqh I think that Avsim is based more around civil flying more than anything else- I have the hog and Blackshark and their great fun but I just don't have as much to talk about them as I do with the Civil aspect of my flight simming.

I actually think there is also a bandwagon effect here as well. The more people that post on here, the more people will subsequently post. I have been aware of DCS for years, and even owned the Black Shark 1 when it first came out. For whatever reason, I never got into it, probably because I was also just getting started with FSX at the same time, and it just fell by the wayside. Also because in the version I had the displays were actually in Russian! Considering how immersed I am in it now though, I don't know what I was thinking. Now that I'm up and running on a good machine though, I see DCS as almost a natural extension of my flight simulation hobby that I'm finally ready for. Before planes like the Concorde or the other complex airliners, I think I would have been completely repulsed by the complexity that is present in DCS. Now that I'm a good pilot though, and comfortable rising to the challenge of 1000 page manuals for just one particular airplane (and have the patience), I almost see this as just a new ultra-cool addon for FSX. While others are getting desparate for the T7, I'm fully entertained and busy learning the A-10C and KA-50! :t4011:

Just getting into DCS here. Always had a thing for A-10s as there were some based near where I grew up.

When I first installed it I couldn't get my mouse cursor to show up. I opened a ticket and was just told to update my video drivers which I do regularly for FSX and X-plane anyway.... Didn't help. Only recently did I see the updated FAQ that tells one to un check show trails for the mouse. That fixed it all finally.... Can't wait to fly it some tonight.

Sent with Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy S3

HP Omen Intel Core i9 @ 3.6GHz
64GB RAM @ 1596MHz, NVidia GeForce RTX 3090
Windows 10 64bit, 2 x 2TB SSD, 2TB 7200RPM SATA Drive

If you can, please don't miss the p51d. It's the only simulation of a prop aircraft worth the mention, I'd dare writing flawless, I ever experienced in all my simmer life (more than 20 yrs!!!!). Nothing compares to it, in any other platform I have ever used!

A Masterpiece.

The KA-50 awaits for spare time to study the many manual pages, tutorials, etc...

I also have the A10C. I had the original A10 in LOMAC, but never used it back in 2005 because my system simply couldn't run the simulator properly and I eventually gave up on LOMAC and FC.

And there's an UH1 in the way!!!!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Avsim I've always thought of as GA type simming not military for DCS have always gone to the Eagle Dynamics forums.

DCS is a fantastic sim, very deep but as pointed out above it needs more to do and also for me I want to fight all over the world, not the same piece of it since LOMAC days.

Avsim I've always thought of as GA type simming not military for DCS have always gone to the Eagle Dynamics forums.

DCS is a fantastic sim, very deep but as pointed out above it needs more to do and also for me I want to fight all over the world, not the same piece of it since LOMAC days.

It would be great, yes, to have more scenery areas, but, from a RL pilot perspective, all I ask in a *** Flight *** simulator is that is presents plausible / good / credible flight dynamics, and overall aircraft systems simulation, etc... even if I have to "sacrifice" it for scenery area and even the military aspects which are really not that interesting for me... Strangely I keep flying my p51d just for pleasure, simply to feel how I would like to find the best models for other simulation platforms perform... I will do the same with the A10C and the KA-50, when I feel at ease with their sophisticated systems simulation.

OTOH the scenery, even if limited and outdated still gives me a much better sensation of being there than the best sceneries I installed for either MSFS or X-Plane ...

Main Simulation Rig:

Having Orbx, Opus, FSX, Accufeel I think A2A aircraft are up there with DCS in terms of feel and also things like the Milviz Sabre and RealAir Legacy etc. Of course systems in DCS are at a level that maybe only PMDG comes close to and the Dodsim 206 is the only helicopter worth flying apart from the DCS Ka50.

I own and enjoy both sims and generally for different things.

Yes, A2A's p51d Civil (which I also own) is the closest you can get to DCS World p51d, and that one should be the closest you can get to the real thing....

I've tested a lot of maneuvers on both A2A Civil p51d, and in the DCS model.... I still prefer, by far, the DCS p51d roll-yaw coupling, modelling of all prop effects (where A2A's model is limited when it comes to slipstream, etc... because from the core MSFS only offers torque and p-factor, and a few more parameters... but certainly using their own code, A2A has done a great job!).

DCS is the only sim I have installed now, and I wont bother reinstalling FSX, and even maybe X-Plane10 unless something really miraculous happens

Main Simulation Rig:

With the cub I can stand on the brakes and lift the tail up with the prop wash so A2A's modelling is not bad.

Just wish A2A would port their warbirds to DCS as would classic hangers with their FW-190's.....

With the cub I can stand on the brakes and lift the tail up with the prop wash so A2A's modelling is not bad.

Just wish A2A would port their warbirds to DCS as would classic hangers with their FW-190's.....

Yes, propwash works on any well designed fs9 / fsx / cfs2 model.... I meant slipstream effects, when the spiraling slipstream hits different surfaces of your aircraft, in different ways deppending also on the situation / flight regime, and pushes the tail to the right (just like p-factor), but it has many other effects too, like overcoming the torque from a powerful engine because the spiral hits the down side of the left wing, thus pushing it up, and avoiding an even more pronnounced torque-induced roll to the left... This varies with speed and RPM settings, and other factors... and, DCS World p51d models it to that level of detail!!!!

Also, on post stall stituations, A2A's model even if a LOT better than other MSFS add-ons, falls short from the DCS p51d...

etc....

Main Simulation Rig: